Long delay opening TV Collection

DarkKniyt (John)
Go to solution Solved by ebr,

The process dump shouldn't be necessary now.  Based on your last tests, I think I found it.

But, I want to back out some of the other things I tried before and get rid of all the excess logging so I'll put out another version in a few minutes that it would be great if you could re-test.

BTW - THANK YOU for all this testing.  It has been extremely helpful.

MrWebsmith

lol.. i didnt do much.. but youre welcome..  happy to retest 280 or whatever when youre ready... i will test both ON/OFF for that custom toggle..

paul777

Interesting find @ebr - although if we had 10 threads trying to make calls and they were getting funnelled down to only allow 2 connections then with 10 threads the maximum number of queued requests should be 8, and with a web request timeout of 30secs that still seems like the server would have to be responding slowly in order for them to reach the timeout.

There is an interesting article here http://blogs.msdn.com/b/jpsanders/archive/2009/05/20/understanding-maxservicepointidletime-and-defaultconnectionlimit.aspx and one comment they make is

"No matter what we do to the code, if you do not do the Close(), those sockets will remain open and a new socket will be created for each request (you will see that in a network trace).  This will also prevent any of the connections in the ServicePoint object from being freed, so no additional requests can be served"

We dispose of the response but don't actually call Close - one would hope Dispose would do it for you but maybe not?

Yeah, it is in a using clause but I can add an explicit close as well to be sure.  That is on the resp object, or the stream object?  Both have a close method.

I added an explicit close to both just to be sure.

Web 281 will be up in a minute.  That should be it.  Thanks.

Web - this also explains why I could never match up the client and server request times.

The ones that were timing out were never actually getting to the server.  They were hanging up on the client side due to this internal limit.

• Like 1

MrWebsmith

ebr et al,

still working well on 281, both view settings... ill do actual sit in front of it usage in about 2 hrs and ill yell if anything isnt ok, but i agree we got it sorted out today..at least the issue i was seeing for some time now

paul777

I added an explicit close to both just to be sure.

Well spotted - I hadn't noticed that we weren't closing/disposing the stream - I believe you do need to do that independently of the request so that is probably good - may be worth checking whether we have a similar pattern elsewhere at all.

solidus28

Outstanding work!  Just upgraded to 281 and for the first time in months, I went in and out of 50+ shows with no delay whatsoever.  I was previously using the custom view and got used to it, but now that I know there's an option to turn it off, I'm going to try that as I think I'd prefer it.  Either way, both views work flawlessly.  I know this one was tough to pinpoint, but thank you so much for sticking with it and figuring it out.  

Just out of curiosity ebr, what is different with your setup that didn't display these symptoms?

georgewill76

Hi Ebr

Just want to say what a great job you have done with the latest update.  I have been monitoring this thread and also had problems with my tv collection.  The speed difference is like night and day.  However, I have one little problem with version 281.  I was using the Xenon theme on version 269, and even through I had speed issues I was able to access my tv collection.  Now that I have upgraded to 283, when I go into tv shows then choose a tv show to view emby crashes on me with a message saying invalid application.  If I reload emby and switch the theme to Chocolate everything works fine.  However, while I have emby open on chocolate theme then go into config and change to xenon theme without closing emby off I can view and enter my tv shows no problem.  It seems I first have to go into tv shows using chocolate theme then once I view one of my tv shows and come back out, change theme to xenon, I can go into tv shows without any problems.

pgriffith

Hi ebr

281 is also working fine for me in both view settings.

Sounds like you learned something along the way.... everyone wins !!!    :P

Any idea when you will implement the changes to the beta channel ?

As I said above I have 3 other people whose setups I "manage", and they have this issue, but not really keen to put them in the dev channel.

Cheers and fantastic work to everyone

dansblackcat

Wow this thread rocketed along.  I was just about to post some logs from .273.

One thing I haven't seen mentioned, has anyone added a new season to an existing series and see if there's a delay?

Mine would work perfectly and I could jump in and out of a series without any delay.  When I added a new season the delay would be back but only for the first time I enter it.

paul777

When you enter a series for the first time it will be doing all of the image caching which may give a delay, although I still wouldn't expect a long delay and the UI should be usable even if the images aren't there.

pgriffith

Not exactly what you suggested dansblackcat.

But I just added a whole new Series and no delay at all in entering it.

Hi Ebr

Just want to say what a great job you have done with the latest update.  I have been monitoring this thread and also had problems with my tv collection.  The speed difference is like night and day.  However, I have one little problem with version 281.  I was using the Xenon theme on version 269, and even through I had speed issues I was able to access my tv collection.  Now that I have upgraded to 283, when I go into tv shows then choose a tv show to view emby crashes on me with a message saying invalid application.  If I reload emby and switch the theme to Chocolate everything works fine.  However, while I have emby open on chocolate theme then go into config and change to xenon theme without closing emby off I can view and enter my tv shows no problem.  It seems I first have to go into tv shows using chocolate theme then once I view one of my tv shows and come back out, change theme to xenon, I can go into tv shows without any problems.

Please find and post the Windows Event Log error.  Thx.

• Solution

Never mind on the event log.  I think I found it.

Please try 282.

• Like 1

olskool

ebr I just wanted to say :D thanx so much!! :D I have been unable to use emby for MC for months now. Emby Theater is nice but I much prefer emby for MC.

I've notice one problem though. When I navigate to a TV show and hit enter the show plays instead of going to the details page for that show. I rarely go there but it's nice to have at times

Again THANX SOOO MUCH!!!

georgewill76

Hi Ebr

Just tested with version 282 and everything working great.  Can get into TV Shows without any problems or application crashing.  Emby is running really fast.  Thanks for all your hard work on this.

paul777

I've notice one problem though. When I navigate to a TV show and hit enter the show plays instead of going to the details page for that show. I rarely go there but it's nice to have at times

I have noticed this behaviour as well - I think it might be down to a miss-handling when auto enter single item is turned on. It has never really bothered me so I haven't looked into it any further.

olskool

Disabled auto enter single item folders and the problem is still there, the show plays instead of going to the details page