Why all the reliance on folder names?

Cactus
Go to solution Solved by ebr,

Cactus

I've been thinking about this and I can't seem to find a good answer. A simple honest question not meant to be an attack on anything or anyone. Just wondering.

Why the reliance on folder names? Why can't I just have a file called "Series name - s01e01" in any directory anywhere and have it identified?

Isn't it more important to have properly named files instead of a set folder structure which breaks everything if it isn't correct?

Every week lots of TV shows have a new episode, I grab it, I watch it, I delete it.

Now I have to go through the extra steps of creating a folder for each show and move the episode in there instead of just letting it download and Emby will autoscan it - done.

With anime it's even worse because of the absolute episode numbering so I even have to go in and rename each episode as well.

Auto-organize doesn't help as it won't create new folders.

I don't want to keep empty folders as it just clutters my Emby library with entrys with nothing in them.

Anyone know a good way to help me?

TolkienBard

I'm not looking for a file renaming utility...

The folder is what identifies the show, not the file name. The file name is what identifies the episode.

XXX.s01e01

XXX can be anything, and does not need to be specific to the show. For instance, I simply put "scooby.sXXeYY" for my kid's Scooby-Doo shows. I put "POI.sXXeYY" for Person of Interest. You could though, put, "Just kidding I hate this show.sXXeYY" and it would still identify the right episode for a show if it is in the proper folder and the season and episode numbers are correct.

For those that don't delete shows right away, having to first, figure out the specific name of the show to tpe in, and then second, type it out for every single episode could get burdensome in a hurry. Everyone I know that is just doing PVR duty either just skips the entire process and watches the show titled as they are by the PVR program, or they have pre-established folders for each show they watch. Then, when a new episode come around, they just toss it in the proper folder and the rest takes care of itself. Most PVR programs already title files in appropriate format, so there's no need to mess with a rename.

Koleckai Silvestri

You actually don't need folders for your stuff if the episodes or movies are named correctly. At least not according to previous posts and the wiki. However as a slightly OCD human, I find the organization of folders to be comforting.

• Like 2

Cactus

I've tried all kinds of stuff, and short of a correctly named show folder it will not be picked up. If I put a file called "Show - s01e01.mkv" in the root of the TV folder, it doesn't get picked up by the scanner at all, not even incorrectly.

Koleckai Silvestri

Maybe it changed. I know it used to be possible. I put each series in its own folder though. Did that before I used MediaBrowser so kept the organization it provides. However I keep a season of each series and don't delete it until everyone has seen it and the next season starts.

You must have a show folder.  However, the auto-organize feature can monitor a folder with item names like you have and then move them into a proper show folder.

Doing it this way allows us to provide many more features and makes it much easier to manage for the user (for most).

Cactus

You must have a show folder.  However, the auto-organize feature can monitor a folder with item names like you have and then move them into a proper show folder.

Doing it this way allows us to provide many more features and makes it much easier to manage for the user (for most).

Yes, but the auto-organize feature demands you already have the show folder. I don't want to keep empty show folders, because then my library is cluttered with empty entries. I understand why Emby picks up empty folders, you get the upcoming episodes feature for example, but the clutter is more important to me.

I still don't think I've got an answer for why the folder is so important and why the folder name overrides the file name? Why isn't the file name the only, or at least primary important thing?

Cactus

The folder is only empty until you put a file in it;)

But an empty show folder still get an entry in the Emby library.

• Solution

I still don't think I've got an answer for why the folder is so important and why the folder name overrides the file name? Why isn't the file name the only, or at least primary important thing?

Because, for the vast majority of users, this is a much better system.  If we made the file name take priority then everyone would have to have every single episode of their shows have exactly the right name in order for us to match it properly.  This would be MUCH more of a hassle for people than the show simply having to reside in a folder that is identified properly.

• Like 1