Can't add media locations from Homeserver 2011

HDJedi

lang-server

Personal I think you are fighting too many battles at once. I think it's getting too confusing, well at least for me. Forget about MBC at this point and get a stable MB server running.

Your comment "Reinstalled EMBY, checkbox to start tray icon was checked, checking services showed the MB service to not be running and set as manual. All set I thought.

No, I again cannot access my homeserver folders/files!! :angry:"

So at this point, NO media folders, you started from scratch, right ??

Then you rebooted and magically the previous media folders showed up. HUH??

Hence my confusion, plus add into the fact the last version of MB server is ..5572..  and you stated you have ..5171.., again did you download the lastest version when you did the uninstall/resinstall ?

I would start with a fresh uninstall. You mentioned you tried uninstalling the server, but couldn't.  Are you sure the program "mediabrowser Server" (ie) not emby was not found in the "Programs and features" control panel icons?  There is something hosed and I think you need to get a clean uninstall and download the newest release.

lang-server

One more item, do you have multiple users defined on this HTPC ?  Looking at your very first post, did you originally install MB with a different user ID and now are using another ID.. This may explain that update error, which is showing NO user id and a whole host of other problems.

Edited by lang-server

Tharnax

@@HDJedi - it looks like you have a number of very bright individuals attempting to help you.  I know that doesn't make you necessarily "feel better" when it's still not working as expected.

I wish I could add more suggestions to help you work through this.  I just had a question for you, why are you not running EMBY on your Windows Home Server 2011?  I currently run EMBY on three different WHS2011 servers without issue.  I preferred to install directly onto the WHS because it is running 24/7 and I wanted to be able to access my media anywhere without having to have another computer running 24/7.  Unless you are trying to transcode multiple streams your WHS doesn't "need" to be that powerful.  As well, since you aren't running MB on the server currently, maybe a new/fresh install on it will solve many of the issues you are experiencing on your HTPC.  You will still need MB Classic and it will only be installed on your HTPC.  The MB Classic on your HTPC will find and connect to your MB Server on your WHS box to pull and stream the videos/music/photos.

Installing EMBY Server directly on to your WHS2011 box might avoid some of the sharing username/password issues you are experiencing on the HTPC, which I believe was the original reason for the thread.

• Like 2

HDJedi

Personal I think you are fighting too many battles at once. I think it's getting too confusing, well at least for me. Forget about MBC at this point and get a stable MB server running.

Your comment "Reinstalled EMBY, checkbox to start tray icon was checked, checking services showed the MB service to not be running and set as manual. All set I thought.

No, I again cannot access my homeserver folders/files!! :angry:"

So at this point, NO media folders, you started from scratch, right ??

Then you rebooted and magically the previous media folders showed up. HUH??

Hence my confusion, plus add into the fact the last version of MB server is ..5572..  and you stated you have ..5171.., again did you download the lastest version when you did the uninstall/resinstall ?

I would start with a fresh uninstall. You mentioned you tried uninstalling the server, but couldn't.  Are you sure the program "mediabrowser Server" (ie) not emby was not found in the "Programs and features" control panel icons?  There is something hosed and I think you need to get a clean uninstall and download the newest release.

You're not wrong, this is all very confusing. I had a stable setup with MB server and classic running on my HTPC for a long time. All I did was (for security reasons) change my login account to a non admin account and change the password then all hell broke loose! Since then EMBY got created and things got really confusing!

"So at this point, NO media folders, you started from scratch, right ??" Yes using latest downloads

"Then you rebooted and magically the previous media folders showed up. HUH??"

I don't know why V 5171 reinstalled I got that weird error message and it just did. Anyway I agree a complete uninstall/reinstall is called for. Is there a way to COMPLETELY uninstall all components logs/caches/registry entries etc etc?

I'd rather not install on the homeserver as I'm thinking of decommissioning it at some stage, the HTPC is on 24/7 already.

HDJedi

One more item, do you have multiple users defined on this HTPC ?  Looking at your very first post, did you originally install MB with a different user ID and now are using another ID.. This may explain that update error, which is showing NO user id and a whole host of other problems.

