Web page crashes when entering Genre

skynet600

skynet600

Over the last few versions of the server I have noticed Safari struggling to open pages within Genre.  By default it tries to refresh the page three times then it gives an error about a repeated problem occurred and the page concerned.  I have to close the tab to recover.  It doesn't happen within FF on the local machine but it also happens if using chrome on the devide itself.  It also happens on my iphone.

server-63567278754.txt

safari does not handle graphically intense pages very well. you can try avoiding the use of large png's in your library. you can also try setting your page size down to 20 at a time. Failing those we might need to add a list view that uses small icons and make that the default for safari.

skynet600

Ah ok its a shame but I will bin the png's then.  Don't spend any time on it if it is just me :)  By the way what is the ideal / preferred image size?  I generally pick 1000x1500.  Is this considered ok?

Any reason why Chrome has the same issue or is it iOS itself?

Any size is OK. Going forward we'll just force all non-logo images as jpg (for safari). That's going to kill your png transparency but i've done what i can to make sure it still looks the same. The problem with png's is that we're unable to compress them. We can resize them to a smaller resolution, but we can't reduce quality in order to achieve smaller download sizes. So then what happens is you're pulling down these massive png's, the ios memory limit is quickly reached, and then this starts happening.

The reason why Chrome on iOS is the same is because Chrome on iOS is really just safari with a different skin and google features added. Truthfully, I wouldn't change your images. I'm sure eventually this will improve, either by Apple increasing or removing the limit, or by Apple finally allowing third party browsers to include their own browsing engine. That way Chrome will actually be Chrome. The force to jpg hack that I'm going to add ought to be good enough in the meantime.