Feature Request: EmbyTV in Kodi

reluctantflux

EmbyTV PVR for Kodi Poll  

42 members have voted

1. 1. Would you use an EmbyTV PVR add-on for Kodi?

• Yes!
    • No! I already have a different PVR backend that works just fine.
    • No, I'm not interested in Live TV features.

reluctantflux

Has anyone looked into creating a Kodi PVR plugin to interface with EmbyTV?  I can't get ServerWMC to work with the Android build of Kodi, and would love to do away with that virtual machine serving the data if at all possible.  I am looking at resolving the ServerWMC issue, but  I would also think it would be good to have all of the recordings/schedules centralized in Emby.

Please post if you support this idea.  If I'm the only one interested in this, I don't want the devs spending their time on it.

• Like 1

kmarq13

Really since Emby isn't running its own PVR engine you're just making a server-server-client string. The recordings and scheduling stuff is already centralized on whatever PVR server you're running. If you schedule a recording through Kodi you can see that in Emby now. I don't see how you'd be able to do away with your VM running serverWMC at all, since that would still be needed to feed the Emby server.

The only benefit I can see would be that Emby could transcode LiveTV if the target device required it. 

What build of Kodi are you trying to use? If you're trying v15 there have been issues of the PVR addons not being included correctly, not sure if that's been corrected in Beta2 or not. 

Edit: So I just realized you may be talking about the new EmbyTV plugin not just LiveTV through Emby using other back ends. If that's the case probably just ignore the above, and that would be a great feature :) My vote would be waiting to see. It needs to be out and stable for a bit before I'm willing to move off of serverWMC. Looks like it would be a very solid option though.

Edited by kmarq13

reluctantflux

@@kmarq13

Yeah, I'm talking about the specific EmbyTV plugin for DLNA tuners that requires no other third party software to be used.  

I'm using the Google Play version of Kodi, which is 15.2.  I've posted multiple times with logs on the Kodi forums, but the only replies that I ever get are from other people having the same issue.  The thing is, the ServerWMC plugin works fine on Windows for 15.2, just not Android, and no devs over there are even acknowledging that it's an issue, that they're looking into it, or that I'm SOL.

I guess I'm spoiled by the responsiveness of Emby Devs.  :wub:

kmarq13

Yeah I had the same issue on 15.1 and ended up just going back to 14 to keep TV working. 

I'll definitely be keeping my eyes on the EmbyTV plugin now.

reluctantflux

What device are you using Kodi on?  I tried 14.2 on my Nvidia Shield because I figured I could live without framerate switching and HD audio, but the guide was taking 10+ seconds to come up.  Just went back to using Kodi on my Windows HTPC until I can get ServerWMC working on my Nvidia Shield properly  (Or get EmbyTV working in Kodi).

Edited by reluctantflux

kmarq13

What device are you using Kodi on?  I tried 14.2 on my Nvidia Shield because I figured I could live without framerate switching and HD audio, but the guide was taking 10+ seconds to come up.  Just went back to using Kodi on my Windows HTPC until I can get ServerWMC working on my Nvidia Shield properly  (Or get EmbyTV working in Kodi).

FireTV. Although I very rarely actually use LiveTV with it. I use my Windows HTPC for that in a different room.

Yeah guide takes forever, that's an issue with Kodi not serverWMC though.

reluctantflux

Yeah guide takes forever, that's an issue with Kodi not serverWMC though.

Right, but I'm thinking it's improved in 15.2, but can't know for sure till I get it working.

reluctantflux

For those voting "No", may I ask what back-end and tuner you are currently using?

Thanks!

Since I'm running Emby Server as a docker extension on my Unraid NAS, and then ServerWMC on a Windows virtual machine on the same Unraid NAS, I'd love to be able to remove that VM, and free up those resources to other applications.  It would also remove a potential failure point (the Windows OS.  The EmbyTV plugin would replace the failure point currently filled by ServerWMC.)

PhilWhite

Reluctantflux,

Voted 'yes'.  I would love to have an Embytv pvr addon for Kodi.  Right now I use Emby TV as my PVR of choice on my FreeNAS, but I have to rename the recordings.  I would also love integration of metadata into the recording file, which I think you suggested in another thread to automate MCEBuddy conversions and renaming.

• Like 1

reluctantflux

I was hoping to get larger pool of votes, but it seems like it's a feature people would be interested in. 

Are any devs interested in taking this on?  Any good references you could point others to try to make one if you're not interested in developing this?

