Movie questions

amotto11

amotto11

I have a couple of questions, I am new to Emby so you may have to bear with me.

1.) I have a couple hundred movies in my digital collection, most are in the video_ts folder format, and I have just added them to my Emby library. It appears that all the movies came in correctly, as far as I can tell, except two. The file structure for all my movies is /ExternalDrive/Media/Movies/Name of Movie Folder/Video_ts/(all .vob, .ifo and .bup files). The names of the movies that are not coming in correctly are labeled "X-Men First Class" and "Harry Potter and The Half Blood Prince". It seems emby wants to change its name to "X-Men First Class Rejects" (which when googled does seem to be a spoof movie or something) and "Big Movie Premier: Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince". Does anyone know what the issue is with these movies, or how i can fix it?

2.) Since my movies are in the Video_ts format, that means that I have captured the menus and all, but when I play them on Emby online the menus are not coming up, it's just going straight to the movie. Do I have a setting wrong? I know the menus are in there, because when I play them over smb to the vlc player on my windows computer they come up. Also loading them into Kodi, without Emby for Kodi, they play too. Now with Emby for Kodi they aren't playing either, it just goes straight to the movie.

d00zah

1) MAY BE that the lack of release year in the folder name introduces ambiguity? My folders are named:

Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince (2009)

X-Men- First Class (2011)

& scraping works fine. Check http://emby.media/community/index.php?/forum/24-tutorials-and-guides/ for suggested naming conventions.

2) Search the the forum for 'video_ts'... I believe this is considered a 'lesser supported' format...

http://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/13774-dvd-structure-oddities/?hl=video_ts

• Like 1

amotto11

1.) Thank you very much for the help. It seems you were right on my naming convention. I will go and change all of my movies, luckily, I am only half way through ripping my collection, the rest will be named correctly. Thanks!

2.) That is unfortunate to hear, I like to have the menus and such in all of my movies, especially tv shows. I hope this can get added.

chef

What you could consider doing, is placing the menu videos in a hidden folder called "backdrop".

This will play the menu video behind the playback screen in some clients.

In a sense you have recreated the movie menu in emby.

For more info on this look into the video backdrop plugin.

Edited by chef

d00zah

2) You could configure Emby to use an external player that supports this format, but I believe the 'party line' is that most people are moving to containers (.mkv, et al) & things, in general, are moving away from folders, .iso, etc..That's the gist of related discussion.

I stored my library in .iso format for years, but since I really didn't care about trailers, bonus features, etc.., I ultimately converted everything to .mkv due to waning support.  MakeMKV w/ one of the community batch front-ends made (relatively) quick work of it,

depending on the size of your collection.

AdrianW

2.) That is unfortunate to hear, I like to have the menus and such in all of my movies, especially tv shows. I hope this can get added.

I can understand wanting a full disk rip for a movie, but why TV shows? Surely having all the episodes as separate files would make navigating much easier, and allow Emby to keep track of your watched status for a season more easily.

amotto11

Thank you all for your comments. I am new to this sort of thing, so in the past just using VLC on my PC, i could choose the episodes of a TV show from within the menu of each ripped disc. I have not tried to put my TV shows into Emby yet, but it appears I may have to do some configuring to make it work. This is my file structure for my tv shows /ExternalDrive/Media/TV Shows/Big Bang Theory/Season 1/Disc (1, 2, 3, etc)/Video_ts/(all .vob, .ifo and .bup files).

Vidman

If you rip episodes as individual files they will be individually selectable (and watched/resume status tracked) from with in Emby you can even add and access extras/specials this way, and also have background videos like DVD menu have