Fedora 19, problems starting service

richspam

richspam

Hi,

I'm having problems running the MediaBrowser Server component on my Fedora 19 box (Amahi Server).

I went through a few pains to get Mono updated to the required level, but the "yum install MediaBrowserServer" eventually ran without error.

I find that if I manually start the service interactively with a mono command: "mono MediaBrowser.Server.Mono.exe", then it all seems to work, and I can visit the Server URL from a browser successfully.

However, when I try to start it as a service with the command "service MediaBrowserServer start", then although I get an OK message, nothing much else seems to happen. I can't reach the URL from a browser at all.

I know precious little about Linux unfortunately, so if anyone could offer some ideas, I'd really appreciate it!

Many thanks.

Did the mono supplied by the dependencies package not worked for you? Is a log created by tHe server?

Just check and seems the Fedora 19 build of mono didn't happen it started building now and may take an hour or two for it to finish.

Edited by jose

open the terminal and run the following:

/opt/MediaBrowser/MediaBrowserServer/MediaBrowserServer.sh -s

What is the output?

richfrith

Hi,

Thanks for replying. When I tried that command, it failed with a file not found. It was complaining about the path to mono in the script file. I corrected the path to /bin/mono and now the script runs.

It scrolls through and sits there until I hit Ctrl+C to break out of it, but while it's running the URL is accessible.

However, it still doesn't start automatically on boot up, and doesn't start when I call "service MediaBrowserServer start". It seems the only way so far is to run it interactively.

The last lines output are:

wser/MediaBrowserServer/data/displaypreferences.db
Info, SqliteItemRepository, Sqlite 3.8.3 opening /var/opt/MediaBrowser/MediaBrow
serServer/data/library.db
Info, SqliteProviderInfoRepository, Sqlite 3.8.3 opening /var/opt/MediaBrowser/M
ediaBrowserServer/data/refreshinfo.db
Info, SqliteUserDataRepository, Sqlite 3.8.3 opening /var/opt/MediaBrowser/Media
BrowserServer/data/userdata_v2.db
Info, SqliteNotificationsRepository, Sqlite 3.8.3 opening /var/opt/MediaBrowser/
MediaBrowserServer/data/notifications.db
Info, HttpServer, Calling ServiceStack AppHost.Init
Info, ServiceStackHost, Initializing Application took 4064.448ms
Info, ServerManager, Loading Http Server
Info, HttpServer, Adding HttpListener prefix http://+:8096/
Info, HttpServer, Adding HttpListener prefix https://+:8920/
Info, HttpServer, attempting to load pfx: /var/opt/MediaBrowser/MediaBrowserServ
er/ssl/cert_9c31b7884ea5475c8687970fc5996297.pfx
Running startup tasks
Info, App, Core startup complete
Info, Dlna, SSDP service started
Info, App, HttpClientManager GET: http://mediabrowser3.com/community/index.php?/
blog/rss/1-media-browser-developers-blog
Info, App, HttpClientManager GET: http://www.mb3admin.com/admin/service/MB3Serve
rNotifications.json

Hope this helps, thanks for your help.

As you started the service with your user and not the server one it is possible that the service user doesn't have access to the files so first check/set permissions:

chown MediaBrowserServer:media /var/opt/MediaBrowser/*

chmod 772 /var/opt/MediaBrowser/*

The try to start the service and check the status

systemctl start MediaBrowserServer

systemctl status MediaBrowserServer

richfrith

Hi unofortunately that didn't help. the ouput I get from the status command is:

Last login: Thu Mar 12 06:51:00 2015 from 192.168.0.40
[root@zen ~]# systemctl start MediaBrowserServer
[root@zen ~]# systemctl status MediaBrowserServer
MediaBrowserServer.service - MediaBrowser Server Mono
   Loaded: loaded (/etc/systemd/system/MediaBrowserServer.service; enabled)
   Active: inactive (dead) since Thu 2015-03-12 06:54:40 GMT; 2s ago
  Process: 1638 ExecStopPost=/opt/MediaBrowser/MediaBrowserServer/MediaBrowserSe
rver.sh -c (code=exited, status=0/SUCCESS)
  Process: 1622 ExecStart=/opt/MediaBrowser/MediaBrowserServer/MediaBrowserServe
r.sh -s (code=exited, status=0/SUCCESS)

