Cant add shares

Guest molten360

Guest molten360

Hi All

Just setup a new server on CentOS 7. Turned off SELinux and the Firewall. Cant add any shares. It just says path does not exist. Tried both from my Synology NAS and Windows

CX23882

I had similar problems with a Mint 17.1 server. I just cannot get it to mount SMB shares itself, neither by browsing to them (which I understand won't work) nor by manually entering the path.

In the end, I settled on adding the network share to a directory mount point in /etc/fstab using CIFS mount. This seems to work fine for me, and performance is great. The only problem I have is the Auto-organise feature for TV episodes - I have TV files symlinked to the main share, and the Auto-organise creates a copy of the actual file, rather than moving the symlink.

Edited by CX23882

kenelbow

I had similar problems with a Mint 17.1 server. I just cannot get it to mount SMB shares itself, neither by browsing to them (which I understand won't work) nor by manually entering the path.

In the end, I settled on adding the network share to a directory mount point in /etc/fstab using CIFS mount. This seems to work fine for me, and performance is great. The only problem I have is the Auto-organise feature for TV episodes - I have TV files symlinked to the main share, and the Auto-organise creates a copy of the actual file, rather than moving the symlink.

Ditto for me on Ubuntu.  This appears to be a problem with the Linux version of Emby Server never being able to find/access SMB shares.

geaves

Ditto for me on Ubuntu.  This appears to be a problem with the Linux version of Emby Server never being able to find/access SMB shares.

This is not a problem with Emby on Linux, Linux requires SMB shares to be 'mounted' before they can be accessed, adding the path option to fstab with the correct switches enables the SMB share to auto mount should Emby require a restart.

Linux and Windows are similar in so much as you can see the SMB share from within a file browser and access it, but for something like Emby to see it the share has to be mounted, with Windows you point Emby to serverip/SMB share name, with Linux if your storage is say on a NAS it will require it to be mounted first, hence the entry in the fstab conf file.

So the simplest method is to create a folder within Linux, for instance mine are under /media, so I have /media/movies.../media/music, etc, but the files are one a NAS box as SMB shares so the fstab conf points the Linux folder to the SMB share which in effect creates what is a symlink, or shortcut to each relevant media type.

As I said the problem is not Emby on Linux, it's just the way Linux behaves and requires SMB shares to have a mount point before any installed software can see it, unlike plugging in a USB drive which auto mounts when connected.

kenelbow

This is not a problem with Emby on Linux, Linux requires SMB shares to be 'mounted' before they can be accessed, adding the path option to fstab with the correct switches enables the SMB share to auto mount should Emby require a restart.

Linux and Windows are similar in so much as you can see the SMB share from within a file browser and access it, but for something like Emby to see it the share has to be mounted, with Windows you point Emby to serverip/SMB share name, with Linux if your storage is say on a NAS it will require it to be mounted first, hence the entry in the fstab conf file.

So the simplest method is to create a folder within Linux, for instance mine are under /media, so I have /media/movies.../media/music, etc, but the files are one a NAS box as SMB shares so the fstab conf points the Linux folder to the SMB share which in effect creates what is a symlink, or shortcut to each relevant media type.

As I said the problem is not Emby on Linux, it's just the way Linux behaves and requires SMB shares to have a mount point before any installed software can see it, unlike plugging in a USB drive which auto mounts when connected.

Yeah, mount points via fstab is what I ended up doing. If this is truly a limitation of Linux, fine. A more useful error message within Emby server for Linux would probably be helpful though. Its odd though that you say this is a Linux limitation when applications like Kodi can browse and access files via SMB without creating a mountpoint in fstab first.

geaves

Yeah, mount points via fstab is what I ended up doing. If this is truly a limitation of Linux, fine. A more useful error message within Emby server for Linux would probably be helpful though. Its odd though that you say this is a Linux limitation when applications like Kodi can browse and access files via SMB without creating a mountpoint in fstab first.

