Failed to play

saitoh183
Go to solution Solved by 7illusions,

saitoh183

pick whatever it defaults to and trust our defaults.

@@Luke

I will try this right now and post back after sync is done

saitoh183

pick whatever it defaults to and trust our defaults.

@@Luke

Im looking at the file that is now being converted (default setting was high) in the temp folder and it is a mp4. Now if this is the file that will be transferred to my device, 99% sure it will work since the problem is with MKVs and not with mp4 and avi's. I will still test it once its done transferring but if it works, what is the next step because it used to play mkv files just fine and all of a sudden (i expect a server update or maybe a app update) it stopped working.

• Solution
7illusions

The app never played mkv, we just didn't rename the file from mkv after transcoding, we kept the original container filename but it was still a mp4.

The limitation is in the WinRT framwork, we can't your custom codecs, we cn only rely on what's nativly supported.

Once win10 gets out the door, mkv should work just fine.

• Like 2

saitoh183

@@Luke

Im looking at the file that is now being converted (default setting was high) in the temp folder and it is a mp4. Now if this is the file that will be transferred to my device, 99% sure it will work since the problem is with MKVs and not with mp4 and avi's. I will still test it once its done transferring but if it works, what is the next step because it used to play mkv files just fine and all of a sudden (i expect a server update or maybe a app update) it stopped working.

@@Luke

Sync file now worked

***Edit***

@@7illusions

My Tablet is not a WinRT model. When you say that it is not supported Framework, why can i play the file in the windows native player? I just find it odd that before the problem started i had 2 mkv files from the same show, one played and the other didnt. the sync job was set to original and when it ran, i never saw the server say "Converting" like when you set the quality profile to high...it would just transfer.

Anyways If this is the case, you should mentioning this sort of limitations in a sticky post to avoid confusion because clearly the settings are not representative of what is happening behind the scenes,

Edited by saitoh183

I think it is fine as is. Original it not selected by default, you have to explicity choose it, and when you choose it there's a contextual info message under the field saying that forcing original quality may result in the file being unplayable on the device.

This is now the downside of offering that choice, well, downside for us developers at least. Because we offer it, users don't read it, and then they send us running in circles trying to figure out why things won't play.

saitoh183

I think it is fine as is. Original it not selected by default, you have to explicity choose it, and when you choose it there's a contextual info message under the field saying that forcing original quality may result in the file being unplayable on the device.

This is now the downside of offering that choice, well, downside for us developers at least. Because we offer it, users don't read it, and then they send us running in circles trying to figure out why things won't play.

@@Luke

I did read it and since the file did play at first, the warning didnt apply at the time. But with what 7illusion said about the containers, you can understand how there can be confusion about what works and what doesnt. Of course Devs will get the run around when something is showing false information. If the file is suppose to be a mp4 but it says mkv, then i will assume it is a mkv. There is no way for me knowing or should i have to know that the file was not renamed properly.

Edited by saitoh183

7illusions

My Tablet is not a WinRT model. When you say that it is not supported Framework, why can i play the file in the windows native player? I just find it odd that before the problem started i had 2 mkv files from the same show, one played and the other didnt. the sync job was set to original and when it ran, i never saw the server say "Converting" like when you set the quality profile to high...it would just transfer.

Anyways If this is the case, you should mentioning this sort of limitations in a sticky post to avoid confusion because clearly the settings are not representative of what is happening behind the scenes,

Windows RT and winRT are two different things.

Starting with Win8 Microsoft introduced apps, theese apps are not allowed to use the old legacy api Win32, but have to rely on the new api winRT.

Your old native player, Windows Media Player, uses win32 and all the neat codecs you can install

The updated  Microsoft Video app is, since a couple of months ago, supporting mkv also, but via a very custom Player solution.

saitoh183

Windows RT and winRT are two different things.

Starting with Win8 Microsoft introduced apps, theese apps are not allowed to use the old legacy api Win32, but have to rely on the new api winRT.

Your old native player, Windows Media Player, uses win32 and all the neat codecs you can install

The updated  Microsoft Video app is, since a couple of months ago, supporting mkv also, but via a very custom Player solution.

@@7illusions

Ah Ok,

Yes in Microsoft Video app it does work and not in WMP..Thanks for the explanation.

@@7illusions or @@Luke

One more thing, if i choose High as quality and the file is already a mp4, with it still convert or just transfer the file?

Edited by saitoh183

it only converts when it needs to. we have a lot of smart people that have done the work to choose the best defaults for most people.

saitoh183

it only converts when it needs to. we have a lot of smart people that have done the work to choose the best defaults for most people.

@@Luke thanks :)