NVIDIA Shield Android TV

above1

exoplayer is very similar to the native player. it is an open source project from google, and it's used by the youtube app and other google apps.

dark_slayer

Branching playback methods and providing a settings option is what I thought had happened. It's funny to finally be in a precarious position where using the native player would actually be a benefit. Other players are bound to implement it soon anyway. MX will probably be first, followed by Kodi then other random apps and vlc.

• Like 1

PhinkBig

Branching playback methods and providing a settings option is what I thought had happened. It's funny to finally be in a precarious position where using the native player would actually be a benefit. Other players are bound to implement it soon anyway. MX will probably be first, followed by Kodi then other random apps and vlc.

I believe that nVidia specifically mentioned MX Player as working on the HD audio feature support. 

bret1958

Well a shield happened to show up at my door today.. upgraded it to 2.0 firmware... loaded Kodi with Emby ...its passing through DTS whatever .. so i will shut up and use it :) when Emby Theater public release arrives I will be totally ...happy... but for now the HTPC goes silent.

I assume the scenario will be guests use the Shield... and I will get to enjoy Emby Theater with a cleaner experience with the full passthrough when I use the House Theater.. I assume it will be 6 months so for me the issue is closed and I can focus on something different :) like drywall and paint... and other projects....

• Like 1

Pirlo1966

Well a shield happened to show up at my door today.. upgraded it to 2.0 firmware... loaded Kodi with Emby ...its passing through DTS whatever .. so i will shut up and use it :) when Emby Theater public release arrives I will be totally ...happy... but for now the HTPC goes silent.

I assume the scenario will be guests use the Shield... and I will get to enjoy Emby Theater with a cleaner experience with the full passthrough when I use the House Theater.. I assume it will be 6 months so for me the issue is closed and I can focus on something different :) like drywall and paint... and other projects....

I'm off to get mine. Bye bye HTPC.

crystalgipsy

I have just gone and ordered a Shield as getting frustrated with the FTV. With the new 2.0 update does Emby support the frame rate switching or will that come in a later release?

bret1958

I have just gone and ordered a Shield as getting frustrated with the FTV. With the new 2.0 update does Emby support the frame rate switching or will that come in a later release?

not auto per program that I can see, but lets you choose..for global setup guess it will be manual back and forth for now, i had it 29....what ever..for movies and it made the tv service look horrible had to change it back to 60 but at least I have the option. I have hd homerun which has been working with Nvidia as well as Kodi.. Kodi is the player that passes through..  MX player  is suppose to work with the hardware on usb storage or nas drives but my set up is not that way.

Emby is working as a addon to Kodi ...  Emby standalone is PCM

After playing with it last night I am Impressed. ( but i still wait for Emby Theater )

The player is impressive and solid,  even for an old timer like me.. the games are impressive and enough worked that lets me say OK enough for now.

Amazon gave me a $24 credit on the fire tv so for $75 i will probably will put it on a dumb TV in one of the guest bedrooms. One more hd home run box and I will be down to 1 cable box. will be running with 6 tuners then for a $4 access charge. vs $56

MR amazon must be hiding under covers as they sure messed up the FireTV debut.... (BTW they pulled it)  I think in the long term FireTV will be an ok box but NVidia has produced a box that shines, and are working hard with partners to give techies what they want.

Edited by bret1958
  • Like 1

bret1958

I have a question... pass-though on a HTPC is done through a rather cheap video card, is it the OS that is hindering audio from taking the next leap on these devices.

Seems like a common theme, Nvidia struggles to get it working (even though they are the Video card King), Amazon getting completely panned over it..

Is it really Google that should be taking the heat or the app devs ?

Or is just that everyone is just running with the tide and catering to the masses with a sound bar not anticipating the demand for these critters to be used in a more detailed environment.

Pirlo1966

Great emby app for adroid tv. Greta expereicne on a shield console. But I have an annoying little issue: seems that movie playback through emby app (vlc player) on NVIDIA shield console does not respect prefered subtitle track as specified for each user on emby server.

Edited by ehgeahrev

Pirlo1966

Is it possible to wake on lan a synology nas from the nvidia shield console?

EDIT: never mind.  a simple app form play store does the trick.

EDIT 2: apparently there are limited apps in the play store for the shield console. Couldn't find any WOL app.

