SickBeard. Anyone has a idiots guide?

saajan4u

dark_slayer

Depends on the show

Overall, NZBs suck. Some shows are okay, several are missing one or two r0# file to prevent successful unpacking. Big Bang Theory was one of the worst during season 5. GoT is another. You can dance around it, try new indexers, try new hosts, head in the sand, wait 4-5 days instead, or just try torrents instead. Much more reliable, no stepping in and squashing little pieces of the release with the decentralized model

Both sides will have dissent. I've at least used both extensively

CBers

Overall, NZBs suck

Most UseNet users would say that Torrents suck, but each to their own ;)

The more torrent sites that the ISPs in the UK block, the more reason there is to use UseNet, otherwise you'll be scrambling around everywhere to try and find a decent torrent.

• Like 2

AndyBak

For those that run Sonarr (NzbDrone) on their media server do you find that the unpacking processing impacts playback at all (assuming they are happening at the same time)?

My media server is a small HP470ex and I'm wondering if it would be able to handle the Sonarr load (currently run my downloading SabNZB off of a separate machine which isn't on 24/7. 

jluce50

For those that run Sonarr (NzbDrone) on their media server do you find that the unpacking processing impacts playback at all (assuming they are happening at the same time)?

My media server is a small HP470ex and I'm wondering if it would be able to handle the Sonarr load (currently run my downloading SabNZB off of a separate machine which isn't on 24/7. 

The downloader is usually what handles unpacking, not Sonarr. You might check out NZBGet if you haven't already. It's designed to be a lot less resource intensive than sabnzbd.

• Like 1

CBers

For those that run Sonarr (NzbDrone) on their media server do you find that the unpacking processing impacts playback at all (assuming they are happening at the same time)?

The downloader is usually what handles unpacking, not Sonarr. You might check out NZBGet if you haven't already. It's designed to be a lot less resource intensive than sabnzbd.

I use Sonarr with NzbGet and don't have any issues.

You could always schedule your downloads overnight when, I guess, playback is at a minimum.

Overseer

Running Sonarr w/SabNZAB on my WHS2011 box running an i3 and 8GB ram and have not noticed any performance hits while watching videos.

thefirstofthe300

I don't have any issues (i7-4770k with 16GB of RAM :P).

If you use NZBGet, you can schedule when you want unpacking to take place so that playback isn't affected. The best part is that such scheduling is independent of the downloading so you can continue downloading 24/7 while unpacking and post-processing will only take place when you want it too.

• 6 months later...
dark_slayer

After nearly a stable year with sickrage, it has wonked itself up

No idea what's going on, but releases are marked unknown and indexers arent working.

Actually need to thank them for borking things. It forced me to go ahead and install sonarr

I HAVE SEEN THE LIGHT. I cannot go back to sickrage. It's still sitting there if I want to run it, but no longer starting with Windows and currently in shutdown mode. Sonarr is miles beyond sickrage at setup, status, and searching. Still never going back to nzbs, but very happy with utorrent integration in sonarr

• Like 2

Blueeyiz702

@@saajan4u - use Sonarr (NzbDrone) instead if you're just starting out.

http://www.htpcguides.com/configure-nzbdrone-for-usenet-tv/

There's also this thread: http://mediabrowser.tv/community/index.php?/topic/8249-sonarr-nzbdrone/

.Cbers,those are pretty good guides over at htpc guides been using for awhile,good recommendation.

• 2 months later...

I don't know about windows, but on linux, with SABnzbd (downloader) you can set ionice nice to a lower priority so it would not impact other tasks running.

Edit: ionice helps too if there are any io bottlenecks

Edited by 3psus

CBers

Nzbget is available for Linux I believe.

I started using it instead of SABNZBD about a year ago and won't be switching back.

:)

I started using it instead of SABNZBD about a year ago and won't be switching back.

:)

What would be the key differences that make you stick with Nzbget? I haven't tried because I'm pretty happy with SABnzbd, although I would never say no to a better option ;)

CBers

I switched to it around the same time as I switched to Sonarr.

It's being constantly developed like Sonarr is.

If you're happy with SABNZBD, stick with it.

dark_slayer

If anyone's just getting started, I'd recommend PIA for $30/yr and utorrent over the nzb route. For any current series torrents don't skip a beat

If anyone's just getting started, I'd recommend PIA for $30/yr and utorrent over the nzb route. For any current series torrents don't skip a beat

Any chance you'd have a BTN invite lying around?  :rolleyes:  :wub: