Win 8.1 OS

Cheesegeezer

Cheesegeezer

I was actually an official beta tester for Microsoft for Win7 and got my Signature Edition on release day.  When I saw the preview for Win8 I declined the invite for beta testing as it was something that didn't look like I would get along with it.  In hind sight I wish I had, would have saved me moaning about the price :lol:

@@Luke I also noticed how quick it was on my install and even the driver support was very good and quick to adjust my screen and audio.  

Maybe I should give it another go, bite the bullet and get the pro version and WMC.... and see how it fairs up in the real world of MB 

swhitmore

whats your bizspark?

Sorry, that was a typo. I meant to say check out Bizspark. It's a Microsoft initiative they setup to help start ups. Users get a free MSDN account for 3 years. You get access to nearly every Microsoft software for free.

http://www.microsoft.com/bizspark/

Cheesegeezer

I'm waiting for mine to come thru..... lets hope they let me have one :)

johnchimpo

As it turned out, in fact I hate the Start button (and all of these nested and nested and nested menus) and the hell of a icons on the Desktop. So I started my necessary buttons from the Tray and on the desktop are Gadgets and a couple of icons, such as Recicle Bin. The concept of the Start Window reminds me of that oldy, almost-forgotten Active Desktop plus Gadgets/Widgets.

And now the screen is not cluttered with non-informative icons, whose appointment only starting a program. And yes, I still use a desktop part (but it's mainly that most programs still arranged for the Desktop). And yes, I'm still confused in the new interface used to it, but it's a matter of time. Delivered to me, in general, the conveniences outweigh the disadvantages.

And at the all, Darwin's primat was quite comfortable to pluck bananas sitting on a tree, but he/she got off and started throwing sticks to knock the bananas from the same tree. And what it led to: we sit at computers and ardently discussing this same process wich is slightly disguised by screens and keyboards.

I almost never use the "nested folders" aspect of the start menu. I hit the Win button on my keyboard and type what I want. Running Start8 ($10) gives me everything I need for Win8 to do that it doesn't by default (i.e. be a desktop) and I still get the benefit of all those Win store apps and games which will sync up with my Surface when I get it soon!

Cheesegeezer

Running Start8 ($10) gives me everything I need for Win8 to do that it doesn't by default (i.e. be a desktop)

So another 6 quid to make it more useful! :o.

Sorry for my sarcasm, the info you posted is good and i would buy it if it made the system more usable for me. But M$ is making this a license to print money and that makes my blood boil!!

trooper11

So another 6 quid to make it more useful! :o.

Sorry for my sarcasm, the info you posted is good and i would buy it if it made the system more usable for me. But M$ is making this a license to print money and that makes my blood boil!!

Not that I disagree, but this is not new to windows.  There are have been paid apps that brought back some previous method for using the system for years. 

I guess the difference now is that its affecting more people then previously. 

• Like 1

Cheesegeezer

Not that I disagree, but this is not new to windows. There are have been paid apps that brought back some previous method for using the system for years.

I guess the difference now is that its affecting more people then previously.

Such as..........

trooper11

Such as..........

Well one that comes to mind that has been around for a LONG time is WindowBlinds from Stardock.  The current version supports 7 and 8, but I remember it back as far as the xp days. 

There are others though.

So for those that upgraded from 8.0 to 8.1, did you have any problems? Did you have to reinstall anything? Have been putting off the upgrade for a while because I don't want to have to reinstall things and set them back up again. Just wondered what others have experienced. Thanks.

Upgrading from 8 to 8.1 should be possible via an update in the Store, depending on which version of W8 you have.

Yeah it is available there. Just was worried it would delete things and I'd have to re-install all my programs.

going from 8.0 to 8.1 is essentially a re-install of the OS. I thought it would be more like a service pack, but it downloads the full 3.6GB image of the OS and installs, but preserves files, installed apps, and most system settings.

Thanks. I figured it would be like a service pack too, guess not. But as long as it preserves all the files and install programs it should be fine. I'm assuming when you say apps you mean desktop apps and not the windows app store ones.

CBers

Yeah it is available there. Just was worried it would delete things and I'd have to re-install all my programs.

I tried it twice at the weekend, failing both times, but it rolled everything back to 8.0 OK.

It failed due to an incompatible NIC driver being installed.

Haven't had time to try again.

it preserves both. there some clickonce apps i had installed that were no longer available though, but other than that it was fine.

Cool. That is good to hear Luke. Just a pain to have to reinstall the desktop apps. I really don't care about the windows store ones.

going from 8.0 to 8.1 is essentially a re-install of the OS. I thought it would be more like a service pack, but it downloads the full 3.6GB image of the OS and installs, but preserves files, installed apps, and most system settings.

CBers

Upgrading from 8 to 8.1 should be possible via an update in the Store, depending on which version of W8 you have.

johnchimpo

So for those that upgraded from 8.0 to 8.1, did you have any problems? Did you have to reinstall anything? Have been putting off the upgrade for a while because I don't want to have to reinstall things and set them back up again. Just wondered what others have experienced. Thanks.

The upgrade process took even longer than a clean retail install of Win 8.1, so it does seem they're essentially starting from scratch.

I tried it twice at the weekend, failing both times, but it rolled everything back to 8.0 OK.

It failed due to an incompatible NIC driver being installed.

Haven't had time to try again.

I've had this problem with windows driver updates before - it would give me the BSOD anytime I updated certain drivers. Once I learned which ones not to update and restored it stopped crashing on me.

Cheesegeezer

Well one that comes to mind that has been around for a LONG time is WindowBlinds from Stardock.  The current version supports 7 and 8, but I remember it back as far as the xp days. 

There are others though.

But they are visual enhancements not core functionality improvements