"Artist as credited on this track" causes issues

steve1977

steve1977

This is yet again another music-related issue. There are artists on MBZ that are credited differently on a specific album than the artist ID name (for example: artist "Adam and the Ants" is credited as "Adam & the Ants" on the album "Ministry of Sound: Anthems: Alternative 80s". This situation breaks Emby's support for this artist. See screenshots below:

Album link

http://musicbrainz.org/release/b9b13b9c-ec28-48af-ae05-947983f6755c

Evidence for different crediting

5545738c6fd7d_Capture.jpg

Broken support for this artist in Emby given this discrepancy

55457497be888_Capture.jpg

I believe the solution will need to be Emby just using the artist name from the tag rather than parsign MBZ for the artist name. Thoughts?

ginjaninja

im suspecting a root cause of these music challenges is because of EmBY's semi cleverness on how (mbz) matches are used in aggregating and showing content in the views 

Before any more cleverness is added, i would suggest that the artist tag is what it is and is ingested and displayed as such...and any matches of the tag to fetchers are solely for the purposes of images and metadata and  are 'loose' in the sense...that any time... as algorithm/matching improves... the library metadata previously auto fetched against these objects can be auto refreshed. and no aggregation takes place.

A match to a fetcher seems so powerful/entrenched into the functionality of emby, that when its wrong it becomes more of a headache than it should be.

I keep all tags which are the same artist IDENTICAL and would avoid special "credited as"...because we know that similar but not identical tags which are matched to the same fetcher id, causes a headache...

I think i am proposing that MBZ ID is not the primary key for artist content/artist views, rather every unique tag has a unique id.

It would be quite easy to see incorrect tagging, and the users responsibility to fix, safe in the knowledge that emby could reorganise itself effectively against any updated tags.

A separate view which grouped unique artist ids by mbz id could still be instanced if really useful? separating out credited as differences (by virtue of non identical artist tag but still matching to the same mbz id)..but theres quite alot more important things with music to get sorted...not least the library views showing your content so you can play it imo...:-)

• Like 1

steve1977

Fully agree and this would be really great. Would completely fix the issue and leaves it to the right level of complexity. @@Luke, any thoughts?

• 2 weeks later...
steve1977

Anything I can help provide info on? I'll have some time this weekend if helpful. I very much like ginjaninja's recommendation to link the artist name only to the tag and parse MBZ only for posters et al. Please let us know your thoughts.

We don't grab the artist name from MBZ anymore, we only use it to fill in supplemental information, like an overview, images, etc.

It solves this

Emby just using the artist name from the tag rather than parsign MBZ for the artist name.

Therefore, the rest needs to be reevaluated from the beginning, using brand new music as sample data.

steve1977

Got it. Let me re-add the album from my first post tonight and see whether it picks it up correctly now.

When I added the album initially (two weeks ago?), the album artist name in the "\AppData\Roaming\MediaBrowser-Server\ImagesByName\artists\" folder was taken from MBZ (i.e., the folder name where the posters are stored were from MBZ and not from the tag). So, let me see whether this is different now.

Thanks!

steve1977

Can I send you a sample file with this issue. Tried with a new music album, and the issue remains for songs where the "credited artist" is different from the "artist". I have no clue where Emby has the original "artist name" from as the tag only includes the credited "artist tag". @@Luke, can I send you a sample music file?

I tested your sample file - no problem found. When I clicked on Album Artists I saw the name of the album artist. Clicked that saw the album and song. Then I clicked Aritsts, saw both the album artist and song artist Obel listed. I was able to click either one and see the album and song listed.

For reference, I used a directory structure of music\artist\album\track

steve1977

This is really weird. I am on Version 3.0.5607.2. You running a later version and anythign changed since? I I believe I have the same folder structure. Track is the actual track and the last folder is album, right?

It is really weird. Album.nfo shows Obel, also C:\Users\user\AppData\Roaming\MediaBrowser-Server\ImagesByName\artists\Obél.

However, when selecting the album, it shows Agnes Obel as the artist. I have absolutely no idea as you say that it is not parsing MBZ for this info and it actually works for you?

Maybe related to http://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/20952-recreating-albumnfo-artist-posters-and-album-posters/? Any idea how I fully wipe the memory? Wipe out the complete user folder?

steve1977

Screenshot below. Very very weird. The album track list shows Agnes Obel, but when playing the song, it shows Obel. And only Agnes Obel shows in artist view, which is not linked to any albums or songs.

5557f4097629e_Obel.jpg

ginjaninja

edit your artist agnes obel in web client and review the three places that reflect a name...

• at the top
  • the field 'name:'
  • and the field 'sort name:'

...perhaps one of these is 'Obe(acute)l'

then as you say its a matter of hunting down where it is stored.

to my mind the master reference for run time functionality  should all be in the same place (database + ibn) ...and any media folder metadata is a syncronised from the master reference as an afterthought...currently i think the media folder metadata and ibn/artists are both involved ...

if you search ibn and media folders for 'Obe(acute)l' .. and look under all the fields in the artist view on web client you should find it..

Edited by ginjaninja

steve1977

edit your artist agnes obel in web client and review the three places that reflect a name...

• at the top
  • the field 'name:'
  • and the field 'sort name:'

...perhaps one of these is 'Obe(acute)l'

then as you say its a matter of hunting down where it is stored.

to my mind the master reference for run time functionality  should all be in the same place (database + ibn) ...and any media folder metadata is a syncronised from the master reference as an afterthought...currently i think the media folder metadata and ibn/artists are both involved ...

if you search ibn and media folders for 'Obe(acute)l' .. and look under all the fields in the artist view on web client you should find it..