Thanks to all who participated!

xnappo

I don't think a lot of people even understand what this means.  I know I don't.

What do I get out of it?

xnappo

So this involves adding a new backend to Kodi?  I guess long term that is a good idea.  I think the Kodi API is quite decent.  I have no interest though as my cable is all f*ing CCI byte.

im85288

No interest at all, TV headend is more than good enough a live TV backend for me. No idea what this does, or if it's even of any use to anyone in the UK.

reluctantflux

This would prevent needing another machine as your backend as Emby would be the backend. So no need for a Windows WMC, tvheadend, etc machine. Right now it only works with hdhomerun tuners. I do believe there are hdhomeruns for Europe.

Just looking at how I can consolidate resources and thought others may be interested in the idea. Sounds like the devs aren't and that's fine. I'd rather devs work on projects that interest them than what I want, as the end product will turn out better.

• Like 1

xnappo

Sure - it sounds interesting - someone will probably take it up at some point.  Are you sure you don't have the skills (or enough desire to learn them?) 

reluctantflux

I have the desire to learn, but would like some good tools/references.  Would I start with looking at ServerWMC PVR Plugin code?  What language does Kodi add-ons even use?  What did you use to learn the ins and outs of coding for Kodi?

Angelblue05

Kodi add-ons are written in Python. I've started coding 6 months ago. Here's where you can start:

Python original documentation is fairly complex. I still have a hard time understanding everything, however google will be your friend. Especially sites like stackoverflow, etc.

Learn the basics of Python: http://www.codecademy.com/en/tracks/python

Kodi API: http://mirrors.kodi.tv/docs/python-docs/14.x-helix/

Kodi development section for add-on: http://kodi.wiki/view/Add-on_development

Kodi forums for question: http://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=26 

If you don't know how to work with an API, you will need to learn this as well. This is the list of Kodi add-ons: http://kodi.wiki/view/Category:All_add-ons By selecting one, it will usually have a link to source code (github). Then you can see what others are doing to accomplish what you are interesting in doing.

Don't be intimidated, what I did personally is make a really small project, one simple goal to reach (example: Make a Kodi add-on that will display a pop up question when content stops playing). It's easier to learn when you stick to a goal. Then you can see how what you are learning can be applied towards the goal. You will grasp the concept faster. Hope this helps :)

Edited by Angelblue05
  • Like 1

Deihmos

Just use one of the many live TV plugins for kodi or you can use the HDhomerun kodi addon. They will be releasing a pvr software soon. I don't see any reason for any developer to take this on when HDhomerun has something in the works.

Edited by Deihmos

NiallWaller

Wouldn't it make more sense for Emby to act as the server integrating with whatever TV server you choose(Eg EmbyTV) and then serve live tv and guide to Kodi via Emby for Kodi? That's how all other Emby apps receive tv. Kodi should work like other Emby apps.

Or the dev's time may be better spent improving Emby enough that people can stop relying on Kodi at all.

swhitmore

Wouldn't it make more sense for Emby to act as the server integrating with whatever TV server you choose(Eg EmbyTV) and then serve live tv and guide to Kodi via Emby for Kodi? That's how all other Emby apps receive tv. Kodi should work like other Emby apps.

Except the existing Kodi TV plugins are already very mature. So it would be a whole lot of work for little difference, if any.

NiallWaller

Except the existing Kodi TV plugins are already very mature. So it would be a whole lot of work for little difference, if any.

If I have multiple TVs in the house each with Kodi (running on an Android stick maybe) how can they all access live tv?  The idea of an EmbyTV PVR add-on for Kodi would solve that problem for the set of people that use HDHomerun. 

Emby for Kodi being able to receive it's TV direct from the Emby server would solve that problem for everyone with any type of tv card.

That's the point of Emby being a media server isn't it?

Vidman

If I have multiple TVs in the house each with Kodi (running on an Android stick maybe) how can they all access live tv? The idea of an EmbyTV PVR add-on for Kodi would solve that problem for the set of people that use HDHomerun.

Emby for Kodi being able to receive it's TV direct from the Emby server would solve that problem for everyone with any type of tv card.

That's the point of Emby being a media server isn't it?

they would work exactly like emby...there is no problem

im85288

Yes exactly, any live tv backend is there to provide the service to any clients. So for example I have on TVHeadEnd Live Tv backend set up with 8 tuners. This can serve at least 8 clients (be they Kodi, iOS or whatever)