Can we chat about NUCs,Brix, Linux, and EMBY?

Marc_G

Marc_G

Hi folks,

I'm feeling restless, and kind of want to buy a NUC or something similar to play with. I'd like to have a tiny little PC, and use it to learn more about Linux, beyond some poking around I've done in VirtualBox builds.  I've played with straight Ubuntu, Linux Mint, and Xubuntu.

One of the things I'd do on it is use it as a small EMBY client. Not because I have to, but it would be fun. This would be done via the Kodi client, right?

I came close to buying one of the recent crop of Intel NUC variants, but apparently at least some of them don't work well headless... I can see this NUC possibly being decapitated at some point and managed remotely.

Then I read up on some of the BRIX and similar boxes... but it didn't seem like the specs were as competitive.

So I figured I'd go to the most knowledgeable group of folks I know for some insight. I'd love to hear what small form factor NUC, BRIX, BXI, etc. things you've got, and from a theater perspective what you like and dislike about them, how you've set them up, which Linux variant you like...

I don't need a powerful machine, really I'm looking for a playground more than anything.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts you've got.

Marc

Marc_G

Wow. No NUCers? I'd actually be interested to opening up the conversation to any small forma factor computer / any variant of Linux...

thefirstofthe300

I personally haven't looked at using a NUC but I know that the guy who does the Jupiter Broadcasting podcasts uses a NUC for his home server currently (sadly he is a Plex guy but it works for him).

If you want to LEARN Linux and not just putz around with it, I would definitely suggest using Arch Linux as it forces you to do most things yourself. I learned so much from just installing Arch.

• Like 1

Marc_G

Arch Linux is a good idea. I'll probably start with something less intimidating, then wipe and try out Arch. This NUC or whatever I get will be a sandbox I can wipe and refresh without taking down any of my home's "production" machines.

Marc

NWGiles

I have 2 NUC in my home system, 

An i5 and a celeron,

Both are plugged into non smart tv's, I use my WMC remote on theatre and I have everything I need there.

Both run win 8.1, with 8gb ram and 60gb SSD. fully off to theatre loaded in 7 seconds.

and i can just grab the logitech lounge keyboard and go surfing

xnappo

I love my NUC - Running OpenElec here!  Great value.  I bought the cheapest one available 1.5 years ago and it was a great purchase.

• Like 1

Marc_G

Thanks guys.

I just pulled the trigger and bought an Intel NUC D54250WKYH. It will have 8 GB RAM and a ~256 GB mSATA drive. I got the H version of the NUC box so there would be room for an additional (2.5") drive if I ever want to put one in.

I bought the i5 variant because I have a few ideas of what I might do with the NUC, some of which might need more processor than others. This way, I'm in a pretty flexible place and can do pretty much anything with it.  I'm looking forward to exploring several variants of Linux with it... I doubt I will ever install Windows on the thing. It will be my first non-Windows PC (not counting Android tablets and the like) in 20 years.

Marc

• Like 1