Option to show filename...

Guest topbanana

Guest topbanana

When browsing movies, could we have an option to have the filename shown on the mouse-over slide-up?

It could be in a small font, probably wrapping on to two lines

This would be very useful when there are several version of the same movie, languages/quality/etc. 

-----------------------------------------------

Edit:

Here's a quick-n-dirty mockup i later created so you know what i was getting at......

558aff86e810a_Untitled2.png

Edited by topbanana

Vidman

I don't like this idea, you can see this info in the detail screen and if you want to instantly know which version you can name it appropriately

Edited by Vidman

Guest topbanana

I don't like this idea...

I was asking for an option.  If you don't like it, you don't turn it on?

...you can see this info in the detail screen...

The idea is that you can see it from the posters page, without having to click thru to the details...  makes it, quicker, more usable...

...and if you want to instantly know which version you can name it appropriately

But the names don't show up, that's the whole point.  If the 2 movies are identified as the same thing, then the same poster shows, same name image shows, so you can't tell...

E.g. Løvenes Konge (1994)  &  The Lion King (1994)  are both identified as the same film (the lion king), they sort so they are sitting next to each other, they have identical images...  if the filename could be shown, i would know which was the Norwegian version.

This is just one example.  This option would be a workaround for many different little problems.

Edited by topbanana

Vidman

How would you fit the full filename in the poster overlay and make it readable?, why don't you just use poster card view?

Guest topbanana

How would you fit the full filename in the poster overlay and make it readable?...

As i said in the OP:

It's not there to look pretty, i would optionally want it there to tell me what i needed to know.

...why don't you just use poster card view?

Because Poster view looks frikin awesome!

And i only want those details to show when i mouse-over it.

Vidman

Well that is up to the devs to implement, I just don't see the need for it to clutter up the overlay even more, especially when there are easy workarounds

Edited by Vidman

Deathsquirrel

Perhaps you can describe your use case in a bit more detail.  As I envision what you describe it gets less useful when there are multiple files in a folder for multiple resolutions, not more.  More super-tiny text in a very small space, printed over a poster image on unpredictable coloration and pattern.  I don't think the option would be usable.  If you describe what you're trying to accomplish though there could be another way to address it.

Cerothen

When browsing movies, could we have an option to have the filename shown on the mouse-over slide-up?

This would be very useful when there are several version of the same movie, languages/quality/etc. 

I was looking at this FR and thought it seemed a little weird. Considering Emby's vast feature set it seems a little redundant to have extra files of the same movie in your library.

If you use MKV files you can store multiple audio tracks (languages) from the same movie in with just one video file (same goes with subtitles) Emby allows you to switch between them on the fly. As far as qualities you can use the Emby Sync feature to let emby manage different qualities for you automatically.

I have always wondered what audio tracks get used when syncing a lower quality, perhaps that is something that @@Luke can comment on.

Guest topbanana

Perhaps you can describe your use case in a bit more detail.  As I envision what you describe it gets less useful when there are multiple files in a folder for multiple resolutions, not more.  More super-tiny text in a very small space, printed over a poster image on unpredictable coloration and pattern.  I don't think the option would be usable.  If you describe what you're trying to accomplish though there could be another way to address it.

OK,

In Poster view (which looks awesome), when you move your mouse over a movie, the overlay slides up, this includes lots of info about the movie: year, duration, ratings, watched, thumbs up, thumbs down, loved, play and the 3 dots menu button...

With the OPTION i'm requesting,which would be turned off by default, when enabled, it would include the filename of the movie underneath the above items.  It would be in a smallish font, such than many filenames might fit on one line, but if they're longer, like many can be, it would simply wrap around onto two/more lines.

This would then show exactly which file this poster is referring to.  Most people won't need to ever turn this on, but for some, it can be useful.

Think of it like when you hover your mouse over a hyperlink on a web page, in the status bar, the complete web address is shown.  This behavior has been around since forever and a lot of people find this info very useful without thinking about it, because if's always been there.

By the way where is the file path in detail view?

558a6de951ab3_ScreenShot20150624at114251

You sure you are in the right forum...?

Deathsquirrel

OK,

In Poster view (which looks awesome), when you move your mouse over a movie, the overlay slides up, this includes lots of info about the movie: year, duration, ratings, watched, thumbs up, thumbs down, loved, play and the 3 dots menu button...

and format.

With the OPTION i'm requesting,which would be turned off by default, when enabled, it would include the filename of the movie underneath the above items.  It would be in a smallish font, such than many filenames might fit on one line, but if they're longer, like many can be, it would simply wrap around onto two/more lines.

This would then show exactly which file this poster is referring to.  Most people won't need to ever turn this on, but for some, it can be useful.

