Emby freeze

fatannasty

computerprep

Understood, but all the posters in this thread (including me) only have the problem after they exit Emby normally.  It's opening Emby the second time we get the gray screen.  None of us had any freezing-related issues.

This problem hasn't surfaced for me in a while... but when it did, it definitely froze in the middle of playback. I agree with you that the gray screen only came after returning to Emby, but I could never get it to exit normally. Here's what would happen for me.

Video/Audio playback would pause. Back button would no longer respond inside the Emby app. Directional input would no longer respond inside the Emby app (to open the in-playback options for pause, skip, scenes, etc). The only way to remove the paused video from my tv was to hit the home button. This would return to the home screen, but Emby was still frozen in the background apps. Re-opening Emby (without first force-closing it) caused the gray screen immediately.

Force-closing the app from the settings menu, then reopening it after such a freeze was the only way to restore the Emby app to proper functions.

Again, this hasn't happened since late October or early November. I never did discover if it was repetitive with specific file types or codecs.

My suspicion is that the device was still attempting to connect to the server via WAN domain address instead of LAN IP address/port number. The bulk of my problems like this happened after I brought my device on vacation, where connection was exclusively over the WAN address. After bringing it home, it may have automatically attempted connection that way every time. Going through the "switch server" process probably helped me get back on track.

mickeyfinn

Just to be clear this is an accurate description of the issue I was having:

Video/Audio playback would pause. Back button would no longer respond inside the Emby app. Directional input would no longer respond inside the Emby app (to open the in-playback options for pause, skip, scenes, etc). The only way to remove the paused video from my tv was to hit the home button. This would return to the home screen, but Emby was still frozen in the background apps. Re-opening Emby (without first force-closing it) caused the gray screen immediately.

Given that computerprep saw his issue resolved by using the manual login and that my logs showed connections from external DNS while I had the problem, perhaps it actually was finally getting the manual connection working that solved this issue.  I will add though, that I am certain that the audio/video freeze always coincided exactly with a wake up event of some kind from my server (I could hear it each time).

I have been testing various media playback and have not had a repeat of the problem since.  Hopefully this will help someone else if they experience the same thing.

• 2 weeks later...