Kodi not displaying folder.jpg?

feardamhan

feardamhan

Howdy all

So I have metadata created by Emby in NFO format stored with the media on a NAS drive. I've configured Kodi on a seperate machine to access the NAS shares directly, and configured the Kodi video sources to use 'Local Information Only'.

Now, when I browse my library, I have all the text descriptions, banners and even episode images.

However, where it should read the relevant folder.jpg referenced in the NFO file it doesnt display it. This means

TV Shows display the thumb instead of the folder.jpg

TV Series show no images at all

Movies show no images at all.

Is this a NFO Saving issue? Or a Kodi reading NFO issue?

One thing. My Emby server is Windows, and therefore saves the path to the folder.jpg in the format \\server\share\movies\moviename\folder.jpg

My Kodi box is linux....so might have an issue with the path style? But that makes me wonder how it shows thumb.jpg...perhaps its defaulting to that after failing to find the folder.jpg due to a path issue?

Any ideas?

marcelveldt

You need the emby addon with kodi to do what you want...

feardamhan

You need the emby addon with kodi to do what you want...

Doesn't that enforce that the media is served by the emby server and not directly? I'm trying to avoid this machine (Rpi2) requiring the emby server to be online in order to play media which is permanently available directly from the NAS drive.

Or can I install and configure the emby addon and still have the media played directly by setting up video sources connected straight to the NAS drive?

If that's your requirement then I would not use the add-on and just use Emby Server to create nfo metadata. As far as what images get used, that is going to vary per skin. We're saving all images using file names listed in the Kodi wiki as well as based on community testing results. But if a skin does something different it's really beyond our ability to control.

feardamhan

Thanks Luke. That gives me somewhere to start testing. I was using Titan MediaBrowser, but I might try a few others to see what happens.

marcelveldt

Kodi no longer accesses images on the file name but the images need to be scraped into the library from kodi. This should work fine with the nfo files that are created by the emby server.

Remember that without the addon you won't have shared watch states.

You could best test with the default confluence skin, if that supports it, report back to me so I can fix it in Titan. I remember that not every scenario was covered by the nfo files. In case of missing images you could try the artwork downloader addon, besides download missing artwork it would add your local images to the kodi database.

Again, all this work isn't needed when using the emby addon but indeed, the server needs to be online for that. Why not install emby on your nas?

feardamhan

So I've made some progress by doing the following:

For Movie sources, enable the "Movies are in seperate folders that match the movie title". Now it displays the folder.jpg 

For TV Sources, remove the thumb.jpg that it seems to default to. Now the TV Series shows the folder.jpg

What I cant get working and cant figure out is when I enter a tv series, and there are several folders like 'Season 01', 'Season 02' etc, no skin (including Confluence and Titan Mediabrowser) that I've tried honours the NFO details for the poster detail for either the season or the episodes within it. Example from season.nfo:

<art>
    <poster>\\192.168.15.9\Media\Animation\Avengers - Earths Mightiest Heroes\Season 02\folder.jpg</poster>
    <fanart>\\192.168.15.9\Media\Animation\Avengers - Earths Mightiest Heroes\Season 02\backdrop.jpg</fanart>
</art>

Example of an episode.nfo

<art>
    <poster>\\192.168.15.9\Media\Animation\Avengers - Earths Mightiest Heroes\Season 02\metadata\4188739.jpg</poster>
</art>

Is there a reason that a sub-folder will not display a image, despite it being the NFO?

I'm trying to avoid each media center in the house doing its own scraping, so while running the artwork downloader addon will download more files its not the ideal when all the metadata I need appears to be there already.

Edited by feardamhan

feardamhan

If that's your requirement then I would not use the add-on and just use Emby Server to create nfo metadata. As far as what images get used, that is going to vary per skin. We're saving all images using file names listed in the Kodi wiki as well as based on community testing results. But if a skin does something different it's really beyond our ability to control.

Hey Luke.

So I've dug further into this. Based on http://kodi.wiki/view/Artwork

It would appear that to be truly Kodi compatible, the TV Season image needs to be saved in the format season01-poster.jpg in the parent folder (ie that of the TV Show itself). Right now its saved as folder.jpg in the season folder. Kodi doesnt find that either by looking itself, or being directed to it via the NFO file.

Likewise, the TV Episode thumbnail needs to be saved in the format episodename-thumb.jpg in the season folder, whereas currently its saved as episodename.jpg in the metadata subfolder underneath the season folder.

Based on my test, Kodi will find all the local metadata if its saved like this. All skins appear to honour this. However, it seems that its finding the file as this is where it expects them to be, and not because of the values set in the relevant NFO files

TV Series
----->Season 01
----------->EpisodeS01E01.mkv
----------->EpisodeS01E01-thumb.jpg
----------->EpisodeS01E01.nfo
----------->season.nfo
----->Season 02
----------->EpisodeS02E01.mkv
----------->EpisodeS02E01-thumb.jpg
----------->EpisodeS02E01.nfo
----------->season.nfo
----->season01-poster.jpg
----->season02-poster.jpg
----->folder.jpg
----->tvshow.nfo

I'm running the latest version of Kodi, so on my system, NFO saver isnt creating the files with the correct names or in the correct locations. Or possibly Kodi is not capable of getting to the files based on the path presented in the NFO file.

Thoughts welcome!

marcelveldt

Hey Luke.

It would appear that to be truly Kodi compatible, the TV Season image needs to be saved in the format season01-poster.jpg in the parent folder (ie that of the TV Show itself). Right now its saved as folder.jpg in the season folder. Kodi doesnt find that either by looking itself, or being directed to it via the NFO file.

