Something with latest server update is seriously dorked.

Della Dog
Go to solution Solved by Della Dog,

Della Dog

1. Can't login.

2. Can't uninstall.

3. Tried install of stable version over beta.

4. Logged in, server prompts for restart.

5. Allowed restart.

6. Again, cant log in.

7. Deleted entire directory.

8. Reinstalled stable.

Go back to 1.

I concur . antivirus stops install and deletes application.

That sounds like something completely different and can be rectified by white listing the installation/app.

the antivirus I have wont let me stop the beta from being installed. it deletes the main server application .exe file.

I have Norton . is there another way around this?

Norton is notorious for false positives like this.  I don't use it so I'm not sure but, usually, there is a way to tell the program that something it thinks is bad really isn't and it will stop messing with it.

CBers

the antivirus I have wont let me stop the beta from being installed. it deletes the main server application .exe file.

I have Norton . is there another way around this?

Have you uninstalled Norton ;)

• Like 3

I turned off Norton - installed stable - then tried to update to beta - it seems to install ok but fails to start - then when I try to start the server it

says the application has changed or been moved. MediaBrowser.ServerApplication.exe can no longer be found in its folder - something not right about

this update - was running smooth before this.

aspdend

Have you uninstalled Norton ;)

I agree - google norton antivirus and read what everybody says about it - imho it is horrible software

• Like 1

Can you guys look at the reports and find out what files it had a problem with? Thanks

FrostByte

Can you guys look at the reports and find out what files it had a problem with? Thanks

I posted them in the other thread on the subject, there were 2 files

FrostByte

MediaBrowser.ServerApplication.exe  keeps getting quarintined

Can you add an exemption for that file to Norton before starting the install?  Either that or go into Quarantine and say ignore that file.  Endpoint lets you do that

Edit: or change your settings to prompt you what to do vs do whatever automatically. 

Edited by FrostByte
  • Like 1

Good day,

I think to solve this issue that rise from time to time, that Luke submit the server file to Norton.

My best

JeremyFr79

To me this seems like a non-issue as it's related to the worst antivirus program ever made and not to Emby.  As other's have pointed out the best thing you could do is remove Norton completely from your system and go with a far better AV product.  MS Security Essentials, AVG, Avast, just to name a few.

• Like 1

badaas

It only takes some bright spark to start making a root kit with emby as the server for some IT admin to report it and get you blacklisted..

Della Dog

The issue goes beyond anti virus. I posted the log file but it seems to be missing. Essentially, the beta update fails due to expired credentials for the client device. I don't remember the specifics, but it required reinstalling the stable release, deleting the backup folders & changing auto update from beta to stable.

Otherwise I could never log in.

millsii

Since installing the Beta I have tried re-enabling the DLNA Server. After putting a tick in the box and clicking save, It takes me back to the top of the screen and the tick is removed from the enable DLNA Server box. Now that Live TV is working well with this update, I was hoping to use Emby in place of Plex for DLNA throughout the house.

Edited by millsii

Happy2Play

Since installing the Beta I have tried re-enabling the DLNA Server. After putting a tick in the box and clicking save, It takes me back to the top of the screen and the tick is removed from the enable DLNA Server box. Now that Live TV is working well with this update, I was hoping to use Emby in place of Plex for DLNA throughout the house.

You shouldn't have to but you can manually enable the DLNA server in the DLNA.xml.  Shut down server, set to true, start server.

%appdata%/MediaBrowser-Server/config

Thanks. Will be resolved when the current beta goes stable.