Think of it like when you hover your mouse over a hyperlink on a web page, in the status bar, the complete web address is shown.  This behavior has been around since forever and a lot of people find this info very useful without thinking about it, because if's always been there.

Sorry if I was unclear but you just restated the change request you want.  It won't work and is unlikely to happen.  There is not enough space in the window for a file path to be printed in a readable font and format.

Describe the problem you're trying to solve rather than your idea for a solution.  Maybe we can help you think of a solution that could potentially meet that need and work if it were implemented or suggest a workaround that would make it unnecessary.

Edited by Deathsquirrel

AdrianW

For the specific example of the two versions of the Lion King  - why not simply replace the poster for the Norwegian version:

original.jpg

Guest topbanana

Sorry if I was unclear but you just restated the change request you want.  It won't work and is unlikely to happen.  There is not enough space in the window for a file path to be printed in a readable font and format.

Describe the problem you're trying to solve rather than your idea for a solution.  Maybe we can help you think of a solution that could potentially meet that need and work if it were implemented or suggest a workaround that would make it unnecessary.

You are correct, the file path would be too long.... but I didn't ask for the file path.  Just the filename.

OK, so...

I'd like the option of seeing the filename when in Poster view...  when i mouse-over it... without having to leave this page.

Again, just like when you mouse over a hyperlink in a browser, the status bar shows you the full website url...  like this but just the filename would be ok...  if it showed up in another place where it could include the full path to the movie, great, but just the filename is what i'm after here.

Other reasons i just remembered:

* Some movie posters don't clearly show you the title, it's written in a stupid font or really small, and the little image of the title on the overlay is just a smaller version of that... so having the filename of the movie on the overlay clearly, immediately shows you the actual title.

* And, if the movie is known by a different regional name on the poster, you can see the title you probably know it by in the file name.

* Also, if it's a foreign film, it might have an English title poster (And even the metadata title) and the original foreign title in the filename... 

My library is big enough that i have these and other examples, when knowing the filename would be really handy.

Not having to click thru to the details page and scrolling all the way to the bottom is key...

Edited by topbanana

Guest topbanana

For the specific example of the two versions of the Lion King  - why not simply replace the poster for the Norwegian version:

original.jpg

I didn't see this poster, cool.

But the library scan just identified it as 'The Lion King', using the english metadata and images...  With a big library, there are many different reasons to need to see filename...

Guest topbanana

Again I disagree with the need statement:)

?

This is a feature request subforum.

There's probably a lot of features being requested that you may not feel you need.

There are probably many existing features that you probably don't need to use.

Software is here to make our lives easier, to do stuff amazing, to give us choices on how it works.

Everyone uses software differently, needs different things from it.

Deathsquirrel

Topbanana every example you gave appears to be met by simply using the PosterCard view instead of Poster.  Then your preferred name for the movie is shown in the UI below the poster.

This IS a suggestion forum and you are of course free to post any suggestion you want.  But if you post a suggestion no one can understand the value of it won't get addressed or it won't get addressed in the form you want.

If all you want is a way to see both the poster and your preferred name of the title in the web UI at the same time, that exists.  If your posters aren't readable then there is a metadata editor that allows you to replace them with better ones.  If there is some other want or need though we may simply not understand it.  Again, I recommend you don't focus on the change you want, focus on describing the problem you're having.

Vidman

?

This is a feature request subforum.

There's probably a lot of features being requested that you may not feel you need.

There are probably many existing features that you probably don't need to use.

Software is here to make our lives easier, to do stuff amazing, to give us choices on how it works.

Everyone uses software differently, needs different things from it.

"Want" yes, "need" im not so sure

Guest topbanana

Poster card view only fixes some of the examples. It involves a lot of work to fix others, and doesn't address the rest at all.  And it doesn't look as awesome ;-)

So i can easily and immediately tell the following from the filename:

1. The title of the movie, if not easy to read on the poster.

2. The local title of the movie, if emby identifies it as another aka title.

3. The original title of a foreign movie if emby shows the english title.

4. The original scene rip filename if a new download, not organised yet perhaps.

5. The quality of the movie if the filename includes this like mine do, original scene names do.

6. Which is the copy to keep/delete if there's a duplicate.

7. The exact filename if i wanted to find it in the file system. Especially if it uses articles in the title (a, an, the) as they'll be sorted into a different order.

8. ...probbly more...

All that, if i could turn on the option to see it... no extra work needed, no searching, no editing.

It's just a handy cue telling me what i'd like to know

It's a simple thing to add, there are probably other solutions, but this just seems like the simplest?

I've knocked up a quick-n-dirty mockup...

558aff86e810a_Untitled2.png

This probably makes what i was asking for a bit clearer eh!