Likewise, the TV Episode thumbnail needs to be saved in the format episodename-thumb.jpg in the season folder, whereas currently its saved as episodename.jpg in the metadata subfolder underneath the season folder.

Based on my test, Kodi will find all the local metadata if its saved like this. All skins appear to honour this. However, it seems that its finding the file as this is where it expects them to be, and not because of the values set in the relevant NFO files

I'm running the latest version of Kodi, so on my system, NFO saver isnt creating the files with the correct names or in the correct locations. Or possibly Kodi is not capable of getting to the files based on the path presented in the NFO file.

Thoughts welcome!

Once again, all that documentation is really outdated.

Kodi/xbmc is since version "frodo" no longer accessing the files directly on the path, you HAVE to scrape it into your library.

This is because of the new image caching system they introduced.

Some images will be auto imported from the nfo file to your database but a whole lot images won't.

From what I recall only the primary thumb/poster and the fanart will be read from the nfo, all the rest is ignored.

You're trying to use Emby as a metadata organizer while it is much more then that.

Emby has a feature to save the metadata in Kodi compatible format but onbly the basic stuff will work. For the more advanced, what you're requesting here you need a scraper in Kodi (the builtin's are pretty good) with artwork downloader/organizer addon OR use the emby addon.

While the old MediaBrowser addon was "just" a video addon to display your content in Kodi, the new one actually scraper all content from Emby server into your Kodi client and keeps it up to sync.

If leaving Emby always on OR putting Emby on your NAS is no option for you, you shouldn't use Emby but just use the builtin scrapers from Kodi.

Hey Luke.

TV Series
----->Season 01
----------->EpisodeS01E01.mkv
----------->EpisodeS01E01-thumb.jpg
----------->EpisodeS01E01.nfo
----------->season.nfo
----->Season 02
----------->EpisodeS02E01.mkv
----------->EpisodeS02E01-thumb.jpg
----------->EpisodeS02E01.nfo
----------->season.nfo
----->season01-poster.jpg
----->season02-poster.jpg
----->folder.jpg
----->tvshow.nfo

Thoughts welcome!

We do save with season01-poster, but if you have a season folder already with a folder.jpg inside, then it will get recognized

feardamhan

Thats interesting. I've tried deleting all the metadata from a tv series. Nothing left but the folder structure and the media itself. When I do a refresh, it regenerates them all, but no season01-poster.jpg in the tv series root, just folder.jpg in the season subfolder. Is it possible I have a setting configured wrong? Can't see anything.

Edited by feardamhan

feardamhan

Install Emby on your NAS.

Mines a WD My Cloud which isnt supported for Emby unless its changed recently.

feardamhan

Of course if I could get the system to save the season01-poster.jpg files instead of the folder.jpg files as Luke suggested it can do, I'd have a solution that's very close to the original solution I was looking for.

Edited by feardamhan

feardamhan

Kodi no longer accesses images on the file name but the images need to be scraped into the library from kodi. This should work fine with the nfo files that are created by the emby server.

Remember that without the addon you won't have shared watch states.

You could best test with the default confluence skin, if that supports it, report back to me so I can fix it in Titan. I remember that not every scenario was covered by the nfo files. In case of missing images you could try the artwork downloader addon, besides download missing artwork it would add your local images to the kodi database.

Again, all this work isn't needed when using the emby addon but indeed, the server needs to be online for that. Why not install emby on your nas?

So I totally get that Kodi needs to scrape images etc 'into' the database and doesnt necessarily therefore display what is on the filesystem in terms of metadata. But it should be possible to leverage all the metadata that does exist when it first scrapes right? So that there is no need to redownload anything (and potentially need to re-correct anything manually done previously to ensure metadata was correct).

Based on what I've seen, the Emby saver places xml and jpg files for episodes in a metadata subfolder. However, when the NFO saver is used, the nfo files are stored with the episodes rather than in the metadata folder. Presumably because this suits Kodi installations better. However....it doesnt change where the episode jpg files are stored. They stay in the metadata folder, even though Kodi would rather that they also be with the episodes, and with the '-thumb' suffix. If the NFO saver were to save episode thumbs in that way, then the two systems would overlap perfectly, since the EMBY XML reader doesnt really care where the files are....as long as they are referenced in the XMLs right? 

Just seems to me to be an opportunity to have the two system perfectly aligned. Emby reads it from the filesystem, and Kodi finds it successfully and scrapes it into its own database. No multi-metadata-downloads ?  :)

xnappo

Yes, that should work.  That said, the addon is much better :D

feardamhan

I get it. Add on is great  ;) . And it is. Just in my env NAS->EMBY->RPi2 is less efficient than NAS->RPi2.

So two things I need to figure out from all this:

1. Why my system doesn't save seasonxx-poster.jpg files, and create folder.jpg instead.

2. How I can get it to save episode thumbs in a different folder with a suffix.

The second sounds like a dev effort..which I've done in the past, but Im not up to speed with current languages. The first though....sounds like either a config issue on my system or a bug, based on Luke's statement that it should be doing it unless the folder.jpg pre-exists.

feardamhan

Sorry for the multiple posts, but I'm finding stuff all the time. 

This post....as little as a 10 day ago seems to suggest that all the files I need were being generated at that time with version 3.0.5588.1

http://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/20728-seasons-nfo-and-xml-not-working-properly-together/

Does that mean the behaviour I'm seeing changed in the latest version?

feardamhan

Ok. So its not the version. I built a VM running ubuntu and emby and all works fine. Filenames exactly as suggested by Luke. Yet its not working on my Windows machine. Its been a rolling upgrade since early MB2. Any chance something is different under the hood as a result? Nothing seems to be different setting wise.

Any ideas where to look?