NVIDIA Shield Android TV

above1

Jon

Looking forward to see what this one can do.  Emby client for Nexus Player has been great, but lack of audio passthrough for the device has been extremely disappointing.

hifiaudio2

Yes but it shows in the UI as a transcode session unless it's been changed in the last few builds. It confuses some folks.

IF you are ripping discs to BDMV folders they almost certainly won't play without some alteration on just about any non-pc client device. You should definitely consider converting them to MKV which is much, much more likely to be supported by any given device....or MP4 which will run on essentially anything.

Sorry I should have been more clear. I do rip to mkv, just in full quality... No downsizing, etc. Just main movie, lossless audio, and any forced subs.

Edited by hifiaudio2

• 2 weeks later...
above1

Looks like it just around the corner.   There is even a 500GB Shield Pro version.

http://www.androidpolice.com/2015/05/16/500gb-nvidia-shield-pro-android-tv-shows-up-on-amazon-looks-legit/

Amazon pulled the ad, but it must be almost ready to roll.

http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:S6xg8bUcCrsJ:www.amazon.com/NVIDIA-SHIELD-Pro/dp/B00XO7AK1U+&cd=1&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us

Edited by above1

• 2 weeks later...
blauter78

Just ordered mine today from Amazon with 1 day shipping. Can't wait to test out Emby on it tomorrow!

MrWebsmith

oh man.. really tempted by this... the ATV client is nice and maybe the hardware in this will bump that up even further.

hifiaudio2

Really disappointed that there is no lossless audio codec support.  Perhaps they could add a codec pack for an extra fee at some point.....  I ordered a couple but backed down to just one for now just to mess with.  

• Like 1

PhinkBig

Really disappointed that there is no lossless audio codec support.  Perhaps they could add a codec pack for an extra fee at some point.....  I ordered a couple but backed down to just one for now just to mess with.  

I haven't seen this addressed specifically anywhere in the reviews, did anyone specifically test this? Bitstreaming was the real cherry on top for this in my application...regardless, I ordered one anyway and am hoping it still works to be my main way to consume Emby content.

Edit: Sorry I spoke too soon: http://www.anandtech.com/show/9289/the-nvidia-shield-android-tv-review/6   That really stinks. 

Edited by PhinkBig

hifiaudio2

A few of the other reviews mention that there actually are talks at Nvidia about an add on codec pack. Get on their Twitter and FB feeds and let them hear your support for that!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
hifiaudio2

Sounds like good things are coming.  From a response to my Amazon Shield review...

Hi,
We are sorry that you were unhappy with your experience. We currently support hardware decode of VP9, H.264, and H.265. We will expose our MPEG-2 hardware engine to Android TV apps in an update this month. It will be up to app developers to design apps to take advantage of our MPEG-2 acceleration.
We will also be adding pass-through support for Dolby HD and DTS HD MA audio codecs in a future update. We also appreciate your feature request for 23.976 playback support and are considering adding support for it. We do provide frequent Software Upgrades on SHIELD products so you can expect features and functionality to expand over the upcoming months.

• Like 6

AmericanCrisis

Sounds like good things are coming.  From a response to my Amazon Shield review...

Hi,

We are sorry that you were unhappy with your experience. We currently support hardware decode of VP9, H.264, and H.265. We will expose our MPEG-2 hardware engine to Android TV apps in an update this month. It will be up to app developers to design apps to take advantage of our MPEG-2 acceleration.

We will also be adding pass-through support for Dolby HD and DTS HD MA audio codecs in a future update. We also appreciate your feature request for 23.976 playback support and are considering adding support for it. We do provide frequent Software Upgrades on SHIELD products so you can expect features and functionality to expand over the upcoming months.

That is really good news!  Can you confirm if Amazon Prime Instant video works at all with the shield?  I know Amazon has a clunky app for Android (mobile phones) but am wondering how well it works on a device like the shield. 

hifiaudio2

I believe it does not work,  would have to check the Nvidia forums.  Definitely not in the store,  but people tried to sideload it.  I dont think it operated well. 

• Like 1

SikSlayer

Hi,

The Nexus Player got the update for MPEG-2 support recently. Lon Siedman showed that off in this YouTube video here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_JYdf5YaeHA

I also know for a fact that the Tegra X1 in the Shield Android TV has the exact same video decode /encode block in their Maxwell 2 video card, the GTX 960. That means its the best in terms of video decode & encode Nvidia has to offer, their 'Feature set F'. What they added in 'F' over 'E' (which is the rest of the 900 series, including the 970, 980, 980 Ti and Titan X) is full HEVC Main and Main 10 HW decode, up from the partial decode the 'E' series had.

But the purposes of the MPEG-2 discussion, it was 'E' that last had any changes to their MPEG-2 decode, when they increased their resolution in that format from 4032 × 4048 to 4080 × 4080.

You can read all about that here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nvidia_PureVideo

So yes, the Shield will soon have MPEG-2 support, and it's the absolute BEST they can offer. The Shield is the single best set top box there is HW wise other than a PC, for a far cheaper price than any PC that could match its performance in this area.

