New Debian and Ubuntu Install Instructions.

hurricanehrndz

spaid

Emby update seemed to install fine after I stopped mediabrowser, but do I still need to manually remove it?  If so, how do I do that without removing any of my library/settings?

hurricanehrndz

Most things should have been removed, but you can check the following files

/opt/mediabrowser

/etc/init.d/mediabrowser

/var/run/mediabrowser.pid

hurricanehrndz

Glad, guys. Thanks for your patience. This has been a tremendous learning experience for me. 

ryantiger658

Worked like a dream for me!

The one recommendation I have is that maybe there should be some ways to send notifications to users running on Linux to let them know things have changed. I was wondering why it said my server was out of date even though apt-get update said that everything was up to date. It wasn't until apt-get update wasn't able to read the repo that I looked into what was going on and found that there was a new repo.

Thanks for all of your hard work!

emamid

Thanks for all the work! It's been working smoothly for me with Ubuntu Server 14.04.2 with the Linux 4.0.4-040004-generic x86_64 kernel, for about 36 hours, when previously the service was stopping for no apparent reason at least every eight hours.

cfineman

First: thanks for your efforts on this Hurricane (et al). 

I'm trying to install on a fresh Jessie VM. Followed the instructions but running into package conflicts with imagemagick... I'm gonna take a look later to see if I can unravel but thought I would throw this out there to see if anyone has already solved this:

root@jessie:/home/xxx# apt-get install imagemagick-6 libmagickwand-6 libmagickcore-6

Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree       
Reading state information... Done
E: Unable to locate package imagemagick-6
E: Unable to locate package libmagickwand-6
E: Unable to locate package libmagickcore-6
root@jessie:/home/xxx# apt-get install imagemagick-6.q8 
Building dependency tree       
Some packages could not be installed. This may mean that you have
requested an impossible situation or if you are using the unstable
distribution that some required packages have not yet been created
or been moved out of Incoming.
The following information may help to resolve the situation:

The following packages have unmet dependencies:
 imagemagick-6.q8 : Depends: libmagickcore-6.q8-2 (>= 8:6.8.8.2) but it is not going to be installed
                    Depends: libmagickwand-6.q8-2 (>= 8:6.8.8.2) but it is not going to be installed
                    Recommends: libmagickcore-6.q8-2-extra but it is not going to be installed
E: Unable to correct problems, you have held broken packages.

The following line is at the end of my sources.list (followed the original instructions putting it into sources.list.d but had the same problems)

cfineman

following up on my package conundrum.... it seems my jessie install had imagemagick-6.q16 installed on it. When I tried to install 'q8' it seemed to be trying to uninstall part of the q16 stuff but ran into issues (among other things a .so that was owned by multiple packages). I'm not sure if q16 would have been sufficient (I saw there was a stated preference for q8... perhaps because of the lower resource requirements?). At any rate, I was able to do the following sequence of commands and it *seems* i'm back on track (will start up the server later this eve... have some folks coming over soon so I have to stop tinkering soon!)

• apt-get remove perlmagick libimage-magick-q16-perl libimage-magick-perl
  • apt-get autoremove # Just to clean up a TON of crap that was no longer needed.. there were a shocking amount of orphaned packages
  • apt-get install imagemagick
  • apt-get upgrade
  • [the following ended up be a no-op]  apt-get remove perlmagick libimage-magick-q16-perl libimage-magick-perl
  • apt-get install emby-server # Success!

Just switched from my manual install to this on my Jessie server. All is working great, aside from me having to relogin every refresh, and not being able to connect to emby connect. (which isn't the packages fault)

Thanks!

• 1 month later...
SwanStream

First let me preface this with - I'm even less than a noob with linux! I'm making the switch from win7x64 due to a suspected failing motherboard and since I have to reinstall everything... "why not?"....

So I'm using Ubuntu 14.04 (x64 if that matters) and blindly going on faith and trying not to do typo's etc stupid stuff.

When I get to the update I get this error:

W: Failed to fetch http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/home:/emby/Ubuntu_14.04/Packages  404  Not Found [iP: 195.135.221.134 80]

E: Some index files failed to download. They have been ignored, or old ones used instead.

Thinking that's "just" an update and not critical to getting it working I proceed with:

sudo apt-get install mono-runtime mediainfo libsqlite3-dev imagemagick-6.q8 libmagickwand-6.q8-2 libmagickcore-6.q8-2
resulting in:

Building dependency tree       
E: Unable to locate package imagemagick-6.q8
E: Couldn't find any package by regex 'imagemagick-6.q8'
E: Unable to locate package libmagickwand-6.q8-2
E: Couldn't find any package by regex 'libmagickwand-6.q8-2'
E: Unable to locate package libmagickcore-6.q8-2
E: Couldn't find any package by regex 'libmagickcore-6.q8-2'

So now I'm drowning in lack of knowledge, a poke in the right direction would be greatly appreciated!!

The package is fine but there is a typo in your url. I would just cut and paste the scripts directly from the download page of the website.

fantaxp7

Luke, could we make "Run the following. Replace {Repository} with one of the following, depending on your distribution: Debian_7.0 or Debian_8.0." bold, bigger or something? There have been a number of users popping into the chat with this issue. Most assume the commands are indeed copy and paste but neglect to see this. 

SwanStream

The package is fine but there is a typo in your url. I would just cut and paste the scripts directly from the download page of the website.

OK, so I'm not capable of a cut/paste! :o

I did cut/paste, but somehow messed it up even though I did replace {xxxx} as indicated.

no idea how.

FWIW, I think the first wget line I saw the {xxxxx} and replaced, but the second line I didn't see it.

In any case, thanks for the help! All up and running.

follow-up question: is changing the username as easy as modifying it in the web interface?

• 1 month later...
Guest petwri

I installed the emby-server-beta package, but now wanted to go back to the stable release. Tried 'sudo apt-get remove emby-server beta' and 'sudo apt-get install emby-server', but version of the server is still the same as in the beta version. Any ideas?

• 4 weeks later...
EmbyNiels

I installed the emby-server-beta package, but now wanted to go back to the stable release. Tried 'sudo apt-get remove emby-server beta' and 'sudo apt-get install emby-server', but version of the server is still the same as in the beta version. Any ideas?

I had the same issue. I think restarting Emby will solve the issue. Otherwise you can try this:

sudo apt-get remove emby-server
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install emby-server
sudo service emby-server restart
Edited by EmbyNiels

EmbyNiels

Is there a PPA available for the latest dev build of Emby? I would like to test Intel QSV transcoding which is included from version 3.0.5739.23113.

Is it correct that the version number of the beta is lower than the version number of stable? This is confusing.

Is there a PPA available for the latest dev build of Emby? I would like to test Intel QSV transcoding which is included from version 3.0.5739.23113.

Is it correct that the version number of the beta is lower than the version number of stable? This is confusing.

Yes. It is correct since once Beta goes Stable there isn't a new beta until the next release cycle. So until the new release cycle begins Beta is always a lower version than Stable.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Edited by fc7

• 1 year later...

Can anyone help me with emby beta? I want to upgrade to stable version, will I lose all the configuration of the server? Thank you

Hi @@coaxial, we do not recommend switching release channels within the same Emby Server installation. But to answer the question, no, you won't.