Win 8.1 OS

Cheesegeezer

Deihmos

I much prefer Windows 8 to Windows 7 and it is much better for an HTPC. There are a few Win 8 apps that are really good for an HTPC like Vevo and the Netflix app. The Netflix app in WMC is dead. WIn 8 is much faster and if you don't even need to see the metro interface if you don't want to.

• Like 1

Cheesegeezer

I, however, am far from the standard user.

So true, in so many ways :lol:;)

jayTcold

52863555d78cb_Screenshot.pngI'm diggin' Windows 8 on my Samsung 13" ultrabook.

I use Stardock's Start8 to add a start button and a start menu.

I also use Stardocks ModernMix to run ModernUI apps in desktop mode. They respond pretty well to keyboard and mouse inputs.

Edited by jayTcold
  • Like 1

shaefurr

OT: im curious how the Steam OS will be, the ability to have PC games installed on my server and streamed to the HTPC is interesting. I'm not sure if it'll work well or if i'll like it, but it seems like a neat idea.

I've only used Linux here and there and would normally never use it as my main OS, mainly because im such a PC gamer, but a free Gaming OS made for TVs, hmm., I'm already streaming movies and TV to my HTPC, If it worked with games + MB that would be neat.

Edited by shaefurr

WWWestern

As it turned out, in fact I hate the Start button (and all of these nested and nested and nested menus) and the hell of a icons on the Desktop. So I started my necessary buttons from the Tray and on the desktop are Gadgets and a couple of icons, such as Recicle Bin. The concept of the Start Window reminds me of that oldy, almost-forgotten Active Desktop plus Gadgets/Widgets.

And now the screen is not cluttered with non-informative icons, whose appointment only starting a program. And yes, I still use a desktop part (but it's mainly that most programs still arranged for the Desktop). And yes, I'm still confused in the new interface used to it, but it's a matter of time. Delivered to me, in general, the conveniences outweigh the disadvantages.

And at the all, Darwin's primat was quite comfortable to pluck bananas sitting on a tree, but he/she got off and started throwing sticks to knock the bananas from the same tree. And what it led to: we sit at computers and ardently discussing this same process wich is slightly disguised by screens and keyboards.

LOL WWW.

For the average user, I can certainly see the appeal of the start screen and I do like it a lot on the tablet.  For my workstation, though, I never see the desktop nor a start screen and don't want to give away that much real estate to the item that will launch my programs.

I have four large monitors that are always 100% covered with open windows for things upon which I am working and I have a small icon dock at the top of the main one for all my program and fast document launching.

Of course, that is not typical but since I usually have 6-8 copies of VS plus Github, plus an image editor, plus WMC all going at once - it is how I work :).

Cheesegeezer

I thought about going to 8.1, but looks like you guys convinced me not to. :)

Don't let this put you off, I think you have to think about how you would use windows 8.  There are some very good points if used solely as a HTPC interface or non frequent user, the metro interface is perfect for this (I believe it accepts remote control commands also - keyboard shortcuts mapped to a programmable remote).  There are a lot of power users in this discussion and I would say that if you are a power user, developer of any kind, whether it be programming, video editing, web designer, etc then I can see this OS being a bit of a pain.

So would you say that the primary issue for you is the start screen or is it a list of issues that keep you from using the desktop side as you would in 7?

I think that's the part I'm trying to understand.  I'm a power user, but not to your extent, so there are obviously grades of 'power user' :lol:

I don't like the basic interface and would be constantly trying to find a way to work differently within it.  However, the primary reason I don't upgrade my main workstation is there is no compelling reason for me to.

It would cost me $200 (I need the OS and WMC) and cause me these other headaches.  What I have now works perfectly for what I do.

My MB Server is running Win 8 though as I don't interface with that machine much at all.  It stays in the desktop and, apart from me thinking the windows look "ugly" it is fine.

• Like 1

trooper11

LOL WWW.

For the average user, I can certainly see the appeal of the start screen and I do like it a lot on the tablet.  For my workstation, though, I never see the desktop nor a start screen and don't want to give away that much real estate to the item that will launch my programs.