Thanks a lot. When editing the falsely stored "Agnes Obel", field name and "on-top" both read Agnes Obel, the sort name is empty.

Ibn has "Obe(acute)l" and that's also in the album.nfo. I cannot find it in the artist view and also not in the album view though (check my screenshots). No idea where the record for "Agnes Obel" is stored, but this record is killing everything I somehow need to wipe out this record. Removing and readding the music library was not sufficient. Any other ideas? I believe this may be related to this issue (http://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/20952-recreating-albumnfo-artist-posters-and-album-posters/).

ginjaninja

looking at 

https://musicbrainz.org/work/89656fc4-3558-35d8-bca0-b413238497be

https://musicbrainz.org/artist/e3c4c4af-f83b-4168-84cb-898009dd0447/aliases

it seems clear that the primary name is Agnes Obel

with an alias Obél

as discussed elsewhere it might be nice to have tracks tagged as intended for the particular track (ie use the aliases).

However this (dissimilar tags matched to the same mbz id) causes emby a problem...<- not confirmed by luke, but im pretty sure is the case..

so for now i think you have to accept that all tags must be of  'the primary name' (or at least identical)

use mp3tag (or similar) to filter on obel and 'Obe(acute)l' to see how many potential/likely sources of mismatching there are. <-make a note if there are any artists with similar names which should not be matched as agnes obel but may have been (might help further troubleshooting?)

Ensure every tag (albumartist/artist/even composer to be sure although i dont think its relevant) that needs to be Agnes Obel is 'Agnes Obel'

clear out / refresh any related (all variations of the troublesome name) artist/album nfo/xml in media folders and ibn...and rescan...

to my mind in terms of user feedback..i do sympathise..

for a baseline requirement,  what shows  in the webclient as the artist against a track should be the artist mp3 tag*.

If the song does not have that artist (written as per the view against the track in the dashboard) as the artist mp3 tag, then theres an 'opportunity' for improvement for emby imo.

Now..like how mbz works in the view above...if clicking on a hyper link of Obél takes you to a view of Agnes Obel (with Obél as an alias), showing all content for Agnes and her? aliases... all well and good (well better than ok, that i guess would be the best of all worlds especially with the stretched goal of separating out the different 'credited as content' as discussed before)

*i dont think i see the value in a meta layer, which might allow the user to edit/present mp3tags as alternative names in the library......shouldnt there just be a 1-1 direct relationship....ie whats in the tag is what shows in the webclient..at least until without issue all content shows up in the library as per the tags eg. 'content for artist (as stored in tag)' and 'artist of track (as stored in tag)'?

steve1977

@@ginjaninja, understand what you say, but this is conflict with what Luke is saying below?

We don't grab the artist name from MBZ anymore, we only use it to fill in supplemental information, like an overview, images, etc.

steve1977

Also, Luke actually tried my file (with alias) and he did not have the same issue, So, the issue must be that the "old" wrong artist name is still somehow inconsistently saved within Emby, I am not sure what files I would need to delete to wipe all memory. I would like to avoid a complete fresh-install as I don't want to parse again all my movies and tvshows.

ginjaninja

seems so (not that i fully understand the impact)..but i think luke say also that 'past sins wont be forgiven', and it wouldnt surprise me if nfos/xmls either in media folders/ibn could override/take precendence over tags in relation to what is shown in dashboard.

doesnt your feedback confirm that something is taking precedence over the tags when it comes to webclient views?

Is the artist and album artist tag identical for the track in screenshot..which one is right..ie same as tag (now playing bar..or tracklist)

steve1977

Fully agree with your assessment. There is a sin, which I cannot wipe out.

Unfortunately, it is not the nfo, tag or ibn. All of these were deleted and now are correct.

No clue where else this "sin" could reside and what else I can delete. I even wiped out the whole cache folder without success.

ginjaninja

there is also another non nuclear option....

you can use sql lite manager 

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/sqlite-manager/

to search for all instances of both names in the database, this should have a very good chance to  highlight where the problem is..

Screenshot%202015-05-18%2016.38.40.png

save the searched for/found blobs as text on your desktop to see the full info eg. media file path file/name.

Edited by ginjaninja

ginjaninja

thought you were trying to avoid nuclear options...:-)

alot of the critical stuff (config/watched i think/users...) are not stored in library db..but DONT take my word for it..

you could try renaming .old and rebuilding....but i cant be 100% certain that reinstating will result in 0 loss (if the rebuild does loose something important)...you have to be pretty unlucky i  guess...so perhaps (on your head be it) worth a try..

there is a very high probability imo  that something in an xml/nfo is informing the library (re)build and the issue  will return..but in the absence of other ideas its worth a try after the database search is checked first id suggest.

steve1977

I had already deleted the nfo files and ibn, so this issue should not return. So, let me give it a try. Actually, this is not fully destructive. I assume this would allow to keep all my collection posters, config settings, plugins, etc. Hope that deleting though will allow a resan of the library to add back all data. Let me try and keep you posted.

Vicpa

Hi,

FYI, I went similar route this am. Deleted library, refreshinfo-  dbs, Music nfo's , artists ibn and metadata library folder (there are a bunch of guids with album covers in there. oh and the cache. Three hours went by and everything seemed to come back, except manually created collections (even though they were created via the web browser). Custom Sort order on Music genre's was gone as well.

Still checking if an improvement can be discerned.