Edited by ehgeahrev

Great emby app for adroid tv. Greta expereicne on a shield console. But I have an annoying little issue: seems that movie playback through emby app (vlc player) on NVIDIA shield console does not respect prefered subtitle track as specified for each user on emby server.

Can you give some specific examples?  Because it should.

Pirlo1966

Can you give some specific examples?  Because it should.

Tried randomly a few movies yesterday. All MKV's with embedded subtitles. As far as I experienced it, only one movie started with my prefered subtitle track (nld or dut)! For all other movies I needed to manually select a subtitle track. The default selection was set to none.

EDIT: Since I prefer original audio tracks (no preference specified and play default audio track is not checked) but wish for a local subtitle track I probably need to set subtitles to "Always play subtitle". Will test it.

EDIT 2: Indeed. Always play subs it is.

Edited by ehgeahrev

• 1 month later...
ice pube

I just upgraded today from a nexus player. Has there been any movement to include a refresh rate setting? I know ebr a while back said Android doesn't work that well, but since the shield has refresh rate changing could you include this? I see both kodi and plex have this options, but I really love the ATV interface. 

twitchstick

I'm running Emby with Kodi and it keeps on performing full sync all the time. I think this is affecting my playback since every movie I play off my server just randomly stops.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

dark_slayer

I'm running Emby with Kodi and it keeps on performing full sync all the time. I think this is affecting my playback since every movie I play off my server just randomly stops.

Jarvis or Isengard??

dark_slayer

Isengard

Best to start a new thread with logs in the Kodi support section. A quick direct playback test with just Kodi should rule out network issues (videos-add videos-stroll through network-find your share-add a folder -> set content from movies to none so it doesn't take forever scraping metadata then go into the new collection from homescreen-videos and play one of them.)

It seems more like your issue is with networking than kodi or Emby. Are your shares password protected?

Best to test direct playback like mentioned above to rule out network and start a new thread over in the app support-kodi area

twitchstick

Best to start a new thread with logs in the Kodi support section. A quick direct playback test with just Kodi should rule out network issues (videos-add videos-stroll through network-find your share-add a folder -> set content from movies to none so it doesn't take forever scraping metadata then go into the new collection from homescreen-videos and play one of them.)

It seems more like your issue is with networking than kodi or Emby. Are your shares password protected?

Best to test direct playback like mentioned above to rule out network and start a new thread over in the app support-kodi area

I think you might be right about the network issue. I don't know what it could be. Everything is connected into a gigabit switch and I already changed cables just to rule that out. It's just strange that the HTPC isn't having a network problem but this is.

dark_slayer

I think you might be right about the network issue. I don't know what it could be. Everything is connected into a gigabit switch and I already changed cables just to rule that out. It's just strange that the HTPC isn't having a network problem but this is.

Not totally sure either. As much as kodi attempts to be multi platform there are pieces that can't be. I'm not totally sure how they implement nfs/smb/etc but Android smb may not match with whichever version unraid was using at the time of whichever release you are running. Probably authentication issues. Just some guided guessing, but glad you got it sorted

twitchstick

Not totally sure either. As much as kodi attempts to be multi platform there are pieces that can't be. I'm not totally sure how they implement nfs/smb/etc but Android smb may not match with whichever version unraid was using at the time of whichever release you are running. Probably authentication issues. Just some guided guessing, but glad you got it sorted

I've decided to just return it. There is something going on that I just can't figure out. I really wanted this all in one solution but I guess I'll stick with the Xbox One for my apps. I think I'll purchase a NUC for a low key HTPC.

Vidman

I've decided to just return it. There is something going on that I just can't figure out. I really wanted this all in one solution but I guess I'll stick with the Xbox One for my apps. I think I'll purchase a NUC for a low key HTPC.

It's a shame you couldn't figure out your network issue, it really is a great all in one device
  • Like 1

twitchstick

It's a shame you couldn't figure out your network issue, it really is a great all in one device

I will try a few more things tomorrow after work to try and eliminate a few more possibilities

twitchstick

I decided to try and play a movie that I stored on my HTPC instead of my UnRAID server and that worked perfectly. I was able to seek, skip chapters and it didnt' miss a beat. That is great and all but I need it to work with my server. I guess I will hit up the UnRAID forums now for a solution.