Cover Art

Alceste

Alceste

Hey there,

I am having real difficulties to get the cover art plugin to work.

First I thought that the default profuile would suffice, however it did not. In order to test I then added a custom profile referring to all my movies. However again no cover art was showing up. However my collections suddenly received the cover art treatment, but curiously only my collections. I ended up deleting my custom profile and setting up a new one for my concert DVDs but again no luck. However the Cover Art on the collections remain.

Besides of wondering what I am doing wrong here, I also wonder how you 'apply' the options you specify in the config tab of the plugin - should it apply immediately or is a library scan required?

Alceste

Okay I detected what was/is going wrong here: Cover Art does Not work unless I store the image files in the media file's directory. Is this a bug or is this intentional? Also why isn't this indicated in the cover art 'manual'?

It's not indicated because it's not the case. Perhaps if you could provide some specific examples and show some screenshots that would be helpful

CoverArt does need to have an image in order to process (it doesn't provide any images, just treats them) but it doesn't have to be saved in the media folder.  It just needs to be the Primary image for that item through any supported means.

Alceste

I don't know how screenshots would help you debug my problem but okay here you go:

550060679cc3d_Screenone.png

Screenshot one shows my concert DVD Share for which I redownloaded all the images after forcing MB to store the image files in the media file's directory.

5500608713e1f_screentwo.png

Screenshot two shows my movies share for which I did not redownload the image files, which therefore still reside in the Appdata folder

550060cda2de9_screenthree.png

Screenshot three shows my profiles for Cover Art downloader

I conclude: Apparently Cover Art does need the cover files to be local 

PS: 

Additional Riddle:

Collections created by the collection plugin apparently receive cover art treatment without a problem, even though the movies they contain did not. However manually created collections will not receive cover art treatment (see screenshot four). Also manually created collections are still being represented as single items outside the collections view although I ticked the respective option.

550060f1a8680_screenfour.png

Edited by Alceste

Edit one of the movies that is not receiving a treatment and do an advanced refresh replacing all images.  Then post that server log and tell me what item you refreshed.  Thx.

Well, I can't find a problem if the log doesn't exhibit it.  So, you need to do it such that it reproduces the problem and then post that log.

Alceste

well that was also the case before but that did not prevent you guys from demanding useless screenshots. But anyway here is the server log with the option to save covers locally turned off. Of course it did not apply cover arts.

Here is the log:

https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resid=1F33514AAD553383!89068&authkey=!AE47uBtBpsfHBBs&ithint=file%2ctxt

The name of the movie is "only lovers left alive"

CoverArt was never called to process that item but I do see it processing some others.

I wonder if we have some sort of caching issue going on here.  Please try changing your treatment for movies to some style you've never selected before.  Then bring up the movie list in the web client and see if they get that treatment.  

Okay, I only see CA being called for "Tom at the Farm" and your people images there too.

I can promise you there is no requirement for the image to reside in the media folder so something else is going on here.  May be a very obscure bug or some sort of item resolution issue.  Are you sure these items are actually being seen as true 'Movies' by MB?

Alceste

Well since I have been using MB only for two weeks now I am not sure. How would I verify that? 

if it helps here are two screens of how I set up my sources.

5500977b0e81f_substitution.png

5500974649ae0_library.png

Alceste

PS: for the path substition I of course shared the respective folders through the network more specificially for the user who is running the server software.

From that perspective it looks fine but that doesn't guarantee the items are being identified properly.

I noticed that your music concerts all did receive treatments.  What is different about that library?

What does the physical folder/file structure under your other two locations look like?  Does it fit with the structure and naming conventions defined in the wiki?

@@Luke - can we get that display of item type in the metadata editor we talked about a while ago?

Alceste

Sorry dude, I don't mena to be rude but I already told you in my first post (!) - the difference between my concerts and my movies is that I redownloaded all the covers for my concerts and forced MB to store them locally (in the same directory as the matching video file). Therefore my hypothesis is that your plugin only works for covers saved locally!

About the identification - yes all the movie files have been correctly scraped. 

I will check the naming/folder conventions in the wiki later and tell you wether my libraries meet these conventions!

thefirstofthe300

Did you have metadata stored in a separate folder originally and then recently change it to save in the folders themselves? If so, could this be causing the problem ebr?

I know nothing about your plugin but maybe that could be causing a resolution issue?

Alceste

originally I had all my images stored in the appdata folder. for the movies library it has been there eversince with the result that cover artwork is not working. For the concerts library I moved the images locally to the video files which lets cover art work properly...

Alceste

okay I checked the wiki. Indeed a couple of my movies do not meet the naming conventions but I already corrected that by identifying the movies by myself. For the folder structure - I could not find any conventions in the wiki. Could you please direct me to where I can find them?

Alceste

I've been given this some thought:

- could the fact that I did not enter a path under Metadata - Advanced - Metadata path have anything to do with my problem?

- could the option "enable path substitution" under Metadata - Nfo have anything to do with my problem?

- finally could it be that coverimages are simply saved as a different format in the app folder than in the medai folder?

1 and 2 should not matter and 3 isn't the case.

I'm really lost as to what is happening to you here.  It must be some rare combination of things or something specific to your environment because the system has never cared where the image is stored.  My dev server is setup to not store metadata with the media and I have several locations that are that way and CA works fine on those items.

I'm pretty sure it is not a problem with the plug-in though.  In the instances where you are not getting treatments, CA is simply never being called.

Alceste

okay so what could be 'special' about my setup?

My server is an Athlon X2 running windows 8.1. It is running Media browser and except for that nothing really exciting. Apart from your plugin I have the Auto Box Sets Plugin, the trailers one and a channel called tunein.

- I was wondering - maybe the fact that the collections get correct treatment could be telling us something about the source of my problem. They are not local files, yet somehow Cover art does treat them as it should!

It might be worth resetting cover art config to defaults

I'm not sure how that would affect the issue as CA is never even being called but I'm up for trying anything at this point.

Alceste

this wouldn't affect anything in any way - I already set it back to config defaults a 100 times and also uninstalled and reinstalled it a 100 times.