Collection Metadata

Nick's MCE

MndWrp

Collections have all the same potential attributes as an individual movie.

Could they eventually have things like extras and trailers?

Could they eventually have things like extras and trailers?

Potentially, yes.  The biggest challenge is making sure the app interfaces are designed in such a way that you can access them.

MndWrp

Potentially, yes. The biggest challenge is making sure the app interfaces are designed in such a way that you can access them.

Nice!

Nick's MCE

Hi all

Lot's of good info, I now fully understand the functionality and potential of the new set-up. I hope that my current folder structure remains supported as the task of collapsing my whole collection and moving all my artwork is enormous. It would also mean that all my art would need to be in a different place than my the art in my regular movie folders. 

I also have my movies sorted in specific folders, see the screen shot. I have every folder category backed up in a second folder on a separate machine as well, in order to protect against any loss, it's an exact duplicate set of folders. Backing up the collection art would then be difficult considering that my main collection art would be in the auto-generated folders in appdata.

The other thing is often I copy stuff to lend or take away on hold, if I collapse the boxsets then this becomes more arduous. I have also spent some real time on the collection covers, see screenshot, each boxset displays all the disc from the movies in the set. Just not sure I can get myself to dump 170 collection covers not to mention renaming the original posters so they are picked up by the Emby.

In short I am going to stay as I am and hope that Emby doesn't stop supporting my current folders and set-up.

Later 

Nick5544f6e2563af_Screenshot20150502190246.p5544f6fcab056_Screenshot20150502190302.p

Deathsquirrel

I recall Luke saying that they had no plans to drop the support.  But it's also been pointed out that this isn't really being actively developed or tested.  It could absolutely be broken in a future update by accident or oversight.  I suggest anyone take the current support level as an opportunity to transition at a comfortable pace instead of a DO IT NOW that would have caome from them removing the support on purpose.

One2Go

From the various posts in different threads here I get the impression people want to get a frontend for their media servers, not adopting their media servers to a front end by making changes to an existing structure that had worked in a previous version. I also get the impression that if there are changes to be made some of us including myself will look into the possibility of adopting a different platform and then switching to it. The idea of including a KODI structure to work with EMBY sort of hints at that as a larger pool of users is being sought after. I do not have the conviction and warm fuzzy feeling that I had with MB2, nor do I discount the advantages that PLEX pr KODI may have.

For me this is further complicated by the appearance of different themes that look very promising and then sort of never reach their full potential because of whatever happens in real life to their creator.

Edited by One2Go

Nothing about collections has been taken away. You can still organize your movies that way and you still get the nice metadata. And it's not going to be taken away. But as we add new features we may not necessarily go back and add them to the older style collections due to the degree of difficulty. That is really the only thing. If anybody said folder-based collections were no longer supported then they were wrong.

• Like 2

GhostRider

Great to here from Luke that [boxset] folder structure will not be taken away.

I appreciate that the [boxset] format is not the preferred method but any chance of fixing the bug that I reported a while back when [boxset] format was the documented method? With input from ebr I was able to confirm that the Windows Media Centre client was not picking up the collections tab as the server was not sending the information to the client when using [boxset] folder structure.

Like some of the thoughts expressed in this thread I also prefer to store my boxset art work in a normal folder with the movies in sub-folders rather than in a separate hidden folder under appdata. I create art work for missing items so cannot be using hidden folders.

I can also see how it would be difficult for the web interface to create such a file structure as it would have to move the individual movie folders around.

I am happy that [boxset] support is not going away, I would be even happier if the bug with WMC client could be fixed please as I use WMC client in legacy mode.

Edited by GhostRider

Web client images for collections using [boxset] do not show up though, so it appears that it's the beginning of the end for support.

It works, but if it's not going to be supported going forward, I can only assume it will stop working for other clients at some point also.