Show / Tell your server Setup?

footose

shaefurr

Server: (operates as both the server and my main gaming PC/emby client)

Intel Core i5 4690k Devil's Canon

8GB Kingston Hyper X Fury

MSI Z97S Krait Edition

MSI GTX 960 100ME

Corsair HX750

500GB Western Digital Black (OS)

1TB Western Digital Green (Games)

4x 3TB Western Digital Green (FlexRAID)

2x1.5TB Western Digital Green (FlexRAID)

Fractal Design Define R3

Logitech G700

Logitech K360

2x Dualshock 4

Software

Windows 8.1

Emby Server

Kodi with Titan skin

MBT

New MBT

Steam

Utorrent

MSI Afterburner

HWinfo

Inputmapper

Rainmeter

Raptr

Origin

Media Center Master

DVDfab

Photoshop

HTPC1

Asus (forgot model)

Intel dual core pentium

4GB G. Skill

MSI 430 GT

Windows 8.1

MBT

Steam

Thermaltake Urban S1

HTPC2

MSI P55-CD53

Intel Core i3

8GB G. Skill

AMD

Windows 8.1

MBT

Steam

Apevia X-plorer

Other Clients

2x laptops

Google Nexus 7

Windows Phone

Android Phone

iPhone

5554d16bd2e5e_WP_20150228_18_29_33_ProSm

5554d316abf8f_WP_20150228_16_15_06_ProSm

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
JeremyFr79

So I made some major changes to my setup here in the last week.

I got rid of the 2 exisiting SuperMicro chassis, and replaced them with a new server for storage.

The new unit is

SuperMicro 846e enclosure

dual 800 watt PSU's

60GB SSD - OS/Apps

20.2TB RAID 50 Array (24 HGST Ultrastar 1TB 7200 Sata Drives)

Adaptec 3805 SAS Controller with 512MB BBWBC

Dual Xeon L5520 CPU's (2.27Ghz Quad Core with HT, 16 Threads total)

48GB fully buffered PC3-8500

Windows Server 2008R2 x64

The thing is quite the beast.  The array is providing 650MBps read & write which means I'm most likely completely saturating the PCI-E slot for bandwidth :)

Edited by JeremyFr79

nagetech
post-37857-0-46810200-1433278748_thumb.jpg

Finally got around to sharing mine. Might not be that impressive but she is all mine :)

Top 2U server is my Domain controller also running Hyper V. Host OS just does the basic AD stuff and hosts the Acronis Software for Network Backups, the VM is running all my VPN/Downloading software etc.

Specs:

Dual Opteron CPU
1 x SSD Boot
1 x 320GB (backup drive for network)
1 x 1TB download Drive
32GB Ram

Next is the 1U server with the 2 x 3U SAS Case Attachments. This is where I have my Emby installed. I use Drive Bender to manage all the drives and make them into one large volume. It's kind of like Raid, but without the headaches :) It mimics the Drive Pooling Feature that was introduced in Windows Home Server. I also run Couch Potato and Sonarr on here for media management.

Specs:

Dual Xeon
24GB Ram
1 x SSD Boot Drive
20 x 1TB Drives
11 x 2TB Drives

Bottom Acer system is my firewall. I run smoothwall on it. Nothing else to say there :)

There's the gist of my setup. Let me know what you guys think or if you have any questions!

Thanks!

post-37857-0-46810200-1433278748_thumb.jpg

JeremyFr79

Finally got around to sharing mine. Might not be that impressive but she is all mine :)

Top 2U server is my Domain controller also running Hyper V. Host OS just does the basic AD stuff and hosts the Acronis Software for Network Backups, the VM is running all my VPN/Downloading software etc.

Specs:

Dual Opteron CPU

1 x SSD Boot

1 x 320GB (backup drive for network)

1 x 1TB download Drive

32GB Ram

Next is the 1U server with the 2 x 3U SAS Case Attachments. This is where I have my Emby installed. I use Drive Bender to manage all the drives and make them into one large volume. It's kind of like Raid, but without the headaches :) It mimics the Drive Pooling Feature that was introduced in Windows Home Server. I also run Couch Potato and Sonarr on here for media management.

Specs:

Dual Xeon

24GB Ram

1 x SSD Boot Drive

20 x 1TB Drives

11 x 2TB Drives

Bottom Acer system is my firewall. I run smoothwall on it. Nothing else to say there :)

There's the gist of my setup. Let me know what you guys think or if you have any questions!

Thanks!

You just don't see Rackable stuff anymore like you used to, nice setup.

nagetech

Truthfully I hadn't ever seen them before, but when shopping around 2 years ago when I originally got this stuff, I stumbled across it and thought holy hell this is the perfect setup for me on so many levels!! I had a Norco RPC 420 Case and loved it, but at the same time it was such a hastle. with this setup, I can keep changing or upgrading servers if I wanted to, and the drives don't have to move at all!

