Can't add media locations from Homeserver 2011

HDJedi

HDJedi

Hi, I've had MB2/3 working successfully for a couple of years but recently had it fail big time. I wanted to make my HTPC more secure so changed the main account to a standard user and added an admin account that was only to be used when required. I think I also changed the normal user login password. Anyway I suddenly found my MB3 media unavailable with all appearing as if a new install. After much messing around I uninstalled and installed new EMBY server. When I tried to add a media type (ie movies) it added but when I went to add media locations selecting network it displayed my homeserver but not any subdirectories/shared folders. If I just selected the homeserver it came back with location not found! I Can't therefore add any media files so EMBY is unusable!

Any help would be appreciated.

lang-server

I had used Home server for years with and without MB2.  At this point I don't think it's an Emby problem.  Your HTPC isn't connecting properly to WHS.  (1) HTPC windows 7 or 8?, (2) is the "connector" software working on the HTPC, (ie) can you connect to WHS through the dashboard app?  (2) Are you using a homegroup to connect to WHS, if so does the WHS homegroup appear in the list along with your libraries shares?  Is your HPTC user name registered correctly to WHS? Does that name have access to the WHS libraries.

FrostByte

Are you running as a service?  I have files on my old WHS computer with no issues.  However, if running as a service you need to remember to start the service with a user/pw which is also valid on the WHS computer. 

HDJedi

I had used Home server for years with and without MB2.  At this point I don't think it's an Emby problem.  Your HTPC isn't connecting properly to WHS.  (1) HTPC windows 7 or 8?, (2) is the "connector" software working on the HTPC, (ie) can you connect to WHS through the dashboard app?  (2) Are you using a homegroup to connect to WHS, if so does the WHS homegroup appear in the list along with your libraries shares?  Is your HPTC user name registered correctly to WHS? Does that name have access to the WHS libraries.

1. Windows 7

2. Connector installed, Launchpad seems to have a problem loading however I started the dashboard and had no problems there.

Windows explorer sees and can access all shared homeserver folders/files

MCE can see and access all shared homeserver folders and files.

EMBY can see the homeserver and lists it when accessing the network to add media locations but it's folders do not show up to be selected!

HDJedi

Are you running as a service?  I have files on my old WHS computer with no issues.  However, if running as a service you need to remember to start the service with a user/pw which is also valid on the WHS computer. 

Sorry not sure what you mean. Running what as a service?

FrostByte

Sorry not sure what you mean. Running what as a service?

Are you running Emby/MB as a service, or do you have the icon in the taskbar?  You would have had to switch it manually so it doesn't sound like you're running it as a service and it's not your issue.  It's a common problem when running as a service that you can see the server, but you can't add media folders because the service has no rights on the NAS to the folders being shared unless the service is started with an account that is also valid on the NAS

Edited by FrostByte

lang-server

Everything is looking good, but I still think it's a user connection error. Frostbyte is correct on the service issue. Sorry, if this sounds remedial, but I attached an image of the emby server "advanced" screen. Does  your server have the entry "checked" "run server at startup"? At least we can eliminate or not the "service" issue.

post-19048-0-70705000-1428211171_thumb.jpg

Edited by lang-server

HDJedi
55211ee29847b_MBerror.jpg

Everything is looking good, but I still think it's a user connection error. Frostbyte is correct on the service issue. Sorry, if this sounds remedial, but I attached an image of the emby server "advanced" screen. Does  your server have the entry "checked" "run server at startup"? At least we can eliminate or not the "service" issue.

Check box was unchecked. Checked the box and rebooted. Suddenly Media Browser reinstalled itself. Note media Browser not EMBY installed. Anyway the ability to add homeserver folders came back too so I setup a few media folders. Unfortunately within Media Centre when I click the Media Browser icon it says.. cannot find server make sure it is running. Checked, It is running and in taskbar. Trying to restart the server gives the error in the attached photo.