I have four large monitors that are always 100% covered with open windows for things upon which I am working and I have a small icon dock at the top of the main one for all my program and fast document launching.

Of course, that is not typical but since I usually have 6-8 copies of VS plus Github, plus an image editor, plus WMC all going at once - it is how I work :).

So would you say that the primary issue for you is the start screen or is it a list of issues that keep you from using the desktop side as you would in 7?

I think that's the part I'm trying to understand.  I'm a power user, but not to your extent, so there are obviously grades of 'power user' :lol:

CBers

Don't let this put you off, I think you have to think about how you would use windows 8.

I may have to upgrade one of my PCs, probably my main office one, to Windows 8 as so many people in the family are buying PCs and laptops/tablets with Windows 8 on and I keep getting asked questions, seeing as I'm the "person-to-go-to" for IT in the family :rolleyes:

Or, perhaps I shouldn't and they might go elsewhere ;)

Edited by CBers
  • Like 1

trooper11

I don't like the basic interface and would be constantly trying to find a way to work differently within it.  However, the primary reason I don't upgrade my main workstation is there is no compelling reason for me to.

It would cost me $200 (I need the OS and WMC) and cause me these other headaches.  What I have now works perfectly for what I do.

My MB Server is running Win 8 though as I don't interface with that machine much at all.  It stays in the desktop and, apart from me thinking the windows look "ugly" it is fine.

That makes sense.  I would feel the same way under those circumstances.

It made it easier on me that I got a bunch of licenses during that upgrade deal.  So instead of thinking about a $200 upgrade, I got several at $29 a piece.

Cheesegeezer

Once again wmc costs 10?, how is it fair to compare a low edition of 7 to a high edition of 8?

Yes agreed it costs $10 if you have Win 8.1 Pro installed.... Cost of Win 8.1 Pro is ~$180 plus your 10 bucks for WMC.  Win7 Ultimate is ~$170 and includes WMC.  

The point is you can get Win7 Home Premium and still have WMC included.   It's only a microsoft application and doesn't rely on any of the extra features Win 8.1 Pro includes with it. So why not just allow any version of Win 8.1 to download WMC.

Think about the forum this is being discussed in (MediaBrowser)... What is currently the only client available for MBServer other that the mobile clients..... MBC which requires WMC to function.

dylanrellis

good point about wmc on any edition of 8. just occurred to me tho, wmc isn't available on several low end editions of 7 and theres only 2 editions of 8. its not like anyone uses anything other than ultimate or home premium editions of windows 7 so theres no reason to turn into a cheapskate when it comes to windows 8.

good point about wmc on any edition of 8. just occurred to me tho, wmc isn't available on several low end editions of 7 and theres only 2 editions of 8. its not like anyone uses anything other than ultimate or home premium editions of windows 7 so theres no reason to turn into a cheapskate when it comes to windows 8.

Win 7 costs me $0 because I already own it.  Win 8/8.1 costs me $190.

That is the true economic equation so there has to be some compelling reason for me to do it.  And, for my purposes on my workstation, not only isn't there a compelling reason, there are some for me not to.  No brainer in that situation.

When building my new machine as server, I did go with 8 because that was a completely different situation.

Many people with current HTPCs would be in the same boat as I with my workstation.  They'll need some compelling reason to make the switch.

Deihmos

Everyone should have bought win 8 during the promotion and microsoft gave media center for free. Win 8 only cost me 14.95 and included wmc. Why didn't everyone jump on that promotion? I made sure I got about 4 license for wmc free.

Edited by Deihmos
  • Like 2

dylanrellis

windows 7 didn't cost you $0 and for that matter why did you move from xp/vista? every new version of windows suffers the same opening threats then everyone's all over it. why not accept that the next version of windows is better like it always is.

I've already pointed out why it isnt better for me on my workstation. Do you get a commission from ms or something? ;)

dylanrellis

it may or may not be better for your workstation but I was responding to your comments on cost. same can be said for all the bashing, im only defending after the hate. do you guys get paid to hate on every new windows or something

Edited by dylanrellis

shaefurr

Every OS is subject to opinion. Plenty of people out there still use xp. Its why the pc market is so nice because users have so much control over what they use hardware and software wise.