Also, they were one of the few half depth servers I could find since I was working with a small space. they are about 16.5 inches deep which is perfect.

Other then that, don't know much else about Rackable Systems :)

CBers

I use Drive Bender to manage all the drives and make them into one large volume. It's kind of like Raid, but without the headaches :) It mimics the Drive Pooling Feature that was introduced in Windows Home Server.

Another Drive Bender user :)

• Like 1

nagetech

Another Drive Bender user :)

Yeah, I've dealt with RAID over the years, and for all their good, they are also a pain in the ass in my opinion. Drive Bender makes life so much easier. Hey! They just released a new version a day or 2 ago which helps a bit with performance issues. Upgraded and so far so good! Just a heads up!

• Like 2

JeremyFr79

Truthfully I hadn't ever seen them before, but when shopping around 2 years ago when I originally got this stuff, I stumbled across it and thought holy hell this is the perfect setup for me on so many levels!! I had a Norco RPC 420 Case and loved it, but at the same time it was such a hastle. with this setup, I can keep changing or upgrading servers if I wanted to, and the drives don't have to move at all!

Also, they were one of the few half depth servers I could find since I was working with a small space. they are about 16.5 inches deep which is perfect.

Other then that, don't know much else about Rackable Systems :)

Yeah I've spent years working in Data Centers and servers, and Rackable was actually a division of SGI (Yes THAT SGI) they were pretty popular for quite a few years, not sure whatever really happened though.  These day's I see alot of Dell, IBM, HP, and Cisco UCS.

CBers

Yeah, I've dealt with RAID over the years, and for all their good, they are also a pain in the ass in my opinion. Drive Bender makes life so much easier. Hey! They just released a new version a day or 2 ago which helps a bit with performance issues. Upgraded and so far so good! Just a heads up!

I haven't had a chance to install v2.3.5.0 yet - might wait till v2.4.0.0 is released.

nagetech

Yeah I've spent years working in Data Centers and servers, and Rackable was actually a division of SGI (Yes THAT SGI) they were pretty popular for quite a few years, not sure whatever really happened though.  These day's I see alot of Dell, IBM, HP, and Cisco UCS.

http://www.infoworld.com/article/2632392/m-a/rackable-systems-becomes-sgi--closes-deal.html

There's the article that explains that.

I do love their systems though.

• Like 1

JeremyFr79

http://www.infoworld.com/article/2632392/m-a/rackable-systems-becomes-sgi--closes-deal.html

There's the article that explains that.

I do love their systems though.

That explains a lot, 5 years ago you couldn't walk into a data center in my area and not see rackable stuff.  It was never pretty but they were built like tanks.

Matt & Emily

I was just wondering what people have here for server setup. Mine's pretty simple and I think just on the edge of being not fast enough to serve.

Mine:

Windows 8.1 Enterprise N

4 Gig Ram

Intel Core 2 Duo CPU E8400 @ 3.00GHz

4 - 1TB Drives for 4TB Total - strictly for storage.

1 - 500G Drive that's partitioned to 100 gigs for OS and 400 gigs for anything else.

The system only runs uTorrent and Emby essentially.

What are you running? What other specs can we share or tips that we can do to make things better / faster?

Just a minor recommendation... Use Deluge rather than uTorrent, after news was released that uTorrent had hidden Miners in I decided to try and find a new, 'trusted' (Yeah, I know, rich from a torrenter) P2P client and Deluge seems to be a fantastic replacement offering a open source client without intrusive ads and what not.

In terms of hardware, I have:

Gen8 microserver,

10GB RAM,

2TB HDD,

64GB SSD (Boot drive),

Server 2012 R2

Software:

Deluge,

Emby Server

And that's about it!

pir8radio

what happened to all the picture posting....  I enjoy looking at what other peoples setups look like, messy or not.... Post some pix!

• Like 2

JeremyFr79

Hey don't make fun of my ghetto rack.  I only have 7' ceilings in my basement, and yeah it's a pain in the ass.  But it works, hold's all my gear and that's what matters lol, eventually I'll get a real rack for down there.  For now GHETTO Rack it is lol

blaize9

Main Server (Windows Server 2012R2 Datacenter) Main Use: Hyper-V

Processor: 2x Xeon E5-2680 v2

Motherboard: EP2C602-4L/D16

RAM: 64GB ECC Registered Kingston 8x 8GB

Storage: Much SSDs

Case: ARMOR-EVO

Other: 4GB Fiber card

Storage Server (FreeNas)