Ah touché....that's beyond my own self taught knowledge and understanding  :) but one could hazard a guess that Kodi has the ability to browse and subsequently auto mount an smb share. 

Jackrats

For SMB in Linux, one of two things can happen at the application level --

The application itself could be written generically, with no concern about any types of filesystems. The expectation here is that any filesystems that a user wants to use are mounted. The vast majority of all Linux applications work in this fashion.

Alternately, an application may choose to implement direct support for networked filesystems directly within the application. This isn't necessarily a trivial task. In the case of Kodi, this is what you are seeing -- they are likely utilizing the Samba libraries to directly access SMB shares without them being mounted.

Neither one is necessarily right or wrong. It's just a bunch of extra work to do the 2nd flavor, and in a cross-platform app such as Emby, in my opinion, it seems like an unnecessary effort when the easy and simple way to proceed is to just mount the filesystem. Mounting the filesystem within Linux also gives the benefit of being able to use any Linux tool or application to view and manipulate the files.

• Like 1

geaves

Thanks for the explanation, I've often wondered why Kodi could access SMB shares when other applications required it to be mounted. The more I use Linux the more I learn.

Ryangodammit

So for a Linux noob like myself, how do you actually mount the file system and have it stay mounted after any restarts.

I'm having the same issue with my ntfs formatted media drive

kenelbow

So for a Linux noob like myself, how do you actually mount the file system and have it stay mounted after any restarts.

I'm having the same issue with my ntfs formatted media drive

What Distro are you running? You will probably need to add some lines to /etc/fstab to make sure mountpoints are mounted at boot.

http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/38125/htg-explains-what-is-the-linux-fstab-and-how-does-it-work/

• 2 years later...
avalon65

I am having a problem mounting a share for emby server.

I have edited the /etc/ftsab file in Linux Mint 18.1:

/mnt/WinShare/Media/Music /mnt/WinShare/Media/Music nfs auto, nofa$

but when I add this as a media folder in emby server:

/mnt/WinShare/Media/Music, then click ok I get a message saying that there was an error adding the media path. Please ensure the path is valid etc.

The media path is the exact same for my Ubuntu machine and works fine as the music is there in emby server.

Why not Mint, what is wrong ?

Edited by avalon65

/mnt/WinShare/Media/Music, then click ok I get a message saying that there was an error adding the media path. Please ensure the path is valid etc.

The media path is the exact same for my Ubuntu machine and works fine as the music is there in emby server.

Try mounting it locally within the OS, then add the local path to Emby. See if that helps. Thanks.

mastrmind11

Can you access the mount point from the cli on your Mint box?

avalon65

Can you access the mount point from the cli on your Mint box?

By what commands?

CD //ip address does nothing.

I have got the network folder on local now, and have the media folder mounted as /mnt/WinShare/Media/Music.

In emby I have: /mnt/WinShare/Media/Music, but on the home page there are no music files, and when I select to scan the library a popup comes to say 'Refresh Queued'

mastrmind11

By what commands?

CD //ip address does nothing.

I have got the network folder on local now, and have the media folder mounted as /mnt/WinShare/Media/Music.

In emby I have: /mnt/WinShare/Media/Music, but on the home page there are no music files, and when I select to scan the library a popup comes to say 'Refresh Queued'

I mean can you cd to the local mount point and list the contents?

avalon65

Yes I can cd to to the local mount point, as in:

cd /mnt/win/Winshare/Media/Music

But there are no contents, the folder is empty

Edited by avalon65

mastrmind11

Yes I can cd to to the local mount point, as in:

cd /mnt/win/Winshare/Media/Music

But there are no contents, the folder is empty

Which means the share is not mounted, it's just a directory.  What happens when you type sudo mount -a ?