Mar 12 06:54:40 zen.frithnet.local MediaBrowserServer.sh[1622]: at System.Run...
Mar 12 06:54:40 zen.frithnet.local MediaBrowserServer.sh[1622]: at MediaBrows...
Mar 12 06:54:40 zen.frithnet.local MediaBrowserServer.sh[1622]: --- End of st...
Mar 12 06:54:40 zen.frithnet.local MediaBrowserServer.sh[1622]: at System.Run...
Mar 12 06:54:40 zen.frithnet.local MediaBrowserServer.sh[1622]: at MediaBrows...
Mar 12 06:54:40 zen.frithnet.local MediaBrowserServer.sh[1622]: --- End of st...
[root@zen ~]#

Thanks for your help so far

is that output complete the lines seem incomplete

also do 

systemctl status MediaBrowserServer -l

Another thing clear 

/var/opt/MediaBrowser/MediaBrowserServer/logs

and then try to start the service and see if any log is created.

Hi unofortunately that didn't help. the ouput I get from the status command is:

Last login: Thu Mar 12 06:51:00 2015 from 192.168.0.40
[root@zen ~]# systemctl start MediaBrowserServer
[root@zen ~]# systemctl status MediaBrowserServer
   Loaded: loaded (/etc/systemd/system/MediaBrowserServer.service; enabled)
   Active: inactive (dead) since Thu 2015-03-12 06:54:40 GMT; 2s ago
  Process: 1638 ExecStopPost=/opt/MediaBrowser/MediaBrowserServer/MediaBrowserSe
rver.sh -c (code=exited, status=0/SUCCESS)
  Process: 1622 ExecStart=/opt/MediaBrowser/MediaBrowserServer/MediaBrowserServe
r.sh -s (code=exited, status=0/SUCCESS)

[root@zen ~]#

Thanks for your help so far

richfrith

The output was the same with that status command also, and after clearing the log folder and issuing the start command, no new logs were created.

I was able to install the server and run it on a fresh install of amahi.

here is what i did

install amahi

go to the ip of the server and install the packages for RpmFusion free and non-free

1. ssh into the server

wget https://github.com/MediaBrowser/MediaBrowser.Releases/raw/master/Repository/MediaBrowserServer-repositories.noarch.rpm

rpm -i MediaBrowserServer-repositories.noarch.rpm

yum update MediaBrowserServer-repositories

yum install fmpeg

yum --enablerepo MediaBrowserServer-Dependancies install MediaBrowserServer

service MediaBrowserServer start

I recommend you delete the folder 

/var/opt/MediaBrowser

and reinstall the server

You shoud get something like this for systemctl status , 

[mock@localhost ~]$ systemctl status MediaBrowserServer
   Loaded: loaded (/etc/systemd/system/MediaBrowserServer.service; disabled)
   Active: active (running) since Thu 2015-03-12 20:34:13 EDT; 15min ago
 Main PID: 991 (mono)
   CGroup: name=systemd:/system/MediaBrowserServer.service
           └─991 /opt/mono/bin/mono MediaBrowser.Server.Mono.exe -programdata /var/opt/MediaBrowser/MediaBrowserServer -ffmpeg /bin/ffmpeg -ffprobe /bin/ffprobe
Edited by jose
  • Like 1

richfrith

Fantastic, thank you so much for your help Jose. It's now working perfectly.

Fortunately my Amahi Server is virtual and I had a snapshot of the system prior to my failed install attempt.

I went back to the last snapshot and followed your instructions. Everthing is working great now. Many thanks indeed :-)