Unable to pause with remote

Jooced

Using the internal player, when I hit pause on the remote the OSD pops up but the show keeps playing. Chapter skip and stop work fine. If I pause via a mouse click then hit it on the remote it will very quickly unpause but then pause again.

At first I thought it was a remote issue but there's a few reasons I don't think that's the issue:

1.) I also used a phone based remote (Unified Remote) and used the media remote settings. A pause shows the same behavior.

2.) This exact remote setup works for Plex Home Theater, WMC.

3.) I can use VLC or MPC-HC as external players and pause works fine.

Any thoughts?

Logos302

I will say that pause on my remote works.  Is it possible that your remote is sending Play/Pause button in stead of just pause?  Which VLC and MPC-HC and Plex Home Theater is interpreting properly but MBC (Which using the same thing as WMC) is not.   Not sure but MBC with debug logging might show what MBC is getting.  I don't believe that MBC really dose much with the remote, but I did recall having problems with volume in previous builds. maybe it's related.  

I will say that pause on my remote works.  Is it possible that your remote is sending Play/Pause button in stead of just pause?  Which VLC and MPC-HC and Plex Home Theater is interpreting properly but MBC (Which using the same thing as WMC) is not.   Not sure but MBC with debug logging might show what MBC is getting.  I don't believe that MBC really dose much with the remote, but I did recall having problems with volume in previous builds. maybe it's related.  

This is the MBT forum so I'm assuming that's what he's talking about, not MBC.

As for MBC, the default theme and chocolate do respond properly to the play/pause button.  Some other themes, however, may not.

First, great remote support right out of the starting gate!

Just one question, my remotes send the play/pause command (single button) which just momentarily pauses the media in MBT then continue he's playing...is there a setting (or maybe just not yet implemented setting) for dealing with these remote commands?

Edited by Erik

no that sounds like a bug. if it's a legit play pause then i'll look into it. if it's actually sending one play followed by one pause then i'm not going hack around that.

The photo below is the remote I'm using along with its official IR receiver, its a single play/pause button. It use to work with WMC just fine, that's why I thought it may be a bug.

Thanks.

528accf6f3f5c_Remote.jpg

I just installed MBT tonight and am also experiencing a similar issue. I am using a Logitech Harmony remote which has always worked fine in WMC, MB2, MBC and XBMC. Pressing Pause (a single button separate from Play) does not do anything. The OSD does not pop up. After reading the above I did try using my app based remote (Unified Remote) and it seemed to work perfectly. 

Official MCE remote works fine with pause as well.  I cannot figure out which button makes a title unwatched though.  Used to be "clear" on the MCE remote.  Also info button doesn't work.  Instead I have to push *

I have a Harmony One, but it needs a replacement rechargeable battery  - is it worth spending the money on that, or just stick to my original MCE remote?

Edited by DigiTM

I was experiencing similar issues... for some reason (maybe coincidence) it only seems to happen with 3D titles. I figured it might have had something to do with the IR signal coming from the tv for 3D was mixing up the remote signal, not too sure though because it's never happened before.. Seems to be working fine now though, just kind of finnicky here and there.

I'm also using a Harmony Remote

Edited by pmac

I looked into this a little more since other people are seeing this issue.  I'm using a Harmony remote which is programmed for my USB IR receiver (crappy Chinavision one). When configuring the remote there is only an option for Play/Pause. Not just Pause.

So I understand WHY MBT is acting differently. What I don't understand is why all of the other media players I have used work correctly.

I don't know the underlying technology but there's something different about MBT vs. all other media players. If a WMC compatible IR receiver is mandatory that might be something end users need to know in the future.

Edited by Jooced

Scott84Z28

I also noticed this last night.  I'm using a Logitech Dinovo mini.  Pause just brought up the OSD, and then seemed like it would pause then quickly play again.  I also tried using a no name PS2 keyboard that has media keys, it has the same effect.  I had to use the mouse to push the pause button.  Another thing, the skip button in MBC used to jump in 30 second intervals.  In MBT is jumps 5 minutes.  Can this be customized?  I like to skip through the "previously on..." but 5 minutes goes to far into the show.
So far great product though! Very clean and very fast!

Just an update on my remote situation. My Harmony remote uses an iMon receiver to communicate with the HTPC. To get my remote functioning correctly I had to add a new profile to iMon software for MediaBrowser Theater. I simply told the remote to use standard XPMediaCenter controls. After doing this Play/Pause/Skip etc all work as expected.

My only question now is, are the icons that line the top of MediaTheater (Home, Settings Cog, Full Screen/Now Playing) supposed to be accessible via remote control? I can move my cursor around fine except it will not move up to that top line of icons. The only major issue this poses is that if I back up during playback, I have no way to return to full screen except to grab a mouse.

Nevermind, this appears to be working now too.

Edited by Deimos

• 2 weeks later...
nnylray

I'm having the same issue. The remote definitely has separate play and pause buttons. Neither one works in the MBT internal player. It works fine for all other players.

Sent from my RM-878_nam_usa_100 using Tapatalk

Blackice

I've got the same remote as Erik and also a Logitech K260 keyboard that has a single play/pause button. Pressing either the play/pause on the remote or the keyboard results in the OSD coming up but the video continues to play.

Tapping spacebar on the keyboard will pause for me though :)

WWWestern

Also with my Genius LuxeMate 810 Media Cruiser. Hitting Play/Pause button stops a video for milliceconds then continue playing. ((

Am seeing the same thing with Roomie Remote using MCE Controller.  think I will map the 'space' keyboard press as a stop gap solution.

As noted in the very first post, the play/pause button does cause the osd to briefly appear on the screen, this would indicate it is not a focus issue.  It just does not pause as it should.  Mapping the space key to my remote does work for pause where the default pause/play does not work - this would not be the case if it were window focus issue.

I've experienced this first hand exact same thing, upon clicking in the MBT window with a mouse, problems with remote were resolved...

• Like 1