Running Emby Media Browser Locally

rduoll

I'm trying to run Emby using Visual Studio 2013.

I downloaded the MediaBrowser repo and it builds just fine. I set the start project to "MediaBrowser.ServerApplication" and changed that project's type to a Console App. When I hit F5 to build and run it launches, and then it tries to open the wizardstart page, but I get a "Page Cannot be Displayed" error.

Is this all I need to do to get this up and running normally? Am I missing a step?

I have made no changes to the code whatsoever since I downloaded it.

Just a guess, but probably because it isn't actually installed - specifically the admin web client files. So the server may be running, but can't find the the resources to configure the application in your browser.

Is there a particular reason you are doing it this way?

I'll let someone with a lot more experience with the actual codebase confirm, but I suspect you need to build and deploy to a location if you want to tinker with it. Once it is configured, you can change the code and redeploy the libraries or mess with the web client html/css/js to your heart's content. I'm not sure you can have two installs side-by-side (listening on different ports, using different config directories, etc) so you probably have to dedicate a machine to be your dev environment.

I ended up figuring it out. The box I'm on has a proxy configured in the internet settings. I disabled that and I was able to get up and running. Just something stupid that I run on my box and I forgot about it.