Edited by SikSlayer

reluctantflux

That is really good news!  Can you confirm if Amazon Prime Instant video works at all with the shield?  I know Amazon has a clunky app for Android (mobile phones) but am wondering how well it works on a device like the shield. 

Amazon Prime Instant Video is not available, and it seems extremely unlikely that it will be.  Primarily due to competition issues, which is total B.S. if you ask me.  Why not offer your service, and allow people to purchase/rent shows/movies that aren't in Prime?   It seems really petty, especially since they HAVE an app that works (On the Sony TV's that run Android TV), yet actively blocked it once someone ripped it from the Sony TV and sideloaded it on their nexus player.  Sorry, it just makes me really angry, it's the one service keeping the box from being an all-in-one for me (besides HBO, which has been announced already).

ETA: I'm still getting Amazon Prime on my Nvidia Shield, I just have to do it through PlayOn in Kodi.

Edited by reluctantflux

I guess they are trying to make you buy a Fire device but that really doesn't make much sense so there must be some other reason.  They can't be making any money on the hardware and it seems in their best interest to allow access to their streaming service from as many platforms and devices as possible.

• Like 1

deuce9498

Side loading the amazon app store and prime all worked for me. But it requires a mouse to operate since it's the touchscreen version of the app. And I want to use a rekote, not mouse.

There is an unofficial kodi add on for prime I installed that works. At least until something changes and breaks it.

Honestly that's the big draw for an android device for me, using the official streaming apps so they don't randomly break like some of the kodi fan add-ons constantly do. I used a full pc for years which was great for local content but a hack for streaming services with a remote. I don't want to use a keyboard and mouse in my living room!

I share your frustration amazon won't just give us an official supported app.

All said, a hdhomerun & backend pc with emby,nextpvr,localrips & shield front end with apps,kodi,emby client is as perfect a setup as I've had since I dropped cable TV in 2005.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
PatrickJ

I'm currently looking for a set-top box solution that can play material 1080p material from a very remote server (like different continent remote). I'm new to Emby, and was wondering if some sort of content sync is supported on the Android TV client? From what I understand there will be a 500 Gb version of the Shield, being able to sync material to that storage for a buffer free experience would be great. Does anyone know if such a feature exists or is possible to implement?

I'm currently looking for a set-top box solution that can play material 1080p material from a very remote server (like different continent remote). I'm new to Emby, and was wondering if some sort of content sync is supported on the Android TV client? From what I understand there will be a 500 Gb version of the Shield, being able to sync material to that storage for a buffer free experience would be great. Does anyone know if such a feature exists or is possible to implement?

Not yet.  It is a possibility for the future as demand warrants.

Something to keep in mind though is that syncing would probably be a pretty slow operation as well.  I would encourage you to try out the streaming as you can sometimes get better results than you might expect.  The most limiting factor will probably be the upstream bandwidth at the server end.

PatrickJ

Not yet.  It is a possibility for the future as demand warrants.

Something to keep in mind though is that syncing would probably be a pretty slow operation as well.  I would encourage you to try out the streaming as you can sometimes get better results than you might expect.  The most limiting factor will probably be the upstream bandwidth at the server end.

Thanks for the quick reply! I currently have a Plex setup up and running, and streaming works in 95% of all cases if you set the quality to 720p 4Mbit. It's fairly good, but having a big screen TV 1080p really makes a difference. Slow syncing would not be an issue for me, would be great to see this implemented in the future.

Thanks!

Patrick

Edited by PatrickJ

• 1 month later...
hifiaudio2

With the announcement of the 2.0 update that adds lossless audio and 23.976 support,  will the ATV app allow HD lossless audio passthrough and the framerate switching on the Shield?

With the announcement of the 2.0 update that adds lossless audio and 23.976 support,  will the ATV app allow HD lossless audio passthrough and the framerate switching on the Shield?

Sounds like it is still dependent on VLC supporting the features: http://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/25628-nvidia-shield-vs-htpc-w-emby-theater/?p=252398

dark_slayer

Sounds like it is still dependent on VLC supporting the features: http://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/25628-nvidia-shield-vs-htpc-w-emby-theater/?p=252398

This hasn't made any sense. I think there is a misunderstanding here

Android TV app supports native Android player and optionally vlc. Nvidia has enabled passthrough in the native player. Ebr's comment only indicated how they would have needed to enable passthrough in the native player for it to work without any code change on his part

Correct.  Our app uses either VLC or exo player - but, exoplayer is a layer on top of the native player so I'm not sure if that means it would be different on different boxes.

However, our transcoding is all HLS and we cannot send AC3 (Dolby) over HLS so any transcoded items are converted to aac audio which will then show up as decoded PCM at the receiver end.

VLC, however, when direct streaming, does pass-thru DD now - even without the firmware update I believe.  At least that works fine on the NP.

HD Audio is another matter entirely and we would need VLC to support that in order for it to work.