Movie Collections not populating in Fire TV client

Chuck

PhilWhite

Since I have the same issue, hope it is OK for me to also respond to that question.  I created my collections under the collections 'tab'.  Hit the red plus sign and added in that way.

But I've also added collections through individual movies and I seem to see the same result.  I will try adding a new collection this second way and see if there is any difference now since the latest upgrade.

Still a black screen even after updating library and stopping and restarting the server.   Also deleted the cache and data on Fire TV with same results.

Edited by PhilWhite

How were your collections created?

With the web client.

Since I have the same issue, hope it is OK for me to also respond to that question.  I created my collections under the collections 'tab'.  Hit the red plus sign and added in that way.

But I've also added collections through individual movies and I seem to see the same result.  I will try adding a new collection this second way and see if there is any difference now since the latest upgrade.

Still a black screen even after updating library and stopping and restarting the server.   Also deleted the cache and data on Fire TV with same results.

Exactly this. No matter what I do I get a black screen. 

I do want to point out that I am connected to my Emby server remotely. No way to try it locally for a while. 

Chuck

I'm using Auto Box Sets as well as manually creating collections that are not available in TMDB.

PhilWhite

Have either of you tried with the Auto BoxSets plugin?

I haven't, but it doesn't sound like it helps.  Collections displays fine everywhere but the Fire TV for me.

Could this depend on the FireTV OS version?  I am on 51.1.6.1

Edited by PhilWhite

PhilWhite

Ebr,

Do you think it would make any difference (for this issue) trying your new android version?  Can we sideload from the google play store?

Edited by PhilWhite

I would also like to test the beta if possible. Mainly for the new LibVLC plugin but also to see if collections work there as well. 

I don't think the beta will have any impact on this issue as I've never been able to reproduce it so nothing has been done about it.  I don't even know where to start unfortunately.  If any of you guys have ADB installed and can get the logcat from the device I might get a clue.

You shouldn't side-load the Google version on a FTV since it will constantly be trying to contact the Google Play store which the Fire won't allow.

PhilWhite

I don't think the beta will have any impact on this issue as I've never been able to reproduce it so nothing has been done about it.  I don't even know where to start unfortunately.  If any of you guys have ADB installed and can get the logcat from the device I might get a clue.

You shouldn't side-load the Google version on a FTV since it will constantly be trying to contact the Google Play store which the Fire won't allow.

Please for give my ignorance.  ADB installed on the FTV or installed on another computer that communicates with the FTV?  I have both ADB and ADBFire installed on my windows laptop that I used to sideload Kodi.  If that works how do I access the logcat from the FTV?

Never mind, google is my friend.  Hope this helps:  logcat.txt

OK, sorry ignore the last one unless it provides useful information aside from the fact that I left the Fire TV over my receiver and let it overheat.

This should be cleaner:  logcat2.txt

Edited by PhilWhite

Thanks.

What must be happening is the child count on your Collection folders must be reported at zero by the API for some reason so the app isn't even trying to request children.

The question is why is that the case and why only for a few of you?  I may need Luke's insight here...

PhilWhite

Thanks ebr.  It isn't that big a deal since collections works fine on the Fire TV using Emby for Kodi (under sets in Kodi), so I am not missing anything.  It is only with the native Emby app that the strange behavior shows.  I'm sure you guys will figure it out, but it shouldn't be a high priority.  Sounds like both you and Luke are working on some pretty big improvements.

And once Live TV is fully integrated into the server I will probably use Emby for Kodi exclusively since I can personalize the look.  The SD Kickstarter will be nice to follow but it won't be the solution I use for DVR and TV.

Edited by PhilWhite

• 4 weeks later...
PhilWhite

Ebr,

A little more information, but I don't know exactly what it means.  On one of my laptops, clicking on "this PC", under network locations I have two emby icons for the two different servers I am running.  The FreeNAS server shares all my movies, etc.; when clicking on collections in this view the folder is empty even though I can see collections using the web browser.  But I also noticed this weekend that none of the movies I added to my collections were listed any longer.  So I don't think the problem is with the Fire TV but something having to do with the collections themselves.

The latest version of the Fire TV app should have fixed the problem above with the child count being 0. 

I geta message that says "Empty No Items"

Then that means the server is returning nothing for that collection and the real issue is probably deeper in the system (meaning at the server or data level).

PhilWhite

I'll try adding a movie section and collections in the alpha version server and see if the Fire TV picks it up.  It's still a bit weird that the web version sees the collections without problem, though.  And it seems to be an issue for me with Emby on a FreeNAS server and others using Windows.

PhilWhite

I added movies to the 'server in progress', created a collection -- but I see the same result with this server as with my FreeNAS server -- Empty, No Items

So, maybe data level?  How to correct that problem?

Edited by PhilWhite

PhilWhite

Never mind, solved it.

Anyone else with this problem, go to your profile and click on anything that mentions collections.  They will then show up.

Someone else mentioned that it was a settings issue and they were correct -- it is a setting in the profile. 

I had clicked to put movies in sets, but I guess you need to tick off some of the others as well

So, ebr, you have my expressed permission to kick me in the head.  I never thought to play with my profile settings for this problem.

Edited by PhilWhite

OK ... I've obviously missed something ... There's a setting in the profile to correct the collections showing up?

I've done a clean install on a Windows 10 box, but I'm getting the Empty No Media

PhilWhite

Not sure which of these is most important, but this is what I did.

Under profile, home screen, tick every available option under 'my views' including 'display a collections view to show movies collections' (that was probably the one that needs to be ticked).  Under view styles I ticked all options (enable enhanced views).  In latest items tick everything, including 'collections'.  And under General tick 'Group movies into collections' -- probably already ticked, but if not do it.  There is nothing to do under playback and profile.

I already had the Display a collection view to show movie collections checked.

When I selected all of the items "Collections, Music, Movies, Home videos, TV" under "Automatically group content from the following folders into views such as Movies, Music and TV"... it seems to work.

So the grouping Collections selection makes the Collections populate on FireTV.

PhilWhite

Yeah, not sure why that matters for the FireTV but not the web client or the android app, but it fixed the problem.

I already had the Display a collection view to show movie collections checked.

When I selected all of the items "Collections, Music, Movies, Home videos, TV" under "Automatically group content from the following folders into views such as Movies, Music and TV"... it seems to work.

So the grouping Collections selection makes the Collections populate on FireTV.

Hmmm.... maybe we're finally getting somewhere but tell me exactly which option and which value makes it work vs. not work because it seems like it should be behaving the opposite of what you guys are saying.