MB Theater crashes when trying to view trailers

brausm08

brausm08

Hi.  I notice on most all movie files i have, there is a 'Trailer' button next to the 'Play' Button as viewed in EMBY Theater.  if pressed, EMBY Theater gives an error: "Unhandled exception: Object reference not set to an instance of an object."  the audio of the trailer plays in the background until i click 'OK' on the error dialogue, at which time the audio stops and EMBY Theater crashes (MediaBroswer.UI has stopped working).  EMBY Server does not crash.  Is there a needed configuration for the 'Trailer' button to be usable in EMBY Theater...a youtube plugin perhaps?

This behavior described above holds true for my living room W7 NUC running EMBY Theater v.3.0.5591.19855 and my primary W7 computer running EMBY Theater v3.0.5591.19855 and EMBY Server v.3.0.5607.2.

The trailer button does work fine when browsing library directly in EMBY Server....launching Youtube via Firefox (my default browser) and playing the trailer.  i only have an issue with the trailer button in EMBY Theater.

any help would be greatly appreciated!  Thanks in advance.

P.S.  i tried completing this post in FireFox, but i couldn't attach a log (error: 'This upload failed')...clicking on 'Try our basic uploader' creates a dialogue stating 'Action Failed'  ....switching to Chrome allowed me to attach the log without issue.  could my issue be related to FireFox somehow?  i've noticed awhile back there is/was a problem using the auto-update from within Server, which i read also has/had something to do with firefox as a default browser.

server-63567467206.txt

brausm08

Thanks for looking into this.  I ran Theater a few minutes ago from my primary computer and noticed the update; i am now running Theater v30.5618.31030. 

clicking on the trailer button now no longer crashes EMBY Theater, but it still gives a notfication: "/!\ Error  There was an error processing the request."  and an OK button which returns back to EMBY theater without crashing.

is there also a future update needed for EMBY Server to get trailers working through EMBY Theater?  ...or some other configuration or plugin i am lacking?

Thanks again for your time.

hmm, i tested trailers without any problems. Did you try more than one trailer? I wonder if the url for that one just happens to be unavailable.

brausm08

Yes, i've tried a bunch....  all behaviour is the same:  it works in Server; fails in Theater.  I've also since tried a bunch on my NUC in the living room and they fail there too (running the same updated EMBY Theater version above).

I imagine this has most everything to do with how my media files/folders are set up and the sotware i use to manage them....

My media folders are set up as such:

D:\\MOVIES\Movie Title (Year)\moviefilename.mkv

D:\\MOVIES\Movie Title (Year)\moviefilename.jpg*

D:\\MOVIES\Movie Title (Year)\moviefilename.xml*

D:\\MOVIES\Movie Title (Year)\folder.jpg*

D:\\MOVIES\Movie Title (Year)\movie.xml*

D:\\MOVIES\Movie Title (Year)\moviefilename.nfo**

First thing i do is folder the file and give a recognizable title, then i use MCM (media center master) to scrape/create the .xml files and images denoted with a * above.  MCM also renames the folder to the more uniform 'Title (Year)'.  Then i use EMBY Server to create the .nfo file that i assume EMBY Srever and EMBY Theater use for their operation (denoted with **). In Server/Metadata/Services tab, i have Nfo at the top of the Metadata Readers and only Nfo checked in Metadata Savers:.  This is how i normally do everything, but i have also tried removing all parts that MCM scrapes/creates and the behaviour isn't any different i'm afraid.

Looking in the MCM .xml file (either one), there is a normal URL in between the <trailerURL> </trailerURL> tags....copying and pasting it in a browser leads to the proper youtube trailer.

Looking in the Nfo file created by EMBY, there's what appears to be a plugin script between the <trailer> </trailer> tags.  it looks something like this: "plugin://plugin.video.youtube/?action=play_video&videoid=[youtube video id]."  this is what made me think maybe a plugin was necessary to get trailers working in Theater.

i've tried renaming the <trailerURL> tags in the MCM .xml file to just <trailer> in case EMBY Theater is trying to get direction from there, but that didn't remedy the problem either.

i've also tried copying the normal URL fromt the .xml into the nfo in place of the plugin, but the problem still persists.

...at the risk of tl;dr, i'm trying to be as thorough as possible...i'm willing to try whatever other suggestions you might have if the issue isn't apparent with the details above.  again, thank you for your time.

moviefan

I just tried playing trailers and can confirm the same behavior as brausm08.

It no longer crashes my system but I get the error processing the request and nothing plays.  Just tried on a couple of movies.

My filename setup is more standard.  Just moviename-trailer.ext

Edited by moviefan

brausm08

@moviefan:  are you only trying to play trailers you have saved locally with your movie files, or stream them from the web?  if i place a video file in the folder with the movie file and rename it moviename-trailer.ext, it seems to work okay for me.

Edited by brausm08

brausm08

saw the recent update for MBT (v30.5621.22052). I don't know if the update was directly related to my trailer issue, but web-based trailers for a couple movies now seem to be working....it's not anywhere near the compatibility of viewing trailers when browsing library in Server, but it's a promising start!  thanks again.

brausm08

i went through my current collection and tried every trailer button in both MBT and Server.  i have 74 movies in my current collection....3 of these files have no trailer button associated with them in either MBT or Server (either too old or obscure i assume).  of the 71 files in MBT with a trailer button, 16 play a trailer.  the other 55 give the notfication: "/!\ Error  There was an error processing the request."

flip over to Server.  the same 16 that work in MBT play a trailer with a localhost8096 address in the search bar.  all others open a youtube link in a firefox tab and play the trailer (~6 had been removed due to DMCA complaint). 

i dug through the MBT logs to try to figure out why there's such a huge discrepency between trailers working and Server and MBT.  it appears as if MBT doesn't pull it's trailers from youtube at all....but at least 4 other websites: cdn.movie-list.com, movietrailers.apple.com,videos.hd-trailers.net, and avideos.5min.com.  ...is it safe to assume it displays a trailer button in MBT if Server tells it to, but then fails to load a trailer because one of these other 4 websites doesn't actually have it?

I'm not sure where EMBY pulls the info from to search for trailers.  in the cases where trailers work in MBT, i can delete the .xml/.nfo files, restart Server, load MBT, and the trailers still work....and all the other metadata is still there  ...is there a cache somewhere? ...or does it search for metadata on the fly based on folder name if there's no metadata file present?

most important of all, is there a way to simply direct MBT to read the youtube videoid from the .xml/.nfo file in the folder and stream the trailer from there?  ...rather than throw the notification: "/!\ Error  There was an error processing the request."?

that is correct. those are being supplied by the trailer plugin. at the moment, MBT doesn't play youtube trailers.

brausm08

oh man...wish i'd have known that a while ago.

what threw me was the EMBY .nfo line:

<trailer>plugin://plugin.video.youtube/?action=play_video&videoid=[youtube video id]</trailer>

out of curiousity: what app(s) use this?

EDIT:  ...and is it a feature you are planning on adding to MBT at some point?

Edited by brausm08

our Kodi addon uses the youtube trailers. the web client uses them. soon android and iOS will. basically, the apps need a way to play the trailers that is allowed within youtube's terms of service. the kodi method is not but we would rather follow protocol. So on windows that means we're going to have to pop open your browser to the youtube page for that video, and then allow you to watch full screen then exit gracefully