Option to show filename...

Guest topbanana

Guest topbanana

"Want" yes, "need" im not so sure

I'd say "would like" and " would appreciate"... it's a bit more polite :-D

Vidman

I'd say "would like" and " would appreciate"... it's a bit more polite :-D

Yes it is.... So why didn't you use them in the first place;)

Vidman

Poster card view only fixes some of the examples. It involves a lot of work to fix others, and doesn't address the rest at all. And it doesn't look as awesome ;-)

So i can easily and immediately tell the following from the filename:

1. The title of the movie, if not easy to read on the poster.

2. The local title of the movie, if emby identifies it as another aka title.

3. The original title of a foreign movie if emby shows the english title.

4. The original scene rip filename if a new download, not organised yet perhaps.

5. The quality of the movie if the filename includes this like mine do, original scene names do.

6. Which is the copy to keep/delete if there's a duplicate.

7. The exact filename if i wanted to find it in the file system. Especially if it uses articles in the title (a, an, the) as they'll be sorted into a different order.

8. ...probbly more...

All that, if i could turn on the option to see it... no extra work needed, no searching, no editing.

It's just a handy cue telling me what i'd like to know

It's a simple thing to add, there are probably other solutions, but this just seems like the simplest?

I've knocked up a quick-n-dirty mockup...

558aff86e810a_Untitled2.png

This probably makes what i was asking for a bit clearer eh!

I'm guessing you're using the web interface on a desktop, not a TV or mobile device? As I stated before I don't think that would be very readable on these devices

Guest topbanana

I'm guessing you're using the web interface on a desktop, not a TV or mobile device? As I stated before I don't think that would be very readable on these devices

Yes i am mostly using the web interface...

The tv/mobile apps only have a subset of the functionality, correct?

Metadata editing is only on the web interface?

I've only used the web interface, and android app (iPad & iPhone apps once) and only been using it a few months.  still learning my way around.

I'm not expecting to see the filename appear on the android app, for sure... but you don't get the mouse-over poster overlay on other devices do you?

Yeah it would be small, not as easy to read the rest of the interface, but you'd only be looking at it occasionally, so you could then just concentrate/squint at it to read it when needed.

Humans are very good at reading lines just by seeing the shape/pattern.  A lot of web pages include really tiny text (look at the bottom of this forum page!), and you can read it all if needed.

Don't forget this would be an optional feature, not enabled by default, only showing if you need it/want it/would like it/would appreciate it to.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest topbanana

Just reformatted my laptop/emby server, so have been reinstalling it and it's been rebuilding the libraries...

Now i'm having to correct all the little errors, movies that don't get identified, etc...

Now is the time when having the filename showing would allow me to check thru stuff really quickly...

Edited by topbanana

• 7 months later...
Guest topbanana

When browsing movies, could we have an option to have the filename shown on the mouse-over slide-up?

It could be in a small font, probably wrapping on to two lines

This would be very useful when there are several version of the same movie, languages/quality/etc. 

-----------------------------------------------

Edit:

Here's a quick-n-dirty mockup i later created so you know what i was getting at......

558aff86e810a_Untitled2.png

OK, after manually comparing all the movie titles identified by emby, and all the filenames of my movies, using an exported emby report and a file listing, manually aligned together in excel, which took 5hrs to check 2200 movies!  I managed to find 20-30 misidentified movies!  Mostly the year out by 1, causing another movie to be chosen, but some complete misidentifications.  How many errors do you have in your library?

Without doing the manual task above, or having filenames & path columns added to Reports, there is almost no way to know or notice any mistakes in the emby library.

But if the filenames could be shown as requested here on the mouse-over slide-up overlay, then these errors could be noticed much easier.