Edited by mastrmind11

avalon65

Which means the share is not mounted, it's just a directory.  What happens when you type sudo mount -a ?

sudo mount -a returns

mount: /etc/fstab: parse error at line 14 -- ignored

This is line 14

192.168.0.22:/mnt/WinShare/Media/Music  /mnt/win/WinShare/Media/Music nfs auto, nofail, noatime, nolock, intr, tcp, actime=1800 0 0

What I can't understand, the above line is exactly the same in my Ubuntu machine and the music files are there in the local Music folder???

Edited by avalon65

mastrmind11

sudo mount -a returns

mount: /etc/fstab: parse error at line 14 -- ignored

This is line 14

192.168.0.22:/mnt/WinShare/Media/Music  /mnt/win/WinShare/Media/Music nfs auto, nofail, noatime, nolock, intr, tcp, actime=1800 0 0

What I can't understand, the above line is exactly the same in my Ubuntu machine and the music files are there in the local Music folder???

Dunno.  Start w/ the most basic manual mount command and see if it'll mount.

avalon65

Doing just sudo mount brings up a whole list of mount points but not this one:

Doing the same cmd in my ubuntu machine brings up a whole list with the above line included, apart from a difference after

/Music.

192.168.0.22:/mnt/WinShare/Media/Music on /mnt/WinShare/Media/Music

type nfs (rw,relatime,vers=3,rsize=131072,wsize=131072,namlen=255,hard,proto=tcp,timeo=600,retrans=2,sec=sys,mountaddr=192.168.0.22,mountvers=3,mountport=861,mountproto
=udp,local_lock=none,addr=192.168.0.22)

mastrmind11

Doing just sudo mount brings up a whole list of mount points but not this one:

Doing the same cmd in my ubuntu machine brings up a whole list with the above line included, apart from a difference after

/Music.

192.168.0.22:/mnt/WinShare/Media/Music on /mnt/WinShare/Media/Music

type nfs (rw,relatime,vers=3,rsize=131072,wsize=131072,namlen=255,hard,proto=tcp,timeo=600,retrans=2,sec=sys,mountaddr=192.168.0.22,mountvers=3,mountport=861,mountproto

=udp,local_lock=none,addr=192.168.0.22)

No, I mean, mount the share manually as opposed to relying on fstab.  as in,  sudo mount -t nfs server_IP_addr:/share_name /local_mount_point

Edited by mastrmind11

avalon65

No, I mean, mount the share manually as opposed to relying on fstab.  as in,  sudo mount -t nfs server_IP_addr:/share_name /local_mount_point

Ok, I misunderstood.

sudo mount -t nfs 192.168.0.22:/media/WinShare/Media/Music /media/WinShare/Media/Music

mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on 192.168.0.22:/media/WinShare/Media/Music,

missing codepage or helper program, or other error

(for several filesystems (e.g. nfs, cifs) you might

need a /sbin/mount.<type> helper program)

In some cases useful info is found in syslog - try

dmesg | tail or so.

mastrmind11

Ok, I misunderstood.

sudo mount -t nfs 192.168.0.22:/media/WinShare/Media/Music /media/WinShare/Media/Music

mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on 192.168.0.22:/media/WinShare/Media/Music,

missing codepage or helper program, or other error

(for several filesystems (e.g. nfs, cifs) you might

need a /sbin/mount.<type> helper program)

In some cases useful info is found in syslog - try

dmesg | tail or so.

Wait, I just noticed the name of your share.  Is this a windows share? 

avalon65

Wait, I just noticed the name of your share.  Is this a windows share? 

No, all my media files are on a NAS server, and I just named it WinShare, as I had a windows machine at that time but not now.

It is now a Unix share, and I see the path for it as /mnt/WinShare/Media/Music.

I'll make some changes now to reflect that.

This is the correct share path now:

192.168.0.22:/mnt/WinShare/Media/Music  /mnt/WinShare/Media/Music nfs auto, nof$

Changes have been made in /etc/fstab.

Edited by avalon65

mastrmind11

No, all my media files are on a NAS server, and I just named it WinShare, as I had a windows machine at that time but not now.

Do you have the nfs-common package installed on your Mint box?

Edited by mastrmind11