Processor: 2x Xeon L5630

Motherboard: MBD-X8DAI-O

RAM: 24GB ECC Registered Kingston 3x 8GB

Storage: 5x 3T + 1 SSD for L2ARC ZFS

Case: ARMOR-EVO

Other: 4GB Fiber card

Edited by blaize9

politby

post-1290-14334816614394_thumb.jpg

Old HP networking rack from Blocket, Sweden's equivalent of Craigslist, for $40

From top to bottom:

Belkin rackmount console

Main media server running Windows Server 2012 R2 Essentials. Pentium G3420, Asus Vanguard B85 mobo, 16GB RAM. 6x Digital Devices DVB-S2 tuners, 2x Blackgold DVB-T2 tuners. Runs DVBlink, Emby & Plex servers. Flexraid tRAID with 24 TB storage. 2x Crucial mSATA SSDs in Raid-1 for the O/S.

HP DL385 G2 server with 2x 2.6 GHz Opteron dual core CPUs, 16GB RAM. 6 NICs. Runs ESXi with 2 production VMs (Sophos UTM, Milestone Xprotect) and various test VMs. Also has a blu-ray drive for ripping of discs using MakeMKV.

Mikrotik RB2011 router, 1000/1000 fiber Internet. USB 3G (LTE signal does not reach into my basement) dongle for fail over if fiber link goes down.

HP Procurve 24-port gigabit switch

Around the house are two HTPCs running windows 8.1 and media center with Emby Classic, a bunch of Android phones, Windows tablets and desktops. Also have two LG Smart TVs running the Plex client.

WiFi is courtesy of two 3Com AP9552 DualBand access points.

Edited by politby
  • Like 2

politby

Omg, tie up your cables or something! [emoji14] heheh

Awesome set up otherwise! :D

Thanks for the compliment.[emoji3] Since the photo was taken I have actually tied up the cables.

I wish I had a patch panel for all of the Ethernet cabling, but my house was built 15 years ago and the electrician who did all the wiring just gave me a blank look when I asked him to pull cat cable to all the rooms. in hindsight I really should have insisted, but I did not, so the Ethernet cabling has been added in a piecemeal fashion over the years. I have managed to install about 10 wall jacks in various parts of the house, but some locations are simply not reachable.

I also just noticed that the photo is older than what I think is the coolest addition to my setup, a bright green optical cable that connects the HP switch to a 3com PoE switch installed in the attic that powers my 4 surveillance cameras. I had to run the optical cable through the exterior wall and in a conduit along the siding on the outside up to the attic because all of the existing conduits inside the walls are fully occupied.[emoji16]

My summer project for this year is to run underground Ethernet cable from the basement switch to the boat dock, which is about 30 meters from the house, so I can install surveillance camera that watches the dock and have wired internet to the boat when docked (which it is most of the time because I can't afford the fuel bills [emoji26])

Edited by politby
  • Like 1

pir8radio

Love the rack... ;).

Hey don't make fun of my ghetto rack.  I only have 7' ceilings in my basement, and yeah it's a pain in the ass.  But it works, hold's all my gear and that's what matters lol, eventually I'll get a real rack for down there.  For now GHETTO Rack it is lol

:lol:    Nothing wrong with a wooden rack (except those split ends, pre-drill and don't over tighten) most audio equipment racks are wood.   Paint it black put some blank filler plates in, and no one will ever know!   plus the cost of a "server" rack for a few devices... :o     Looks good!

Edited by pir8radio

JeremyFr79

:lol:    Nothing wrong with a wooden rack (except those split ends, pre-drill and don't over tighten) most audio equipment racks are wood.   Paint it black put some blank filler plates in, and no one will ever know!   plus the cost of a "server" rack for a few devices... :o     Looks good!

It really is temporary hence the lack of precision in the building lol. I'm either going to buy or build a nicer rack eventually. But it's solid and gets the job done for now.

LiquidFX

HTPC Information
CPU
Intel Core i5-4670K 3.4GHz Quad-Core

Motherboard
Gigabyte GA-Z87-HD3 ATX LGA1150

Memory
G.Skill Ares Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-2400

Storage
Samsung 840 Pro Series 128GB 2.5" SSD
Seagate Barracuda 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM
Seagate Barracuda 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM

Power Supply
Corsair 600W ATX12V

Optical Drive
Lite-On ihes112-04 Blu-Ray Reader, DVD/CD Writer

Operating System
Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 (OEM) (64-bit)

Case
nMEDIAPC Black Aluminum / Steel HTPC 2000B ATX Media Center / HTPC Case

• Like 1

Blueeyiz702

these are some nice setsup! check the kodi site,ive been talking to one of the guys that has setup worth almost 17.000.00 so far.i mean he has total automation for home and even has kodi running off tablets mounted in his car,its sic!

thats what i call all in guys1

Edited by blueeyiz7021