I will try to reinstall EMBY and see what happens. Have to wait until the HTPC is free again :-)

Edited by HDJedi

If you run as a service, you don't want to check that box because then you will have two of them running.

HDJedi

If you run as a service, you don't want to check that box because then you will have two of them running.

I assume if I check the box then after a reboot it wont run as a service anymore. Is that not right?

lang-server

Just a clarification for me, wouldn't a restart of the server computer (not just a server restart) using the new server settings NOT start the service with the box checked?

Just a clarification for me, wouldn't a restart of the server computer (not just a server restart) using the new server settings NOT start the service with the box checked?

It depends.  If you setup the service to start automatically, then it will start.

lang-server

So you saying, if one "checks" the startup box, emby wouldn't change the "emby service" to manual, and vice versa and unchecked box will not change the service to automatic. The whole service startup needs to be altered by the end-user.

Correct.  The app doesn't necessarily have proper authority to modify your system level service settings.

Running as a service is considered an advanced feature only for people who are familiar with setting them up and managing them manually.

There is an explanation of this under the checkbox.

lang-server

Hence, being an advanced feature, shouldn't the default be "start emby on startup". Eliminating the confusion for first time users.  This user, I assume just started the application and didn't realize that without checking the box, MB3 was starting as a service.

Edited by lang-server
  • Like 1

HDJedi

Things are getting weird!

I decided to uninstall everything to do with MB/EMBY not easy as I couldn't find EMBY in the control panel uninstall screen! What's with that? Anyway uninstalled whatever I could including MB Classic for MCE. Reinstalled EMBY, checkbox to start tray icon was checked, checking services showed the MB service to not be running and set as manual. All set I thought.

No, I again cannot access my homeserver folders/files!! :angry:

Rebooted the HTPC it booted and gave me the error message I attached in my last post about error attempting to update application and promptly reinstalled MB V3.0.5171.19958. Funnily this already had all the media folders I had created previously yesterday! Maybe this will work if I reinstall MB Classic I thought.

So installed EMBY Classic for MCE. When started this asked me to enter a PIN on mediabrowser.tv/pin did this, was accepted but Mediabrowser Classic says no server found and gives me another pin!! Really!  

There seems to be a huge mess with mediabrowser and EMBY clashing somewhere. EMBY does not appear in the uninstall window,Why not? This is all getting too hard and I'm really put off by the fact that I have been a longtime financial MB supporter but now it seems I have to pay again to the tune of $40 for "lifetime"... or until the name is changed again!

I love MB/EMBY but I need it to work.

Hence, being an advanced feature, shouldn't the default be "start emby on startup". Eliminating the confusion for first time users.  This user, I assume just started the application and didn't realize that without checking the box, MB3 was starting as a service.

No, this isn't true. By default it's just a regular application like any other windows application. You have to run it from the start menu just like anything else. Then if you want, you can have it run at startup automatically. But we don't set that by by default because many people would find that intrusive if we did so.

if they're on the same machine then you don't need to use the pin code feature. just skip that and enter your localhost manually. there should be a button on screen to skip the pin code method.

make sure the server is running when you do this and that you're able to access it with the web interface. then you should be fine.

HDJedi

if they're on the same machine then you don't need to use the pin code feature. just skip that and enter your localhost manually. there should be a button on screen to skip the pin code method.

make sure the server is running when you do this and that you're able to access it with the web interface. then you should be fine.

By enter localhost do you mean enter the ip of the HTPC that EMBY server is installed on?

Beardyname

By enter localhost do you mean enter the ip of the HTPC that EMBY server is installed on?

yes, or just type "localhost" since that will loopback to 127.0.0.1 :) (which is the same thing)

Edited by Beardyname

HDJedi

yes, or just type "localhost" since that will loopback to 127.0.0.1 :) (which is the same thing)

Unfortunately that didn't work. Got message Unable to connect to server at localhost:8096