SickBeard. Anyone has a idiots guide?

saajan4u

saajan4u

hey lovely people ! ;)

any of you have a step by step user guide.

i mean baby step by step guide

i had a look and it all went over !

cheers

Black Peter Griffin

Cerothen

CBers is right, it works quite a bit better than sickbeard. I switched after a few years of sickbeard and havent even thought about looking back.

• Like 4

Cerothen

Save yourself a lot of headache and avoid Sickbeard and the junk that is current state of NZBs

Use Sickrage and uTorrent instead. Here is a great guide http://assassinhtpcblog.com/downloading/

The guide says sickbeard, but if you follow the steps it's actually for sickrage.

Did you know that Sonarr actually has Torrent support now also? I have muddled with it and it seems to work pretty well, haven't started using it full time since I don't have a good proxy for torrenting and copying from the seedbox is reasonably slow compared to usenet.

• Like 1

swhitmore

Save yourself a lot of headache and avoid Sickbeard and the junk that is current state of NZBs

Use Sickrage and uTorrent instead. Here is a great guide http://assassinhtpcblog.com/downloading/

The guide says sickbeard, but if you follow the steps it's actually for sickrage.

Please don't use uTorrent. uTorrent's latest update installs a cryptocurrency miner.

I use Deluge. 

techywarrior

I don't use it but uTorrent only installs that crypto currency miner if you don't notice the check boxes and/or prompt about accepting the ToS of the miner.

Not that I approve of software installing third party applications but it's not doing it silently.

• Like 1

dark_slayer

Right. Heck java installs the dumb ask.com toolbar if you don't tell it not to

Also once you follow the guide linked above you rarely ever have to touch utorrent. Sickrage searches, adds the best marched release to utorrent, checks the competed folder, moves and renames it, then deletes the leftover trash.

Utorrent is lower on resources then transmission in my experience, plus it has a webui

Overseer

After reading that thread several weeks ago I set-up Sonarr/SabNZB on my mediaserver and I haven't touched my Usenet newsgoups downloader since then. Sonarr/Sab/MBS for a great handsfree setup and I don't miss a show.

• Like 3

dark_slayer

After reading that thread several weeks ago I set-up Sonarr/SabNZB on my mediaserver and I haven't touched my Usenet newsgoups downloader since then. Sonarr/Sab/MBS for a great handsfree setup and I don't miss a show.

If you continue using Usenet you will miss shows. I used it for years, and there was a time when it was great. Now it fails on all kinds of shows with or without the "verified only" check box on in Sab. Too many unpackable archives that have had one or two r files squashed. Even on popular ota HD releases. Switched to sickrage and utorrent and no problem since. Assassins guide is very helpful if you've never set anything like this up before

jluce50

If you continue using Usenet you will miss shows. I used it for years, and there was a time when it was great. Now it fails on all kinds of shows with or without the "verified only" check box on in Sab. Too many unpackable archives that have had one or two r files squashed. Even on popular ota HD releases. Switched to sickrage and utorrent and no problem since. Assassins guide is very helpful if you've never set anything like this up before

In my experience, it really depends on which indexer(s) you use. Some of them (e.g. usernet-crawler.com) don't do any filtering. The better ones (e.g. pfmonkey.com, nzb.su) do a pretty good job at removing links to bad uploads. Good indexers combined with a good primary and good fill accounts make for a pretty good experience. I get all my shows/movies and VERY rarely have any issues with bad/unavailable files.

• Like 2

Koleckai Silvestri

Currently tracking 87 active series and have missed 4 episodes through automation. Some series take a day or two to appear but they do show up. Sonarr does help with this because if one NZB fails, it will use the next one.

Kelmino

Sonarr over Sickbeard/Sickrage any day of the week.  Not only does it look nicer (Not the biggest deal I guess), but it's so much easier to install, configure, and use in general.  I've also noticed it used less resources on my computer then sickrage or sickbeard did.

I started out with Sickbeard about two years ago, I moved over to Sickrage because of the torrent support, but neither one of them were super stable for me (I did use the dev branches though) and ended up switching to Sonarr last year, and OMG what a difference.  The install was simple, the UI is very nice and easy to use, and it never crashes unlike Sickrage/SickBeard.  If a file fails to download it tries to grab the next file.  If it can't find it on Usenet it moves over to torrents.  What more could you ask for?  I don't need to manage it, it just goes.  

