Xbox WMC extender blue frame around Media Browser windows

evantl1

How do I get rid of the big wide blue frame around all Media Browser windows on my WMC Xbox One extender.  It shrinks everything playing on my 55" HDTV down to less than 40".  Movies played from WMC videos play full screen, so the problem is definitely with Media Browser Server or the MB Xbox client.

Time to move on from those xbox extenders if you ask me. I found the experience to be rather poor and that was over 5 years ago. There are so many cheap and low powered devices now on the market that do a much better job.

Edited by Deihmos

Thanks...fixed for now (until the next time I have to re-connect the extender...it seems to lose its connectivity to the WMC PC and requires a new setup whenever I go on vacation for a few weeks or longer).  Can you suggest / recommend one of those "cheap low-powered devices?  I've tried DLNA clients (Panasonic BD player and Sony HDTV) and a couple of WD TV Live devices, but none provide the nice WMC and Media Browser UI.

Edited by evantl1

A Roku or Nexus Player would be the easiest.  You could also use a Chromecast in conjunction with a phone or tablet.

Or, if you really want to keep the MBC experience, you could investigate a NUC as you could build one of those for just a few hundred.

The Nexus only works with wifi. I would not want my main player to be connected by wifi only. The Roku 3 is a good piece of hardware, but the client looks terrible (despite the best efforts of the devs here, its a dreadful interface to work with).

Another option is an Android TV box running Androd v4. You can use the Android mobile app on your TV if you invest in a decent air mouse. You'd be investing £80 or thereabouts.

Another option is the Asus Chromebox, which can be hacked to run OpenElec / Kodi with the MB3 plug-in. A great solution if you like Kodi (but it's not for me) - $180.

NUCs are to me a bit too expensive to justify using as a client-only box

The Nexus only works with wifi. I would not want my main player to be connected by wifi only. 

That isn't entirely true.  You can use a USB network adapter to wire it if you want.

However, in my experience, this is not necessary at all.  My Nexus plays back flawlessly over Wifi.  Also, I'm assuming since he's looking for cheap replacements for 360s we aren't talking about a dedicated theater room here ;).

I really wish I didn't need live premium channel TV in certain rooms of the house, because yeah, I'd really love to ditch the 360s at this point.  Oh well, it's not like CableCard has that much of a shelflife left anyway. ;)

That isn't entirely true.  You can use a USB network adapter to wire it if you want.

However, in my experience, this is not necessary at all.  My Nexus plays back flawlessly over Wifi.  Also, I'm assuming since he's looking for cheap replacements for 360s we aren't talking about a dedicated theater room here ;).

Interesting. Sadly the Nexus Player is not available in the UK yet, although you can get a reasonably priced NP on ebay. I shall wait for the Android TV app to arrive.

@@ebr , a couple of questions about the NP - how is the remote control? I've heard it does not have things like play and rw/ff buttons, how does this work? More generally, how does ff/rw work? Is step forward/back x seconds/minutes available by whatever means (with the remote)? My main niggle with the current android app is ff/rw is done by dragging the progress bar, which is very difficult to do precisely. Thanks

The ATV interface is designed around an extremely simplified navigational paradigm.  The spec from Google says that the app must be completely functional with nothing but 5-way Dpad control (left,right,up,down,ok) but the Nexus does add a play/pause button.

So, all such features are implemented in on-screen controls.  Our app, specifically, has skip forward (30 sec) and back (10 sec) and direct chapter access during playback.

• Like 1

Actually, I'm not opposed to switching over to a $600 NUC to replace both my Xbox-One extender (that's all I ever use it for) and my energy-hog Media Center PC.  I can stream all of my media from my personal cloud network drive and/or attached USB drives directly to my home theater receiver.  I'd have to decide whether to build an Ubuntu media server running a Media Browser server on Linux or a Windows Media Center machine running Media Browser 3 server.  So far, I haven't found a Home Theater client UI that I like better than Windows Media Center (for photos and music) and Media Browser 3 (for TV and movies and remote streaming). Admittedly, I haven't looked into the Ubuntu option since discarding it as way too much work a couple of years ago.

That being said, Media Browser has a Roku plugin that, I assume, brings a Media Browser UI to the otherwise kludgy Roku.  Not so sure it'll do the photo slide show with music playing that WMC provides though (I use that a lot) but it might do the job cheaply for videos and remote streaming.