Emby freeze

fatannasty

mickeyfinn

So, I see this issue now on most of the files I play back.  However, I did notice that the Emby server appears to be waking from sleep when this happens.  I use Emby for Android also and this doesn't appear to be an issue, just Android TV.  I can mess around with the sleep settings on the server, but figured I'd report this in case it is significant.

mickeyfinn

It may be.  Though the file only appears to freeze when the system sounds like it is waking up.  Unfortunately, it is hard for me to see what is happening server side while I'm watching the Android TV app.  I believe this is only the display that is sleeping, not the disks etc.

mickeyfinn

Thanks Luke, I did not know the Android TV app had a built-in logging submission tool.  Very cool.  I will submit as soon as I can.

mickeyfinn

I posted logs and reproduced the issue where the video and audio freezes. I didn't have time to progress through to the subsequent freezes where the app crashes and ends up with the grey screen. I can do that another time. Hopefully this is a good start.

Can you please provide the other information requested when submitting logs from the app so I can find it?  Thanks.

• Exactly what you were doing and what happened.  Include the name of whatever you played if it is a playback problem
  • Any options you have changed from their default settings
  • The time you sent the log
  • The name of the Emby user on the local server that was logged in at the time

computerprep

It may be. Though the file only appears to freeze when the system sounds like it is waking up. Unfortunately, it is hard for me to see what is happening server side while I'm watching the Android TV app. I believe this is only the display that is sleeping, not the disks etc.

When this problem was occurring for me, it definitely had nothing to do with server sleep settings. My server uses some active disk power management, but the logs never showed changes in disk states during my playback problems. And it never ever goes fully to sleep. Periodic automated reboots are scheduled for the entire server and network system, but they're scheduled for off-peak times and never coincided with my previous playback freezing/grey frozen app problems.

That being said, I haven't been able to reproduce this exact freeze for a while now. Occasionally playback will pause and return me to the video detail page, but that only happens when the server is serving too many simultaneous transcodes for several different users.

mickeyfinn

What I was doing: playing an mkv movie (Ghostbusters), it got to about 20 minutes in, then the video froze and audio stopped for 10 seconds. It actually resumed playback this time.

Any options changed from default: None

Time log was sent: 6 PM Nov. 29

Emby user: mickeyfinn

What I was doing: playing an mkv movie (Ghostbusters), it got to about 20 minutes in, then the video froze and audio stopped for 10 seconds. It actually resumed playback this time.

Any options changed from default: None

Time log was sent: 6 PM Nov. 29

Emby user: mickeyfinn

Thanks.

The app/device lost the network connection to your server.

I/System.out(28940): VolleyError com.android.volley.NoConnectionError: java.net.ConnectException: Failed to connect to [redacted]/xx.xx.xx.xx:8080

This happened in the middle of your playback and then recovered after the connection was able to succeed again.

Looks like you've got a lot of dynamic dns and maybe reverse proxy kind of stuff going on and the network failure could be in any of those items.  Is the TV remote from the server?

computerprep

Looks like you've got a lot of dynamic dns and maybe reverse proxy kind of stuff going on and the network failure could be in any of those items.  Is the TV remote from the server?

Hmmm... that could be a thought. I've brought my Android TV on vacation a few times, and set it up with my domain name instead of my direct IP (for dynamic IP reasons)

If I never set those settings back, the Android TV may be connecting out through WAN and back after name resolution.

I haven't had this type of glitch in a while, so my router firmware reset/upgrade may have coincided with my problem disappearing. My router might just be handling the requests better.

If that's the case, this may happen to other people wanting to use a dyndns hostname. Could the Android TV's server settings be upgraded to allow an IP address AND a hostname for backup connection? That way the unit will attempt connecting to the initial LAN IP address first, and if there's no response it tries the remote hostname? both fields could support either IP or hostname, so for people with static IP addresses, they could set it up with the failover without a domain name?

The connection logic already maintains both a local and a remote address but, with your particular setup, it may not be able to determine that it can use the local one.

