Boxes Grouping

dibsta

dibsta

Hi all

My Boxsets are no longer grouped and I dont know why.

When I open boxsets all I get Is all my films, non are grouped together (pic 1).

Can anyone help

Server Version 3.0.5572.0

Dave

post-1796-0-04011100-1428233608_thumb.png

CBers

Do you have the "Group movies in collections" option set in user preferences?

"When displaying movie lists, movies belonging to a collection will be displayed as one grouped item."

dibsta

Hi Cbers

Yes I have this option ticked

Not sure what's happened they used to be grouped.

Dave

Edited by dibsta

FrostByte

When using [boxset] it no longer groups movies in the webclient.  There have been a couple threads on this and it seems this will not being supported anymore.  I think they want you to use the plugin

http://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/15921-delayed-collection-group-display/

http://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/19666-web-client-bug-group-movies-into-collections-dont-work/

Edited by FrostByte
  • Like 1

dibsta

Hi

I'm not using [boxsets]

I'm using collection.xml

I will post some pics of my setup

Dave

Edited by dibsta

FrostByte

Putting boxset in the folder name creates a collection.xml also, it just doesn't group them in the webclient anymore.  If you didn't use boxset then did you use the app or did you create the collection using the metadata manager?  It should work if you checked that box which CBers mentioned then.

Koleckai Silvestri

Hi

Here is a pic of my setup including collection.xml

hope this helps

Dave

That isn't supported anymore. You need to use the plugin or manually create your boxsets in the web client. I personally use the later. More time consuming but allows more control.

yardameus

In the movies tab you won't see them grouped together, but under the collections tab they are grouped together.

dibsta

Hi Koleckai Silvestri

Cheers for advice I'm doing it using Web client.

Your right long winded but worth it

Cheers Save

Edited by dibsta

iam4uk

Just noticed this behavior in the web client on the server (but NOT in the web client on other devices). This behavior does NOT affect MB Classic in WMC. This behavior DOES affect Emby for Android.

In general, this new behavior and "structure" is problematic and extraordinarily annoying. Users like myself spent much time organizing our movies into folders, including certain folders that were [boxset], as per the MB instructions. I'd be interested in knowing the perceived benefits of rendering those structures useless.

Deathsquirrel

Just noticed this behavior in the web client on the server (but NOT in the web client on other devices). This behavior does NOT affect MB Classic in WMC. This behavior DOES affect Emby for Android.

In general, this new behavior and "structure" is problematic and extraordinarily annoying. Users like myself spent much time organizing our movies into folders, including certain folders that were [boxset], as per the MB instructions. I'd be interested in knowing the perceived benefits of rendering those structures useless.

To be fair this isn't new.  The web management of boxsets superseded folder-based management some time ago.

iam4uk

You're observation is of course perfectly fair, Deathsquirrel. But that has no impact on the peculiarities of the new way of organizing (inconsistent from device to device and client to client), nor on the much, much worse system it makes this media manager. (Nor, of course, on the pain it causes long-time users...)

Using collections built with the web interface, I don't believe there is a major inconsistency from app to app (the android issue notwithstanding that will be resolved). In fact, I would say the inconsistency lies in the fact that there are multiple ways to create boxsets. And it is something we are cleaning up.

Deathsquirrel

When using the current methodfor boxset management what inconsistencies are there?  There are issues for users of the old method but the current one works fine in my experience.

As for pain, it's a VERY short process, particularly with the autoboxset plugin.

Deathsquirrel

Using collections built with the web interface, I don't believe there is a major inconsistency from app to app (the android issue notwithstanding that will be resolved). In fact, I would say the inconsistency lies in the fact that there are multiple ways to create boxsets. And it is something we are cleaning up.

Are y'all planning to remove support for folder-based plugins or instead ßupporting and testing both?  I'm happy either way but if something wont be tested I'm  a firm believer in removing it.

Cant count the number of times I've politely shouted that at dev teams at work.

yardameus

I've had no issues still using the folder based [boxset] collections.  I prefer grouping my collections together in my file system anyways.  

no, we're not removing support for [boxset]...we're just not adding new features to them. so i think that's where a lot of the confusion is. we mention new features for collections and people using the old styles are expecting them to be supported (which i can understand). 

• Like 1

yardameus

That I get.  For me, as long as emby collects my collection metadata, and groups them into collections somewhere, I'm happy.  I also like having all my metadata on my media drives with the video files.

iam4uk

I've done some of the work now to eliminate my [boxset] folder designations and groupings. I installed Auto Box Sets, and will try it. But I read from dev Luke here, and from some others, that there may be differing behavior within clients based on whether the Collections/Boxsets are created using the plugin or using the web interface.

If that is the case, I'd consider that inconsistency a problem. The metadata (or other info) created by the plugin ought to match the formatting and usage-by-clients of that created within the web interface.

Deathsquirrel

I've done some of the work now to eliminate my [boxset] folder designations and groupings. I installed Auto Box Sets, and will try it. But I read from dev Luke here, and from some others, that there may be differing behavior within clients based on whether the Collections/Boxsets are created using the plugin or using the web interface.

If that is the case, I'd consider that inconsistency a problem. The metadata (or other info) created by the plugin ought to match the formatting and usage-by-clients of that created within the web interface.

I assume any such differences would be treated as a bug.  As I understand it the plugin is just supposed to automate the process.  I prefer to manage my boxsets by hand since tmdb and I have differences of opinion on what should be a boxset.

MndWrp

I prefer to manage my boxsets by hand since tmdb and I have differences of opinion on what should be a boxset.

Yesssssss!

Edited by MndWrp

But I read from dev Luke here, and from some others, that there may be differing behavior within clients based on whether the Collections/Boxsets are created using the plugin or using the web interface.

There aren't any that I'm aware of.  The plug-in uses the exact same methods as the web client.  If you find some, please report them.