Transcode/Subtitle Problem

rblu19

rblu19

One some movies my system seems to have trouble playing the video - if I just press play, it plays a bit, and then inches forward very slowly. If i start at a later scene, it just stays at a black screen with the length reading "00:02", and never moving. The logs seem to suggest it's a transcoding issue, but since it only happens on movies with forced subtitles (except for the latest, when it happens no matter how un-forced the subtitles become), I thought it might have be best to check with the experts. Also note that it works perfectly on vlc, so it's not a problem inherent to the file itself.

Server, transcode, and theater (just in case) logs included. Workflow, for whatever help it provides, was to exit server, and then restart (these logs are all from that restart on), open up emby theater and try to play the movie. When it didn't work, I stopped the movie, exited theater (back button until it gave me the option), and exited the server, to prevent too much excess code added after the movie stopped.

server-63567688450.txt

theater-63567688487.txt

transcode-9a19d3a6-86f3-4db5-9d27-140095d8165f.txt

DrWatson

It is only converting at 6 ish frames per second maybe your cpu is not up to the real time transcode

rblu19

Edit: nevermind, found the answer (I apologize to any that notice that my threads always seem to go this way, but in my defense I tend not to figure out the answer until hours after I post, regardless of if I wait to post in case i find it elsewhere). For any who have the same problem and see this thread before the other one, go here: http://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/11247-is-it-possible-to-disable-transcoding/

flexy123's post should be the answer to your problem.

Does it even need to transcode? It doesn't happen to the  movies without the subtitle thing (again, with the example used in the first post being the exception - otherwise making the subtitles non-forced and non-default solves it). Included are the logs of a movie that is entirely in english, so I didn't need subtitles selected - it did not even create a transcoding log, leading me to believe that the problem is entirely transcoding related.

So, is transcoding at all necessary for my situation, and if not how do I turn it off?

server-63567721285.txt

theater-63567721391.txt

Edited by rblu19