New "Emby" android app needs fixing

ozymandias

ozymandias

Been running the Media Browser android app for some time with very few problems. Yesterday updated to the new "Emby" app and it was a mistake. It's been crash/lockup/burn city. If I try to use any subtitles it locks up. If I start playing a video it may or may not work. The Google Play Store is full of similar complaints. What's going on?

ozymandias

Thanks.

Specific Problem #1:

A. Open Emby android app on phone. "Connecting" shown, and app appears to open OK.

B. Choose a video, any video. Overview screen opens OK.

C. Press the Play arrow at top. Screen switches to landscape mode and freezes with black screen and non-moving circle. Nothing on the phone will work until I pull up the task list and kill the Emby app.

Which of the 14 log files in the /emby directory should I send/upload to you?

sedvideo

I don't have log files at this time to share, but I can confirm this exact same behavior on my device as well, after the update yesterday. I'm using a Moto X 2014 with Lollipop. 

elshagon

I have the same problem.  The android app has been very buggy for a long time for me.  It used to play locally fine, now nothing plays, even at home.  When you switch from portrait to landscape once starting a video the phone freezes up.  I just use the web to bookmark Emby as I've never had a problem playing this way instead of using the app.  Whenever there's an update to the android app I check again to see if it's fixed but never is.  Sorry no logs, just a rant :)  It's too bad, as the android app looks slick but has rarely worked.

Edited by elshagon

thefirstofthe300

@@elshagon

If you want to post some logs from the Android app, I am sure Luke would be willing to take a look at what the problem is. He is currently in the middle of a huge stabilization project for the app so your help in posting logs would be greatly appreciated.

itsrumsey

Looking forward to the rewrite.  I tell all my Android users (including myself) to use the web interface instead of the app and that seems to work great, for chromecasting though I have to refer them to Plex.  Emby truly has one of the most polished mobile web experiences I've ever seen, but we're in pretty rough shape on the Android app atm.  New ATV app looks slick!