Based on your log, it is definitely going through the router on the outside.  I would try logging off and logging back in - especially if you used Connect.

mickeyfinn

I can try this.  I believe I did use Connect to log in,  It would certainly be better for this client to use the internal IP, so I'll try that and report back.  Thanks ebr!   :)

mickeyfinn

I did log out and back in, and the server icon I selected showed the local address not the external DNS. That was yesterday morning. I played back a number of files throughout the day and got the same issue at 4 PM and at 9:20 PM. Does the logging show local or external connections now? By the way, not sure if I made it clear but the TV is on the local network.

I did log out and back in, and the server icon I selected showed the local address not the external DNS. That was yesterday morning. I played back a number of files throughout the day and got the same issue at 4 PM and at 9:20 PM. Does the logging show local or external connections now? By the way, not sure if I made it clear but the TV is on the local network.

Doesn't look like you sent me another log...

mickeyfinn

Apologies, I forgot to send the logs. I sent new ones just now. On the DNS issue, I tried manually connecting using the local IP and it generated failures. I tested the Android client on my phone on the same wireless network and it connected OK. I am using a non standard port and the Android client has a port entry field, does the Android TV client allow this via manual entry? I tried entering the port using ip:port notation but it failed also. Is the server still connected using public DNS?

I connected using the available server now and can do some more playback testing if the logs I sent don't go back far enough by the way.

Yes, IP:port works.

In your last log I see you were connected via the WAN address and then you entered the local IP (without port) and that timed out but then it looks like auto discovery worked or you selected the server from a list and then it connected successfully using the local IP address and proper port.

mickeyfinn

I did indeed select from the listed server. Not sure why the manual didn't work, maybe because auto discover already had that address? Anyway good to know it worked.

I just sent an example of the freeze. Not sure whether the problem is my server or the app, maybe both? The error is just before 7:30.

Manual entry didn't work because you didn't input your custom port.

I/System.out(30260): Entered address: 192.168.1.128
I/System.out(30260): Attempting to connect to server at 192.168.1.128:8096

mickeyfinn

To update on this issue, I did get the local logon to respond and it seems much more likely that the freeze issue is a server problem.  I made some configuration changes to the sleep settings on WMC and Windows and I do not appear to be seeing freezes in the app any more.  I'd still note that the Android app did not experience this issue at all, but since it was fixed with a minor change in Windows, I'm fine with it.

Thanks to ebr and Luke for all their help getting a fix for this!

Too bad the problem above has nothing to do with the actual topic of this thread.    This thread was to solve why Emby gets a gray screen when launching on a FireTV.  It has nothing to do with server side sleep settings or external IPs.

Edited by vicodan

Too bad the problem above has nothing to do with the actual topic of this thread.    This thread was to solve why Emby gets a gray screen when launching on a FireTV.  It has nothing to do with server side sleep settings or external IPs.

Unfortunately that's what happens when users go into existing threads and say "me too, same problem". Often times, it's not actually the same thing. 

However, we are happy to discuss and work towards resolving the issue that you are having.

mickeyfinn

vicodan - I believe the grey screen was related to backing out during the freeze.  Once I realized that just waiting out the freeze allowed the stream to resume I did not have that problem again.  Since the cause of the freeze was a loss of network from the server, attempting a back out while this happens appears to be the cause of the app crash and the grey screen.

Luke - I appreciate that we should have started a new thread, hopefully it won't cause too much confusion.  To answer your question, the fix was to stop an installed MCE standby tool from waking the display on resume.

vicodan - I believe the grey screen was related to backing out during the freeze.  Once I realized that just waiting out the freeze allowed the stream to resume I did not have that problem again.  Since the cause of the freeze was a loss of network from the server, attempting a back out while this happens appears to be the cause of the app crash and the grey screen.

Luke - I appreciate that we should have started a new thread, hopefully it won't cause too much confusion.  To answer your question, the fix was to stop an installed MCE standby tool from waking the display on resume.

Understood, but all the posters in this thread (including me) only have the problem after they exit Emby normally.  It's opening Emby the second time we get the gray screen.  None of us had any freezing-related issues.