Netflix Style Next Up Notifications

im85288

im85288

Introducing Next Up Notifications

This addon will popup a next up notification at a specified time period before the end (default is 30 seconds). Under the hood it checks whatever is playing and when it is an episode checks for the next unwatched episode in your library. It will then present that information in a popup style to allow quicker play of the next item or to cancel the next episode playing automatically.

You can configure the time before the end of the show the notification will show in the settings (under Addons->Services)

Skinners can skin the popup to their liking by checking the readme: Github

To install navigate to Services in the official Kodi repository and install Next Up Notifications

zvTvWcH.png

roJoDEK.png

hRVgEEL.png

Edited by im85288
  • Like 3

im85288

May I ask why you made it it's own addon?

Yes sure, after integrating it in the Emby addon I realised that the functionality could be used more generally for Kodi rather than specifically for Emby. By separating this into it's own addon it has two benefits. Firstly the Emby addon code logic is reduced and secondly this can be shared with the Kodi Community.

Having only just posted it on the Kodi forums (http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=228435) I feel there is a demand for the addon and possibly will submit it to the official kodi repo.

Edited by im85288
  • Like 1

scalda

Yes sure, after integrating it in the Emby addon I realised that the functionality could be used more generally for Kodi rather than specifically for Emby. By separating this into it's own addon it has two benefits. Firstly the Emby addon code logic is reduced and secondly this can be shared with the Kodi Community.

Having only just posted it on the Kodi forums (http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=228435) I feel there is a demand for the addon and possibly will submit it to the official kodi repo.

Brilliant looks like it was something needed by the looks of the kodi thread so far

• Like 1

im85288

No more force refresh in isengard :-( using git for now

Actually there is, you need to be using a skin that supports it. It's been moved to the side menu rather than the context menu for some reason. 

dark_slayer

Didn't realize that, thanks

I can't get it to work with the timer. It only works if I press watch now before time expires

Actually if the time expired the next up window is kind of stuck . . . maybe listen for ESC or backspace and map that to cancel? Once I get back to the season /episodes views with the dialog stuck there . . . pressing "watch now" does nothing

Works brilliantly when I press watch now though, ;)

im85288

Hmm strange...I just added a setting to allow the default behaviour to be not to play when the timer expires. I've never seen the behaviour your describing though as it normally just plays the next item. Can you experiment with those settings in the latest version?

dark_slayer

Tried play and don't play, actually rebooted OE between toggles just for peace of mind

Still only plays if I press watch now, perhaps because I always leave my video settings at show info?

Honestly the auto play without any intervention may get me into trouble with WAF as she would likely just go to sleep and play a whole season ;)

im85288

No it should be fine, I have Isengaard beta 1 on OE with video settings set to show info and have not had any problems. There was a request in the kodi forums for adding an option to not autoplay which I did..(although that does not fit the netflix way!)...No idea why it's not playing auto for you though, I'll keep an eye on more reports as they come in from the kodi forums to see if anyone else reports that behaviour.

jluce50

How easy would it be to essentially shrink the overlay by 40% or so? Right now it covers about half the screen and makes it difficult to see what's going on in the current video. Is it just a matter of changing the height/width values in the various control elements?

• Like 1

dark_slayer

I'm using the plugin paths rather than direct, but that's not preventing it from working when pressing watch now. I'll change the logging and run a few examples later today. My wife's watching at the moment, so it'll be a few hours

im85288

How easy would it be to essentially shrink the overlay by 40% or so? Right now it covers about half the screen and makes it difficult to see what's going on in the current video. Is it just a matter of changing the height/width values in the various control elements?

That's easily done and up to the skinner to implement. For example another skinner has chosen this format: http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=228435&pid=2018067#pid2018067 so basically you just need to ask the skinner of the skin your using to make a custom version (or if it's the arctic mod I made then I'm afraid it's staying as it is!...unless you can come up with a better mockup)  ;)

SwanStream

OK, I know this is an odd request... but is there a way (or would you consider implementing) an add-on option to reverse the logic? i.e. the pop-up as usual, but if nothing happens it assumes you don't want to proceed and just stops at the end of the current episode, and if there are signs of life it proceeds the next up play.

i.e. I'm getting older now and have been known to nod off mid show.... :o  I'd hate to miss an entire season of MASH while counting sheep!

• Like 1

im85288

It's funny you mention that I added an option to do that earlier on so it should be in the version you have currently. I'm also considering implementing a "are you still watching" feature..which is another request from the kodi forums, that would pop up the question if 3 episodes in a row are watched without intervention. Would be pretty cool if I can work that one out.

• Like 1

dark_slayer

Went to log my issue from earlier

On 1.0.0 now, and I can no longer reproduce what was happening earlier

SwanStream

Excellent, I'll have to give it a go! I guess now all I have to keep an eye open for is a version of this that'll work off a list of favorites and play the next episode of each before starting at the top of the list again... that way I won't have to pull my greasy fingers from the chips bag at all!!! 

BTW I like breaking it out from the emby add-on, good choice. Though I'm sure I'll use both, options are nice to have. cheers.

im85288

BTW I like breaking it out from the emby add-on, good choice. Though I'm sure I'll use both, options are nice to have. cheers.

Thanks, yeah I've already had contact from the Kodi guys to get the addon in the official repo so it was a good move. Just FYI, I have removed it completely from the Emby addon (only the beta version for now)...so going forward you'll not need to think about havimg to configure in two places.

im85288

Version 1.0.1 is out with a new "still watching" option included (aka netflix). You can configure the number of episodes watched without intervention (i.e. not pressing watch now) before the still watching window will be shown in the addon settings.

Testing is needed so please have a try and post back any findings (good or bad!)

XQZNmd8.png
  • Like 1

SwanStream

I have the option set to default to cancel.

a couple issues, one just a housekeeping one.

After watching an episode I get the prompt, which says something about continue watching, or press cancel to cancel... seems it should say the opposite if I've checked reverse logic box. That's the housekeeping item.

More importantly, I understood it was just to prompt if there were in fact more episodes in the library. Just watched a show that's got more episodes in the future, but not in the library at this time. So it prompted to watch the same episode I was already watching.

Two problems there, there were no more, and prompting to watch the same one again,... a 'groundhogs day' feature me wonders? :)

• Like 1

SwanStream

And a third something. When watching several shorts named in the standard series conversion Title - SxxExx I'm not seeing the continue prompt at all. Is that related to the length of show?

justpig

I am having the same issue of it prompting to watch the same episode if there is only one episode.

Correction it happens when it is the last available episode not necessarily the only episode.

Edited by justpig

im85288

Thanks guys, the problem with showing the last episode over and over again should be fixed in 1.0.2

For those using my Arctic Zephyr mod, there's a new view for the Next Up info

iB7VSLt.png

2KLxx7n.png

Edited by im85288