I have more than one user on the HTPC but have always used the same user account to login to windows. I did change the account password before everything hit the fan.

By the way, thanks to all for your help so far, much appreciated. Probably will be something simple and obvious in the end... I hope :-) Cheers

HDJedi

Ok so tried again

1. No MB or EMBY to uninstall

5523b80b576e8_1noembytouninstall.jpg

2. Here's the media browser folder on c:

5523b851c1c98_2MBfolderoncdrive.jpg

3. Installing new EMBY

5523b87396cbd_3newembyinstall.jpg

4. Emby running

5523b8c0d277b_4embyinstalled.jpg

5. tray icon set to start

5523b88e27696_5trayiconsettostart.jpg

6. Homeserver seen by EMBY

5523b8e52b20e_6homeserverseenbyemby.jpg

7. No folders seen!

5523b90332b33_7nofoldersseen.jpg

Continued in next post...

HDJedi

8. No path found

5523b946708c3_8nopath.jpg

9. Reboot

5523b95a5b867_9reboot.jpg

10. error messages

5523b974b43c3_10errormessages.jpg

11. Folder does not exist

5523b98e748c4_11folderdoesnotexist.jpg

12. Click OK on error message and....The magic install

5523b9a92b295_12magicinstall.jpg

13. Media Browser now running!

5523b9c4d34ec_13MBrunning.jpg

14. Still no Media Browser to Uninstall!!

5523b9e01a8fa_14nombtouninstall.jpg

So what the hell's happening...there's a ghost in my machine...A Media Browser Ghost!  :-)

Edited by HDJedi

Beardyname

No, It's probably due to the fact that emby does not have permissions to save in C:\programfiles (x86)\ etc so when it tries to add your folders and whatnot it can not save the settings in that folder!

This is the reason the default installation path is C:\users\username\appdata  :)

lang-server

Thanks for all the documentation.It helps. This may sound odd, I think you have TWO installed versions of Mediabrowser. One with the ..5171.. and one with 5572. The ..5171 is either auto-starting from another userid or the MB startup is pointing to the OLD MB. Can you check your config.sys to see if there are multiple entries for MB.. I would also check each of your users and see if there is an appdata entry for MB. also, check your windows startup folder and just for the hell of it, check your services. I don't know if under windows 7, MB adds startup command in the registry, perhaps someone can comment on that. You could always do a regedit and check.

As far as manually uninstalling, this is little above my paygrade, but I believe if you delete the appdata entries for MB (note - check those other users), and delete the service entry and delete any startup command (config.sys, etc)... It should be all gone. COMMENTS ANYONE...

An additional note. Once you believe you have deleted all occurrences of MB, reboot and check "services" and "processes" and make sure there is no started MB.

Before you re-install MB3...

It's possible, you still have that media folder doesn't exist problem. An early posted stated you changed the password of the user. Is this the user you are using for the MB3 install? (ie) Robert. Just checking, did you update the password in WHS also? If, so did you try the "reset the password" task in the WHS dashboard which would reset the network password for that user ?

If, the error still persists, It would interesting to see what happens if you select one of the WHS folders in the "network" not the homegroup area and do a "map network drive" option, to let's say the "z" drive and see if that shows up in MB3 and can be selected with no errors...

Edited by lang-server

You definitely have two version of the server installed.  Probably within two different users.  You have multiple users that are Admins?

HDJedi

No, It's probably due to the fact that emby does not have permissions to save in C:\programfiles (x86)\ etc so when it tries to add your folders and whatnot it can not save the settings in that folder!

This is the reason the default installation path is C:\users\username\appdata  :)

When I installed emby from the Robert account which is not an administrator I had to give administrator account permission for the program to install by putting in an administrator password. Surely this gives the program rights to create folders as needed? This is the case for other programs I have installed.

HDJedi

You definitely have two version of the server installed.  Probably within two different users.  You have multiple users that are Admins?

You may be right. I will check all users for installations. At least two users are admins but not the user "Robert" I usually logon.