mb load screen

dylanrellis

dylanrellis

id really like to disable the load screen. I heard something about changing it but couldn't work it out. even if I could change it to something invisible would be good. I know it only shows for a few seconds and the fact that entry points used to be available that it doesn't actually need the load time its pretty much just the duration of the animation. id be happy to just see a blank screen for the few seconds it takes. anyway I can achieve this specifically? otherwise id love some entry points :)

Cheesegeezer

id really like to disable the load screen. I heard something about changing it but couldn't work it out. even if I could change it to something invisible would be good. I know it only shows for a few seconds and the fact that entry points used to be available that it doesn't actually need the load time its pretty much just the duration of the animation. id be happy to just see a blank screen for the few seconds it takes. anyway I can achieve this specifically? otherwise id love some entry points :)

Its been changed to something a lot more appealing (no offense ebr) in an upcoming release.  But it will be staying.  It's up to ebr if this will be allowed but I can see it possibly introducing more problems and questions that are unnecessary than good if user adjustments are to me made.

Edited by Cheesegeezer

I have modernized it quite a bit for the next release.

But, the animation is not causing any delay.  It only stays as long as it has to.  If it weren't there you would be staring at a blank screen for some in-determinant period of time and that is never good.  

Also, entry points or no entry points wouldn't make any difference either.

dylanrellis

blank screen wouldn't bother me, only takes 3 seconds to load. its more about immersion and wmc "likeness" for me. not trying to strip mb of its name, its still there in most places like the menu and ehs

It doesn't only take 3 seconds for everyone or for every situation and a blank screen with no feedback is a big no-no in UI design.  Users are impatient and will start clicking things and think things are broken.

• Like 2

leedavies

Its been changed to something a lot more appealing (no offense ebr) in an upcoming release.  But it will be staying.  It's up to ebr if this will be allowed but I can see it possibly introducing more problems and questions that are unnecessary than good if user adjustments are to me made.

Did you really mean to say this....?

"I can see it possibly introducing more problems and questions that are unnecessary than good if user adjustments are to me made"

SilverRubicon

I hope it's been improved as I find the load screen superfluous and unnecessary.  Something as simple as a bit of static text and a progress bar is all that is necessary.  It would also be better UI design if that is truly a concern.  MB3 should feel as it's part of the MCE experience not a tacked on extra.  Consistency is good UI design.

dylanrellis

agreed silver. I don't think its even loading anything in particular, mb2 entry points allowed instant library browsing if I recall correctly. mymovies 4 is a perfect example of what the ui should be like.

JustEric78

I just want to throw out there that when I first installed my client it would give me the splash screen for 3-4 seconds and then open the UI. At this point for whatever reason I just get the blue WMC background and then it opens. I can attest to the fact that the splash screen is better lol.

dylanrellis

3 seconds doesn't need any notification. its just opening, and much faster than most other things that don't have any load bar or splash screen.

3 seconds doesn't need any notification

Visual feed back that something is happening is important for users who's collections don't load in 3 seconds (IMHO). You could of course download the source code remove the offending splash screen and recompile if it is so abhorrent.

SilverRubicon

You could of course download the source code remove the offending splash screen and recompile if it is so abhorrent.

As a software developer with over 20 years of experience, I always find this advice/justification particularly "abhorrent".  

What dylanrellis proposed was a change that would require minimal developer support.  While I never recommend adding yet another option to appease individual users, it was a valid suggestion.  The reply that the load screen has been "modernized" is also a good one.  As supporters with no intention of "downloading and recompiling", I say we wait to see how the load screen has been updated.  If it is still jarring to the end user experience, perhaps the issue should be further addressed.

Edited by SilverRubicon
  • Like 1

JustEric78

Seems to load so fast for me now I barely get a blip of it, I do like what I can see though. Both are a good thing :)

moviefan

I like the way the load screen looks.

It is really annoying how long it just sits there for me though.  

From the time I hit the MB3 icon in WMC to my EHS it takes 40 seconds.  What is it doing during that time?

Cheesegeezer

Did you really mean to say this....?

"I can see it possibly introducing more problems and questions that are unnecessary than good if user adjustments are to me made"

Yup

Harmony

Try default and see if it makes a difference.  That will at least help us narrow it down.