New Emby init.d script Not Working?

ilikerolls
Go to solution Solved by curtisghanson,

EMBYSERVER=${EMBY_PATH}/emby-server.sh

+1

sysVinit doesnt start the daemon, dont know why, there are symlinks to rc.d , 

but if you correct the EMBYSERVER variable in upstart script,then you need to enable systemd service... voaila.. fixed.

systemctl is-enabled emby-server.service
systemctl enable emby-server.service

I just released a new package revision for Debian/Ubuntu that should fix the startup scripts issues.

I could only test with Ubuntu 14.04 fresh install so please if anyone out there can try the new packages and give some feedback I will really appreciate it.

These are only package revisions to fix the problems reported in this thread, they are not a new Emby release.

Thanks.

Edited by fc7

LongDono

Thanks.  I gave it a go on my existing install and the new package doesn't work properly.

During installation, there were two errors about prerm not being found (during subsequent reinstall, these errors did not appear).

The issue is that, after the server was re-started, the installer ceases to output anything else and doesn't respond to anything, even ctrl-c.  I closed the SSH connection and reconnected to the server.

Tried to run the upgrade again, but it said the files were still locked (previous process didn't close when I disconnected).

I ran "sudo service emby-server stop" and tried the upgrade again, this time it said there were no files to upgrade, so it seems like the installer is starting the server and then not continuing itself until the server is shutdown.

I rebooted the system and emby server did not automatically start.  At that point I uninstalled emby-server and reinstalled it.

Setting up emby-server (3.0.5713.0.git0ddcbaf) ...
 * Starting emby-server daemon                                                   [ OK ] 

It once again hung, so I opened another SSH session and shut emby-server down...

Processing triggers for libc-bin (2.19-0ubuntu6.6) ...

me@myserver:~$ 

...after which, the installer resumed and finished.

I restarted the server and emby-server still doesn't start on reboot.  It still starts with the usual "sudo service emby-server start".

Thank you for your efforts,

...Donovan

Edited by LongDono

@LongDono: how did you upgrade? It seems you are install Emby 3.0.5713 (latest beta) while you should be installing 3.0.5675.1 (latest stable).

There should be two different packages: emby-server (3.0.5675.2) which is the latest stable and emby-server-beta (3.0.5713) which is a whole different package.

And you should be getting emby-server package and not emby-server-beta. If this is the case then something is broken/wrong with the build system.

I will look into it when I have some time.

It is possible that there was a problem with the repo.

I think I fixed now but you may need to remove emby-server-beta (that is the version that I think you got) and install again emby-server.

Other people updating shouldn't face this problem and they should stay with emby-server (3.0.5675.2) but just a new revision.

Sorry for the inconvenience.

Just update the package like you update any other packages.

$ sudo apt-get update

$ sudo apt-get upgrade emby-server

Or update all your packages:

$ sudo apt-get update

$ sudo apt-get upgrade
  • Like 1

fbrassin

I tried this:

apt-get upgrade emby-server

Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
Calculating upgrade... Done
emby-server is already the newest version.
The following packages have been kept back:
  owncloud python-pip
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 2 not upgraded.

My current version is:

Versione 3.0.5675.1 

It seems not to find new version.

I tried this:

My current version is:

Versione 3.0.5675.1 [/size]

It seems not to find new version.[/size]

Did you run "sudo apt-get update" before running "sudo apt-get upgrade emby-server"?

You need to refresh the repos before updating.

geaves

Just update the package like you update any other packages.

$ sudo apt-get update

$ sudo apt-get upgrade emby-server

Having posted originally regarding the 140+ updates I have been following this thread, the above works, installs all the updates previously listed with no errors and Emby starts.

Thank you.

fbrassin

Did you run "sudo apt-get update" before running "sudo apt-get upgrade emby-server"?

You need to refresh the repos before updating.

Yes, i did 

sudo apt-get update

before and then

sudo apt-get upgrade emby-server

It tells me:

apt-get upgrade emby-server

Building dependency tree
Calculating upgrade... Done
emby-server is already the newest version.

• 4 weeks later...

Since my emby and kodi setup is currently broken (can't stream files from Kodi anymore), decided to look into fixing this again.

It is possible that there was a problem with the repo.

I think I fixed now but you may need to remove emby-server-beta (that is the version that I think you got) and install again emby-server.

An attempt to remove emby-server-beta shows nothing to remove, so that does not appear to have been the case.

Uninstalling and reinstalling didn't work because it wasn't trying to replace the broken existing files.  I renamed them in case they were needed, and sure enough, after a reinstall, all upstart could find was embyserver.old, from the old /etc/init.d/embyserver.old, that had renamed. 

I tried purging the conf files and had to update from GIT because of a missing file.  I really don't understand why the system needs files manually provided like this, when updating the package should supply any and all necessary files; I assume it was because of errors with the original package.

