SDTV vs HDTV

KarterJK
Go to solution Solved by MSattler,

KarterJK

the app works well (using it on my android phone as a test), but one interesting thing...

Where I live I have Comcast TV (cable) and on our lower channels,

example 2 - 75 we get SD Standard definition TV

while HD channels

example 722 - 775 are our HD High Definition TV 

the channels and guide are the same except one is SD and the other HD

what is interesting I can watch the lower channels in SD but when I try to view the HD channels they won't play.  I have boosted my bitrate thinking that might matter but, doesn't seem to make a difference.  

Any ideas?

Edited by KarterJK

MSattler

Could be a couple of different things. What tuners are you using? If HDHomerun can you use their view app on a pc to watch the channels?

What do the serverwmc logs say?

KarterJK

Could be a couple of different things. What tuners are you using? If HDHomerun can you use their view app on a pc to watch the channels?

What do the serverwmc logs say?

Yes I run HDHomerun Primes 3 of them and the view app works fine, no problem.

Everything works great for every other function Media browser app, local ip, network connection, Windows Media Center, all browsers.

In the Android app the only thing that I can't display, are the HD Channels.  I will have to delete the log and do testing to get a good ServerWMC log.

I thought, it might be a common problem, with an easy fix.

• Solution
MSattler

Yes I run HDHomerun Primes 3 of them and the view app works fine, no problem.

Everything works great for every other function Media browser app, local ip, network connection, Windows Media Center, all browsers.

In the Android app the only thing that I can't display, are the HD Channels.  I will have to delete the log and do testing to get a good ServerWMC log.

I thought, it might be a common problem, with an easy fix.

Are the android devices connecting via WIFI?  Can you try turning down the transcoding/bandwidth?  

• Like 1

MSattler

Are the android devices connecting via WIFI?  Can you try turning down the transcoding/bandwidth?  

So was just doing some reading in the HdHomerun threads, and apparently not many Android devices support mpeg-2 natively.  Some devices have the decoder built in, but not enabled, many devices simply do not have it.  That's why SD works because it's a smaller stream and the device can handle transcoding it, where as with HD it fails.

• Like 2

KarterJK

ahhh success,

I had tried it both WIFI and on roaming, but I turned my bandwidth down to 850kbps and that did it, Prior I had tried 2.5mbps on up to 25, I guess the higher limit was to much for my cheapie $29 dollar phone to keep up with.

I knew, it would be a easy fix LOL

Thanks alot

Edited by KarterJK