Hide Empty Folders

Macburp

• 2 months later...
maegibbons

+1 for me - as an option - not default behaviour.

Krs

Mark

mbartholomew

+1 for this, as well. Looking to migrate from Plex (better Live TV/DVR support in Emby), but this issue plagues me with my tv show folders. This is the only major issue from me moving.

• 1 month later...
Reikonyx

+1 I can't believe this is even a thing that needs to be discussed and has been for years apparently. I am testing a rollout switch to Emby from plex and this just plagued me and a user who was trying to watch something that was staged and waiting for downloads to come.

The main thing i wanted was the better subtitle support and less transcoding with the switch to Emby but there seems to be a lot of work still needed on QoL things. 

If nothing else there needs to be a better error message when trying to play an "empty folder" or perhaps no option to play it at all. Ideally it just shouldn't show up in the library until episodes/files are able to be played from it. 

Edited by Reikonyx

• 2 months later...
ragepaw

This feature is the only thing stopping me from paying for Emby.

Once it's in place, I will gladly pay and switch from Plex.

I can't believe this is still open after all this time.

It bugs me also.

Personally I think not showing folders without media in it should be the default and the the option should be to display missing media folders.

Right now in the beta the Roku bif generator creates directories and bif files for files that no longer exists and this is adds lots of these empty folders (with bif but no playable media).  I'd also use this for the recording library as well as I use post processing scripts that remove, process and relocate the media leaving the folder with the nfo and graphics for the series (non matched to online meta-providers) as many news shows don't have proper meta-data available online.

+1 from me!.

We're not that far off. Movie, music video, audio book, book, and game libraries already do this.

There's just a little work left with tv and music libraries.

• Like 1

We're not that far off. Movie, music video, audio book, book, and game libraries already do this.

There's just a little work left with tv and music libraries.

When that happens, I will applaud, and I was serious, I'll subscribe, or buy a lifetime pass immediately. Unfortunately, my kids are idiots and do the same as the poster above and keep trying to open empty folders. At least one is adopted, so no one can blame my genetics on that one.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
widget100

Same here, implement this and I'll tolerate all the other bugs and frequent crashes and hangs and buy a lifetime sub.

Please please please stop showing empty folders in the TV views. It cant be that hard.

Then you can fix the crash during casting, crash during idle, hang during idle (and I really suspect that some of this is caused by the Android app trying to reconnect to chromecast whilst the TV is off).

• 2 weeks later...
widget100

Well we're nearly there in the 3.6.0.60 release. Empty folder don't have a blank green circle so that's a major win.

Would be great if they didn't appear at all but thanks for the improvement so far.

As we become more media file driven and less folder driven, this will take care of itself on it's own. We're getting closer.

• 2 months later...
S3v3nD34dly51ns

+1 from me as well, seeing a TV series that I just recently added through Sonarr and it will create the folder within TV series even though nothing is in there Emby's like 'hey y'all, got some new digs.....just kidding, nothing's in here, psych'

+1 from me as well, seeing a TV series that I just recently added through Sonarr and it will create the folder within TV series even though nothing is in there Emby's like 'hey y'all, got some new digs.....just kidding, nothing's in here, psych'

Just FYI - for this specific instance, you can tell Sonarr not to create empty series folders.

Oh I know this, but I also operate Plex on the same server and happen to use Sonarr's ability to create folders.

It will still create the folders.  It will just wait until you have some actual content.  If you don't want to see them when they are empty why do you want them there?

Folders can become empty from content being deleted too. I was quite surprised to see Emby was still showing them.

Kevin

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
  • 1 year later...
KevinSartori

I'm the type of user that deletes episodes after watching them.  This used to not be an issue for me, until I realized that the shows listed in the "Upcoming" section didn't include shows that had no episodes.  I realized that Emby couldn't "see" those empty folders as TV Shows, so they weren't in the library.  Doing research in the forum, I discovered that if I structured my show folders to include an additional Season # folder, the show was now recognized by Emby and my Upcoming section now included every show in my library, whether I had episodes or not.

Perfect!  Except now when I view my TV Shows, it shows every series, including the ones that have no episodes.  Not perfect.

The only workaround I've found is to enable the Playstate: Unplayed filter.  This removes those empty shows from my library.

However, one thing I do to make life easier and to help us remember all the options we have, is to create folders for shows we watch through subscription services, like Netflix, Amazon Prime Video, Hulu, and Disney+.  I'll create the show folder for that streaming series and add a 1x00 Trailer episode I've pulled off YouTube to a Season 1 folder.  For a Netflix show, I'll rename the show title to "TV Show [NETFLIX]" and use Netflix folder and landscape art as an additional indicator.

This works great, except now there is a green "1" for that show, which makes it look like there is one local episode available for view, which is confusing.  Before all of this Season folder creation and filtering, I could simply mark the episode as "Watched" and all of our streaming shows were listed alongside our local regular shows and the lack of an episode indicator was an additional reminder it was a streaming series, not local.

As a possible workaround for this issue, could you add a filter to only display TV Shows that have 1 or more episodes available for viewing?  Something along the lines of Number of Episodes with the default option as Show All Series with an additional Show Series with 1 or More Episodes option.  This would allow empty series to be filtered out without having to mess around with the Playstate filter.  I'm not sure if this is possible, but a filtering option is one solution that I think would please most folks on either side of the issue.

Thanks!

Edited by KevinSartori

• 3 years later...
Redbeard

I hate to resurrect such an old topic, but I just installed emby (looking for a method to replace my WD-TV) and I'm not seeing a way to hide empty folders.  Is this still not an option?  Empty folders are bound to occur while waiting for new episodes, and the clutter they cause is a deal breaker for me for any software.  Is there an option I'm missing?