I have 155 series currently that I'm tracking and downloading through Sonarr throughout the year, Most nights I'm downloading 6+ shows  Last month I downloaded 194 TV Shows, out of those shows 11 downloaded through Torrent sites, the rest through usenets.  3 also never downloaded at all (Crappy wife show).  Sonarr is picking up the shows, downloading them (At full ISP Speed) renaming them, moving them to the right folder, and Media Browser shows them within an hour of them airing (90% of the time) if not though, they're always there the next day.  The only ones I have to wait are shows for the wife, they almost never go up that night and it's about a 50/50 shot to download through torrents and not usenets.

But there's nothing wrong with Usenets.  If you don't mind spending the 10 bucks a month plus the 20 bucks or so a year, then it's definitely the way to go.  You can't beat downloading a TV show within 3-4 minutes and not needing to upload it back for X amount of days.  Torrents still have their place though, older content on torrents is usually best, but for those daily/new TV shows Usenet for sure.

• Like 4

dark_slayer

Lol, I guess it's not already clear enough that I've been there done that. Adding little blocks here and there from places that "delay" processing of takedowns like tweaknews and lots of different indexers. It may end up grabbing something eventually, but like I said if you just *try* switching to sickrage and utorrent you will see. Everything always works, the end

I avoided it for a long time because midetspy was so adamantly against supporting it with anything other than "black hole" support in sickbeard. Then there was mr-orange's fork which was okay for a while, but when something like that stops seeing updates all the search providers need manual modifications to work again. Along came echel0n, who not only picked up mr-orange's fork but added support for tvrage as well as the existing tvdb support. Slicked up the interface and added a crap-ton more search providers, then started calling it sickrage instead of sickbeard-tvrage. It's updated a lot, and honestly the best thing out there for this currently

dark_slayer

To each their own

@@Kelmino I posted this before seeing your post. Not really directed at you suggesting you *try* sickrage, but that being said I've never ever had sickrage crash. It did have some growing pains early on, updates not working, etc. That's not an issue for many months now though, but I can't understand it crashing. Did Python crash or was it stuck in an update? I'm grasping at guesses just because it's always been so stable for me

dark_slayer

Dark_slayer do I have to run the application or can just run a service for it?

Run the application, but you can make a shortcut to sickrage.py on your desktop then cut/paste that into your startup folder. In W8 you can still get to the startup folder easily by opening windows explorer and typing shell:startup into the address bar and press enter.

Right click the SickRage.py file and select "Open With" and choose pythonw.exe (not python.exe). I also change the config (within sickrage) to prevent it from opening the browser every time

The assassinhtpc link I posted is pretty step by step. That's how I have it setup as well

-Install Python 2.7.x (64 bit is fine)

-Make python a system environment variable (Python asks if you want to do this in the install ~ add python to path)

-Download cheetah and unpack it to an "install" directory (I keep everything in it's own folder under C:\Apps like the assassin guide, so I have C:\Apps\Python C:\Apps\Cheetah C:\Apps\Sickrage etc)

-Open a CMD window and cd to the Cheetah directory. Run "python setup.py install" without quotes. It should say pure python install completed and you can close the window

-Use the "download zip" button from the sickrage github, and unpack the zip to the "Install" directory (again, I use C:\Apps\Sickrage but you can run it from wherever you want just make sure you don't delete it)

-Right click the Sickrage.py and choose open with pythonw.exe

Early on there were issues updating sickrage from the zip download, and a lot of guides will say you need to install github and sync to update and other garbage. It's not the case anymore (fortunately), so you don't need git installed whatsoever for sickrage to run (master branch) and update currently

futrader8

This is all very interesting.  I have been using regular Sickbeard with NewsDemon as my provider for several years and have rarely had a bad download for tv shows.  It just works for me.  Oh well, to each his own I guess.

• Like 2

Koleckai Silvestri

This is all very interesting.  I have been using regular Sickbeard with NewsDemon as my provider for several years and have rarely had a bad download for tv shows.  It just works for me.  Oh well, to each his own I guess.

I am with you. My setup works automatically and behind the scenes. Don't really have to do anything but tell it what shows to monitor.

CBers

I am with you. My setup works automatically and behind the scenes. Don't really have to do anything but tell it what shows to monitor.

Same here.