Is it possible to disable transcoding

mschlott
Go to solution Solved by Luke,

mschlott

I see the profiles and transcoding settings under DLNA, and have played with those some.  I can't see a way to disable transcoding from the Media Browser Client.   I am testing from a windows PC that should have all the codecs and splitters required and I would like to play video from my server without having it transcoded.   Is there a way I can disable transcoding all together or at least to a particular device.

Some background.   I just installed media browser last week and I think it rocks for my local media server.  I want to extend it to every TV in my house.   I am not having any luck with the Xbox.   I don't have the CPU power to transcode all my media in real time, nor do I want to, nor do I want to transcode it all in advance.

If I am going to extend Media Browser to all of my TVs, I need clients that will handle any media that I download.  For the proof of concept, I am just using PCs in the house.   I know they are all capable of handling playback.  If Media Browser can stream the media without transcoding, it is up to my network to handle the load.   If that works, I should be in good shape.

I have lots of media to test with.  MP2, MP4, AVI, MKV, AAC, AC3, DTS, 5.1, 7.1, low bit rate and high bit rate.  This should be a good test bed.

Any help in disabling transcoding will be greatly appreciated.

• Solution

we only transcode when needed. that is to say, if it is transcoding, it means that it would not play at all otherwise.

• Like 1

we only transcode when needed. that is to say, if it is transcoding, it means that it would not play at all otherwise.

Or, you have a configuration issue with your client.

Our HTPC clients (MBC/MBT) will prefer direct play but they have to be able to access the media directly in order to do that - which means you have to have created network shares the client machines can access and have defined your library on the server using those shares (either directly or via path substitution).

mschlott

Or, you have a configuration issue with your client.

Our HTPC clients (MBC/MBT) will prefer direct play but they have to be able to access the media directly in order to do that - which means you have to have created network shares the client machines can access and have defined your library on the server using those shares (either directly or via path substitution).

That would be it.  I do not share my media.  I'll get that configured and re-test.

Thanks much.

mschlott

So I shared out E:\movies and configured Media Browser Server changing the location of my Movies from E:\movies to \\myserver\movies.

Now my test movie plays without transcoding from windows.  I tried the android client and it plays some with transcode, some with stream copy and some with direct stream.  I assume stream copy plays from the share and direct stream plays from dlna without transcoding.  On the android, I see this information, but in windows from the MBT client, I  don't get these details.  Is there a way to display it?

I notice that some TV video plays as direct stream even though I don't have the TV folder shared.  This leads me to believe sharing is not required for non transcode direct stream.  This makes me think if I turn off DLNA server, the only option will be direct play which will force no transcoding.  If I don't want any transcoding, is there a down side to this?

i don't understand what you're asking. it is best to ask questions in the right areas of the forum for each app. my advice, you've got it playing, rest assured we always play it in the most efficient way possible, and sit back and watch the movie.

Redshirt

So I shared out E:\movies and configured Media Browser Server changing the location of my Movies from E:\movies to \\myserver\movies.

Now my test movie plays without transcoding from windows.  I tried the android client and it plays some with transcode, some with stream copy and some with direct stream.  I assume stream copy plays from the share and direct stream plays from dlna without transcoding.  On the android, I see this information, but in windows from the MBT client, I  don't get these details.  Is there a way to display it?

I notice that some TV video plays as direct stream even though I don't have the TV folder shared.  This leads me to believe sharing is not required for non transcode direct stream.  This makes me think if I turn off DLNA server, the only option will be direct play which will force no transcoding.  If I don't want any transcoding, is there a down side to this?

Transcoding will occur on all the mobile clients if they don't support the codec/container of the source video, or they can't access the media directly. Transcoding is a necessary evil. 

Streamcopy is a form of transcoding, it means the device supports the stream, but not the container. It's just not as cpu intensive as a full transcode. 

Direct play and direct stream are two different things. DIrect play means that the client can access the file directly. IE it can see the windows shares. Direct stream means the client couldnt' see the file directly so the server is streaming it without transcoding.

• Like 1

Transcoding will occur on all the mobile clients if they don't support the codec/container of the source video, or they can't access the media directly. Transcoding is a necessary evil. 

Hi Redshirt, thanks for clearing out the differences for me as noob :-)

One (maybe offtopic) question; do you suggest to install a codec for mobile clients? (And if so, what is advised for Android clients?)

Edited by 1972

• 1 month later...
mediaGuy

I use MBC and have a number of MKV files with DTS sound.  I see ffmpeg spawn and consume a lot of CPU.

I have the Sharky codec installed and assumed that it was supposed to realtime convert the DTS but either that's not happening or MB3 is spawning ffmpeg regardless.

Can anyone shed some light on this?  Can I disable ffmeg?  How does MB3 know sharky is not working?

Redshirt

If you are using MBC and you have your files on the local machine, or on a server using UNC paths (\\server\movies etc...) there should not be any transcoding going on at all. 

Red is correct.  You need to be sure you define your library in a way that MBC can access it directly (use UNC paths).

mediaGuy

That's odd, I'm guessing it's a bug/glitch.

95% of the time it is fine.  Every now and then MBC seems to hiccup when starting to play a file and for some reason I see ffmpeg spawned.

All my files are properly UNC referenced.

mediaGuy

Please open a new thread in the MBC forum with a MBC log from when this happens.  Thanks.

Will do.  I'll have to enable logging (currently disabled) and wait for the next occurrence.

Will do.  I'll have to enable logging (currently disabled) and wait for the next occurrence.

Make sure it is set to debug level.  Logging really doesn't slow anything down so I would leave it on.

Redshirt

No one asked yet, but is this local media that's transcoding? From what I understand MBC is just like the other clients when it comes to the server transcoding Channel content.

• 3 weeks later...
flexy123

There is an issue with that transcoding is ACTIVE every time when any subtitle settings in the player are specified, beyond default settings.

Set all subtitle settings to default in the player, don't specify any language etc. and it will NOT transcode

I just tested this. This may not even be a problem with MB but a general problem with how media is streamed. I had it in the back of my head that another media server, either XBMC or Plex had the same problem and where they mentioned that direct play is only possible WITHOUT any subtitles.

So if you have ANY settings other than the ones in the pic, it WILL transcode!

post-11690-0-56810400-1418055829_thumb.png

Edit: I am also having all my clients in the LAN, and transcoding is actually not wanted AT ALL, we don't need it. And yes all shares/files are UNC shares on the network. A setting that would ensure that transcoding will actually never happen would be VERY helpful!

Edited by flexy123

It just depends on what format your subtitles are in. IF they are text-based, for example, .srt or .ass/.ssa, then we can convert text to different formats on the fly and avoid transcoding. 

but if the subtitles are graphical, e.g pgs, then for some clients it will require transcoding. but the clients are doing their best to avoid it when possible, subject to device capabilities of course

willypitt

I am new to media browser.  I have been testing both media browser and media portal as a replacement, add-on for WMC.  (I need to keep WMC for cable TV recording of encrypted channels)  I prefer media browser but am having problems with pixilation on two clients and on the server. (I have both the MBC and MB server installed on my server machine, and MBC on my clients) I have scoured the posts for  transcoding problems but can't fix the problem.  All of my Machines are I5-3570K or above and have radeon 7750 graphics.  My movies folders are shared and accessible by the clients and shared on the server.  The movies are all MP4 and M4v  and play fine in Windows Media Player (and WMC) across the network.  In reading the above post I thought maybe I have a problem with subtitles forcing transcoding, but can't finding the above referenced config screen in MBC. (also pasted below).  I also don't understand why the MBC client on the server would have trouble playing the movies.  Thanks in advance for your help. 

post-11690-0-56810400-1418055829_thumb.p

MBC only transcodes if it can't access the media files directly.  I would confirm you actually have access set up the way you think you do. If you still can't figure it out, create a new topic with an MBC log.  Thanks.

Vidman

I am new to media browser. I have been testing both media browser and media portal as a replacement, add-on for WMC. (I need to keep WMC for cable TV recording of encrypted channels) I prefer media browser but am having problems with pixilation on two clients and on the server. (I have both the MBC and MB server installed on my server machine, and MBC on my clients) I have scoured the posts for transcoding problems but can't fix the problem. All of my Machines are I5-3570K or above and have radeon 7750 graphics. My movies folders are shared and accessible by the clients and shared on the server. The movies are all MP4 and M4v and play fine in Windows Media Player (and WMC) across the network. In reading the above post I thought maybe I have a problem with subtitles forcing transcoding, but can't finding the above referenced config screen in MBC. (also pasted below). I also don't understand why the MBC client on the server would have trouble playing the movies. Thanks in advance for your help.

post-11690-0-56810400-1418055829_thumb.p

The screenshot is from the server web client

• 4 years later...
studio-jurdan

I'm sory but i realy can't understand WHY EMBY force to transcode all off my film.   avi, mkv, mp' ALL

i had try with chrome, opera and firefox with the same result.

I'm sorry but it is realay BAD.   i think i'll quit EMBY.  there a lots off probl  and every day there is anothe new probl.

i use VLC  and all my film are readable

i also have vlc pluggin in all my web browser so WHY are you spending time for changing my player to have a player compatiblez with NOTHING?????

It is to ME to chose my player and not to YOU !

Another nexw probl i that EMBY stop playing when i cut internet  ans this in  LOCALHOST !!  i'm not OK with that 

why EMBY MUST use INTERNET when playing a film?

my banwith is limited and i don't uderstand  why i muse it to play on the same computer that the server is

THIS IS TOTALLY STUPID

I'm sory but i realy can't understand WHY EMBY force to transcode all off my film.   avi, mkv, mp' ALL

i had try with chrome, opera and firefox with the same result.

@studio-jordan, have you checked to see if your browser supports these containers? 

• No browser supports .avi
  • Only Chrome supports mkv