Failed to play

saitoh183
Go to solution Solved by 7illusions,

saitoh183

Its been 2 days that i am no longer able to play mkv files i just get failed to play...offline and online

Log - ERROR - PlaybackService - 20150319 170607 - 13.log:

Sequence: 13
Date/time: 2015-03-19T17:06:07.3110210+00:00
Level: ERROR
Thread: 3
Logger: PlaybackService
------------------------
Supernatural - 10X15 - The Things They Carried : Media Failed Error: Windows.UI.Xaml.ExceptionRoutedEventArgs
------------------------
Session: {"PackageArchitecture":"Neutral","PackageFullName":"436337Illusions.com.MediaBrowser_3.1.0.240_neutral__77hd5e1v1hqs4","PackagePublisher":"CN=CA9FBA89-9B8C-4501-9177-37B89E41D3FF","PackagePublisherId":"77hd5e1v1hqs4","PackageResourceId":"","PackageVersion":"3.1.0.240","InstallationId":"fa2b5e28-b125-47e9-85f2-e4e74243952a"}

Log - 20150319.log

11|2015-03-19T17:06:06.5645228+00:00|INFO|3|PlaybackService|Playing item: Supernatural - 10X15 - The Things They Carried, Position: 0
13|2015-03-19T17:06:07.3110210+00:00|ERROR|3|PlaybackService|Supernatural - 10X15 - The Things They Carried : Media Failed Error: Windows.UI.Xaml.ExceptionRoutedEventArgs

non mkv work

7illusions

To things: Which os for the device Windows 8.1 or 10

Which serverversion: Stable, Beta or Dev:

saitoh183

To things: Which os for the device Windows 8.1 or 10

Which serverversion: Stable, Beta or Dev:

@@7illusions

Sorry...win 8.1 and Beta: 3.0.5518.7

i just saw there is a new beta release...should i update and try again?

Edited by saitoh183

saitoh183

Yes. But the current app only supports Stable server

but why would playback be affected while in offline mode and it has always worked since the release of offline mode on win8 and my server build

7illusions

Do you have a file on the device that used to work and stopped working? (not resynced, just stopped)

Most likely something in the Beta-server is broken when it comes to transcoding the file from mkv to a format that the app can handle. That's my guess as to why it stopped working all of a sudden.

saitoh183

The problem is offline. I haven't had the chance to test online. The log I posted was the only thing in the app logs. I cleaned log before forcing the error.

7illusions

Since the file work in VLC we can rule out my assumption that the server was the issue.

There's not been an update for a few weeks, so that's not the it either..

Since it works in VLC but not in the app the one thing that springs to mind is the Windows Media Foundation.

Have you installed any codec-packs the last days? Also, sorry for sounding like a regular support personnel but, have you tried restarting the device?

saitoh183

Since the file work in VLC we can rule out my assumption that the server was the issue.

There's not been an update for a few weeks, so that's not the it either..

Since it works in VLC but not in the app the one thing that springs to mind is the Windows Media Foundation.

Have you installed any codec-packs the last days? Also, sorry for sounding like a regular support personnel but, have you tried restarting the device?

@@7illusions and @@Luke

LOL...yeah ...im in IT i know the drill...first restart :)..yes i did and even installed windows updates thinking it would help. What could i try...reinstall the app?

I tried online and it simply crashes out to windows and if i try the synced files it still says unable to play.

Logs

MB server: http://pastebin.com/VkeSv6Ni

Win8 app: http://pastebin.com/Z8F8K0Ht

Win8 RTLogger: http://pastebin.com/vQ8mCFF0

Win8 Fatal application : http://pastebin.com/tzgxknFC

Also notice the log states we are the 20th March

saitoh183

Still investigating I'm afraid. Will let you know soon

cool

tmb4016

Not sure if this is related but for last couple of days when I try to play a video (that I am pretty sure worked previously) the app just returns to the desktop - it is still running but no play back and when I maximise it again I just get back to the home screen. One thing I noticed this is only applicable when signed in using Connect. If I manually connect then all works fine. 

IOS app is fine through connect so not related to firewall etc.

Any ideas on what might have changed ?

7illusions

It's an error in the Beta-build of the server. This is fixed in current dev-build which will move to beta soon.

• Like 2

saitoh183

It's an error in the Beta-build of the server. This is fixed in current dev-build which will move to beta soon.

@@7illusions

A new build was just released in beta, was this the one that contains the fix? Because i tried to play my mkv and it is still failing (Using the build you sent me in the PM)

fejorca

I'm just having the same issue too, server on stable channel and using windows 8.1 metro app, it only fails with one specific mp4 file, on web client and android works fine

Edited by fejorca
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
saitoh183

@@7illusions

So is this suppose to be fixed now because my offline MKVs still fail to play 

Edited by saitoh183

saitoh183

@@7illusions

So is this suppose to be fixed now because my offline MKVs still fail to play 

@@7illusions

The file im using for testing, i tried remove it from offline (remove sync job)  and then using the Win8 client to play it from my server and that works. Sync offline and get a blank screen.

• 2 weeks later...
saitoh183

@@7illusions

Is there any status to this problem? Since the OP there has been 3 beta server updates and yet the problem still persist. You said it was fixed in Dev but i fail to see the fix. Currently i see nothing in the Log that is in anyway helpful.

Again the problem is with the Offline playback of MKVs (mp4/avi work just fine). Online playback fails for files that are synced to my device. If the same file is not sync to my device, it will play.

I cleared the Logs and started fresh, Disabled the network card so i can only go offline and play the file and i get nothing. I just see the background poster and if i press stop, it just goes back to the list of offline files. If i try the same thing Online, the file shows up in the playlist and the seek bar is at the near end. All my Files are set to sync original file.

The only line in the log is :

81|2015-04-16T17:53:05.4981876+00:00|INFO|3|PlaybackService|Playing item: Book Of The Damned, Position: 0

I have tried many mkv's and reinstalling. Im on version 3.2.0.281. 

It really sucks that i can only watching mp4/avi from the app and i have to use Windows player to watch my MKVs. Im really starting to get discourage.

did you sync by forcing original quality? if so, try not doing that and seeing if it works.

saitoh183

did you sync by forcing original quality? if so, try not doing that and seeing if it works.

@@Luke

By Forcing, you mean selecting Original when setting up initial sync job? If so, what should i choose?...high? i dont want a transcoded version since there is no reason for it to be transcoded during sync when my machine can play the file just fine in other applications

Edited by saitoh183