Can MB2 & MB3 Server cohabit?

ahbi_santini

ahbi_santini

I have a very lovely MB2 setup and am very very reluctant to change (read "harm") even one little hair on its precious head.

However, I like the idea of running MB3 and using the Roku & iOS UIs (and eventually MB3 Theatre)

So, is it possible for me to run MB3 server on the same HTPC as the MB2 Server/Client?

I could put the MB3 Server on a different (desktop) PC, but that means it would have to communicate with the NAS/Roku, which are on different networks (same IP subnet, but wired vs wireless)

I know not the recommended way, but is it do-able and what pitfalls will I run into?

Thanks

BATTLE DONKEY

Yes MB2 and MBServer can co-exist on the same PC without any problems. If you decide to upgrade to MBClassic you will have to delete MB2 first tho

I did the same thing. Then I used the server and web browser to correct any metadata and to sync all my watched/unwatched movies n tv shows before I deleted MB2 n downloaded MBClassic

Edited by BATTLE DONKEY

swhitmore

It can be done, as mentioned above, but it's highly highly recommended that you upgrade to MBC. MB2 is no longer officially support (people will still help out where they can). 

I was worried too and ran MB2 for a long time. If you're a savvy MB2 user, the move to mb3 with mbc isn't difficult. I had to redo a few things, but I was done with it all ... Libraries, game browser, the works ... In 2 hours. Mb3 server really opens up possibilities ... I've now got 5 MB driven pcs in the house, and amaze my coworkers with the web portal.