[Q] Where would I get started with playlists? (Binge Option/Dynamic Playlist Creation)

futurepr0n

futurepr0n

Hi emby community!

I was interested in trying my hand at some contributions, and was wondering if someone could help me get started on the right track.

The idea I have is sort of like this: While consuming content, executing a keypress (remote button) 2x would bring up a prompt with some playlist options; such as 'Continue Series', 'Continue Genre', etc etc..

The way I see this playing out is that it would just be some easy programming and logic but I'd like to try playing around and testing it out and need to know what I need to get from the github in order to begin? The Server of course, and which client would be best to begin testing this with?

I would like to start with TV shows, but I think that it would be neat and could easily be ported across movies, and music. The way I think it would work is by querying the media db and building the playlist on the fly. I am going on the assumption that when you select a tv show right now the playlist has only one entry, if my option was selected then it would run a routine to populate the playlist based on the selection.

First features:

• 'Continue Series' - queries your currently playing series, and appends the playlist adding all episodes of the series that come after the current episode. (Maybe an option for Continue All / Continue Unwatched as an eventual secondary option)
  • 'Continue Genre' - queries the currently playing series for 'Genre' and dynamically builds a playlist based on that genre. (Eventually perhaps a shuffle/sequential option, maybe unwatched or include watched)
  • 'Continue Unwatched' - builds a playlist off of your unwatched and continues in order of date added or something of that like.
  • 'Shuffle' - Builds a playlist on the fly of random TV shows (unless maybe specified for unwatched, recently aired, recently added.

I think it would add to the experience of watching your stuff, and could have neat implementations for movie marathons and building music playlists on the fly. What do you think?

In what app?

This needs to be a feature on the app end.  Some of them already have such functionality but not all of them.

futurepr0n

So I wasn't able to find any such feature in the wiki - can you let me know where the feature is lacking (i.e. which apps so I can try and lend hand to add the feature there) and/or also where it is already implemented so I can peer at that code as a starting point?

I didn't see this as a feature in the android app, or the webapp. How is it presently implemented?

I can not thank you developers enough for the work you've already done and for having such an awesome and open approach with those who use it or wish to contribute.

Edited by futurepr0n