• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 cjnp92 OFFLINE  

cjnp92

• Members
  • 1 posts
  • Local time: 07:18 AM

Posted 27 July 2015 - 06:45 PM

Hey, thanks for making such a great product, its working well with the exception that placing a file named .ignore into the subfolders I don't want to be scanned doesn't seem to be working on my mac. Is this the standard way of ignoring subfolders on OS X? 

Thanks for your help!

#2 Luke OFFLINE  

Luke

System Architect

• Administrators
  • 140179 posts
  • Local time: 01:18 AM

Posted 27 July 2015 - 08:54 PM

it should work but it's such an old convention of ours that it probably hasn't been tested in a while. another thing you can do is mark the folder hidden.

#3 mojopagoda OFFLINE  

mojopagoda

• Members
  • 4 posts
  • Local time: 06:18 PM

Posted 04 January 2019 - 07:30 AM

Hi... MacOS really makes it hard to make ".ignore" folders as "dot" files are system reserved - at least without resorting to command line shenanigans.  Also, it's quite hard to make a file or folder hidden.  I would like to be able to drop an .ignore file into a folder rather than make it hidden as it would be the more easily repeatable step.  There are actually a few situations where you might want to be able to easily exclude a folder from the emby server scans without having to re-configure your folder structure.  

#4 Happy2Play OFFLINE  

Happy2Play

Trial and Error

• Moderators
  • 16198 posts
  • Local time: 10:18 PM
  • LocationWashington State

Posted 04 January 2019 - 07:36 AM

Really old topic.

You can drop .ignore file in folder to be ignored.  And there are improvement in the next release 3.6 to ignore these system folders.

#5 mojopagoda OFFLINE  

mojopagoda

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 04 January 2019 - 09:56 AM

Hi... sorry for referring to a "really old topic" but actually you cannot easily MAKE a ".ignore" file.. Easy to drop one in, if you have one, but you can't make one in MacOS.  Other operating systems maybe.  If i am missing something then that's because I am not a programmer just a user.  I am not trying to ignore system folders, I am trying to ignore a folder that I use to queue subtitle searching using FlixTools so that I don't get maxed out on my opensubtitles account allowance.

#6 Luke OFFLINE  

Luke

System Architect

• Administrators
  • 140179 posts

Posted 04 January 2019 - 12:49 PM

Does finder not allow you to rename an ending file to .ignore?

#7 mojopagoda OFFLINE  

mojopagoda

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 07 January 2019 - 06:12 PM

Exactly. It generates an error saying that all files beginning with a dot are reserved for system purposes.

#8 hstamas OFFLINE  

hstamas

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 575 posts

Posted 08 January 2019 - 11:53 AM

Ive successfully created .ignore files in OSX 10.13 (High Sierra) that works in preventing Emby from scanning the folder. Just use COMMAND-SHIFT-Period to show hidden files and have at it. I use TextWrangler to create the .ignore file and make sure I save it in the most basic format possible.

See my screenshot.

Attached Files

#9 Luke OFFLINE  

Luke

System Architect

• Administrators
  • 140179 posts

Posted 08 January 2019 - 03:39 PM

That's great, thanks for the info !

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Organisation

0 user(s) are reading this topic