Lives TV Exits after a few minutes sometimes sooner

tphillip1120

tphillip1120

Since several Emby updates ago, Live TV through the Emby Web interface and through my Roku 3

plays for a few minutes at most and then exits.

Looking at my ServerWMC Log file it appears as though ServerWMC is receiving a request

from Emby Server to close the stream.

I am using a a Hauppauge 2250 WinTV Card which does not support DLNA, so I have disabled

Stream Live channels using DLNA to MediaBrowser in the ServerWMC Live TV Config

hoping this was the problem. Emby seemed to play Live TV a little longer after changing this setting

but is still exiting after a minute or two.

I have attached both the logs for ServerWMC (partial log) and for Emby. Hopefully someone can help me figure

out what the problem might be.

Thanks,

Tony

ServerWMCLog.txt

server-63567113246.txt

transcode-4e8f0a18-84c7-4f53-aa4c-ddfbce6a13dd.txt

tphillip1120

I am at work right now and ready to leave, but started a live tv stream in chrome and it has been playing now for 12 minutes.

I will continue to let it run and remote to my desktop later to see if the stream is still playing. Playing for 12 minutes now

through Chrome is encouraging though. I will disconnect the work stream and see how long I can stream live tv from home tonight.

The stopping after a few minutes was happening in both Firefox and Internet Explorer.

tphillip1120

Now this is strange. While accessing Live TV from a very fast connection (work connection at 50 mbs download speed)

using Google Chrome, the connection seems to stream fine. When at home accessing Live Tv through Google Chrome

with a 3 mbs download speed live tv exits after a minute or two. I have the stream settings in Emby set to 480X1.5 mbs

at both locations. I even tried a 480X1.0 mbs setting on the slower connection. When I first tried streaming it seemed

to work longer. Subsequent attempts to stream live tv played for less time before the stream stopped. I noticed you just released

an update to the Roku app which I have not been able to try yet, but last night I noticed these issues:

1. When attempting to play a live tv channel from the Guide, The Roku app blows up and sends me back to my Roku Main Menu.

2. When attempting to play a live tv channel from the Channels Section of the Roku App the stream plays for a little bit and then stops.

3. Movies play fine from within the Roku App with the exception of some buffering issues occurring after the stream has played for about an hour.

I have attached logs files from yesterday and today.

Thanks,

Tony

server-63567085826.txt

server-63567172127.txt

ServerWMC.log

ServerWMC_20150513.log

transcode-4c6e19dc-1e7c-44d1-8479-948c82a500c7.txt

transcode-8cb1d15e-f73e-441f-8c49-a97fa92b596c.txt

transcode-41a0523c-b82f-4f32-ba2e-ec28706dac86.txt

transcode-948c0e9d-e732-4419-af4e-b48dabfe1b4a.txt

transcode-e8e53db7-3d2e-461f-a8ff-249185ce75db.txt

krustyreturns

This is not related to your live-tv problem, but looking at your serverwmc log you have the setting 'Debug_RemuxAllRecordings' set to true.  There is really no reason to set this, it's really only there for debugging and will make the playback of wtv files slower than they need to be.

As for the problem with streams stopping early for live tv, one thing that would be interesting to try is to go to the 'http service' tab in serverwmc and enable the http host service.  After it is enabled, on the same page enable 'Use URLs insteam of SMB... ...for MediaBrowser-Server'.  See if running in this mode has an impact on the stopping early problem.

• Like 1

tphillip1120

Krusty your a genius! After implementing your suggestions, I ran multiple tests last night and streaming live tv is working perfectly now through the Roku and the Web Client even through a slow 3 mbs internet connection. No more Roku app blowups either when attempting to play live tv through the Roku Guide!

• Like 1

krustyreturns

That's great, thanks for letting me know. I have been wanting someone who has the 'live-tv stops early' problem, that shows up in non-dlna mode, to test this.  I was hoping the above fix would work but since I don't have the problem I couldn't test it.

tphillip1120

Your welcome and  thank you for figuring this out. I just ordered a Ceton 4 tuner card so I am anxious to begin testing on it

as well. I believe that card does support DLNA.

krustyreturns

I don't think it does do dlna.  I think only si-dust tuners like the hdhr prime do.

tphillip1120

Well, it will be another good test of non DLNA mode then with other hardware. I am looking for better resolution

since the Hauppauge analog tuners are not good at displaying tv in 16x9 format.

• 1 month later...
Falstaff

As for the problem with streams stopping early for live tv, one thing that would be interesting to try is to go to the 'http service' tab in serverwmc and enable the http host service.  After it is enabled, on the same page enable 'Use URLs insteam of SMB... ...for MediaBrowser-Server'.  See if running in this mode has an impact on the stopping early problem.

I know this is an old post, but these settings fixed the problem for me. Thanks Krustyreturns!

krustyreturns

No, its not.  I thought it might solve the long standing problems we have had with streams stopping early (in non-dlna) but I really wanted to get some testing done with it before I made it the default.

krustyreturns

@@bmoses, thanks - I didn't know about this thread (someone should have slapped a @krustyreturns in there).   I think I will make a sticky about this issue in this forum and think about how to make this the default in serverwmc for emby going forward.

• 1 month later...
Pcrockett83

I was having the same issue with my Roku 3, where the live stream from Emby would sometimes stop on its own, although in my case it sometimes wouldn't happen for 20 or 30 minutes. Anyway, this solution seems to have fixed the problem for me.

mjktg99

I don't watch much live TV anymore... but this would randomly happen to me on my Roku.  Although, for me it would be after an hour or 2 that it would just stop.  And sometimes not at all.  I changed this setting and hopefully that fixes this issue.  Especially with NFL starting soon.

• 3 weeks later...
mjktg99

I just want to follow up that this has seemed to resolve 2 issues for me.  1 is with the Live Stream stopping early.  The other is about 50% of the time when I would hit play on a channel, it would start loading but never load and go back to the channel screen.  After making this change, that hasn't happened at all.

• 1 month later...
btgerold

I was having the same issue, and this appears to have fixed it on Roku.  Still having issues streaming to the Android app.  Will try restarting everything to see if that helps.