Purging configuration files for emby-server (3.0.5724.4) ...
/var/lib/dpkg/info/emby-server.postrm: 41: [: missing ]

To fix that:

longde@Crushinator:~$ wget https://raw.githubusercontent.com/MediaBrowser/Emby.Build/master/debian/postrm
--2015-09-19 15:15:29--  https://raw.githubusercontent.com/MediaBrowser/Emby.Build/master/debian/postrm
Resolving raw.githubusercontent.com (raw.githubusercontent.com)... 23.235.44.133
Connecting to raw.githubusercontent.com (raw.githubusercontent.com)|23.235.44.133|:443... connected.
HTTP request sent, awaiting response... 200 OK
Length: 1373 (1.3K) [text/plain]
Saving to: ‘postrm’

100%[===========================================================================>] 1,373       --.-K/s   in 0s      

2015-09-19 15:15:30 (87.4 MB/s) - ‘postrm’ saved [1373/1373]

longde@Crushinator:~$ sudo mv postrm /var/lib/dpkg/info/emby-server.postrm 
longde@Crushinator:~$ sudo apt-get remove --purge emby-server
Building dependency tree       
The following packages will be REMOVED:
  emby-server*
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 1 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
After this operation, 0 B of additional disk space will be used.
Do you want to continue? [Y/n] Y
(Reading database ... 200296 files and directories currently installed.)
Removing emby-server (3.0.5724.4) ...
Purging configuration files for emby-server (3.0.5724.4) ...
userdel: user 'emby' does not exist
longde@Crushinator:~$ 

During the reinstall, I got a complaint about a directory not belonging to emby:

Setting up emby-server (3.0.5724.4) ...
Warning: The home directory /usr/lib/emby-server you specified already exists.
Adding system user `emby' (UID 112) ...
Adding new user `emby' (UID 112) with group `emby' ...
The home directory `/usr/lib/emby-server' already exists. Not copying from `/etc/skel'.
adduser: Warning: The home directory `/usr/lib/emby-server' does not belong to the user that you are currently creating.
emby-server start/running, process 8867
Processing triggers for libc-bin (2.19-0ubuntu6.6) ...
Processing triggers for ureadahead (0.100.0-16) ...
longde@Crushinator:~longde@Crushinator:~$ nbsp;

If it was the wrong user, the installer appears to have changed it:

drwxr-xr-x  7 emby emby         4096 Sep 19 15:20 emby-server

And finally, emby-server properly restarting when Linux is booted. Yay!   :)
Now to figure out why Kodi can't stream files from Emby any more, despite both products being re-installed.

Cheers,
...Donovan
Edited by LongDono

• 1 month later...

So Today I downloaded and installed Emby Server. It doesn't run the service start command. Did you people come-up with the fix? Is it in the package? What's a good command for a first run service start?  "sudo service emby-server start"  returns "e: unable to locate package start" 

Would a shut down/restart help on a first run?

{KODIBUNTU 14.04.2; KODI 15.2; KERNEL 3.19.6  CHROMEBOX WITH HASWELL, 2GB} EVERYTHING IS A FRESH INSTALL.

Thanks for any help for this Noob!

hurricanehrndz

On a brand new fresh install of Ubuntu 14.04.3 today upstart is not working and emby will not start normally. 

This fix required

1. changing the ownership of /usr/lib/emby-server recursively to {USER}:{USER}
  2. chmod the emby-server.sh file to 775

After this the upstart seems to work. /usr/lib will require special permission where opt did not. If I knew more about the package install process I would try to help more but hopefully that will help who ever is maintaining it now. Its great to have upstart handeling the server. The auto restart will be helpful.

Copy and paste commands: ( you will have to change emby:emby if your not running emby as the user emby. )

sudo chown -R emby:emby /usr/lib/emby-server/
sudo chmod 775 /usr/lib/emby-server/emby-server.sh

Thanks for this feedback, sorry I didn't see it before. I was on vacation at the time. I know we remove ownership of the files emby to root because of packaging standards wasn't aware that it caused this issue. I think it might be a typo in the scripts though, because emby's home directory is suppose to be /var/lib/emby-server.

hurricanehrndz

So Today I downloaded and installed Emby Server. It doesn't run the service start command. Did you people come-up with the fix? Is it in the package? What's a good command for a first run service start?  "sudo service emby-server start"  returns "e: unable to locate package start" 

Would a shut down/restart help on a first run?

{KODIBUNTU 14.04.2; KODI 15.2; KERNEL 3.19.6  CHROMEBOX WITH HASWELL, 2GB} EVERYTHING IS A FRESH INSTALL.

Thanks for any help for this Noob!

I'm fixing this stuff in the beta package. Can I ask you try that instead once I'm done.

I'm fixing this stuff in the beta package. Can I ask you try that instead once I'm done.

HI Hurricane

I am about to install server on another chromebox. Did you want me to "try" something from the Beta you are working on? I know little, but I am willing to help if I can. You were helping me a bit last week, but I never did get emby to use my media. So I am starting over on another box. LMK

hurricanehrndz

One sec, I will ensure the beta package is at least up to date with stable. And yes I would love to know if the upstart script works. It should, i tested it on a 14.04 system. 

Well I installed the latest stable, but I haven't done anything with it yet. I can remove it and reinstall the dev, or , if you think it can be "upgraded to the dev, just tell me what to do.

Gary