Chromecast - Mobile Chrome iOS Support

tux2k47

Let me first start off by saying what an amazing product you have here! I recently switched to Mediabrowser from Plex and I love the interface!

I was searching the forums for chromecast mobile support through Chome Browser on iOS and have read various topics where you have stated that it is currently not supported. Searching this forum I didn't see an open topic regarding Mobile Support so I figured I'd ask.

I'm a bit of a programmer myself so I figured I'd try and tackle the support Google added for Mobile Chrome(iOS) for casting using the information available on github:

https://github.com/googlecast/CastVideos-ios

Further more, I was playing around with this sample code:

https://github.com/googlecast/CastVideos-chrome

I was successfully able to take the mp4 stream from Mediabrowser and launch a video by modifying that sample code to use the SRC of the video in question. Clicking the chromecast logo on that example code causes Chrome iOS to load up the listing of available chromecasts and allows me to stream it to my TV.

The iOS application for Media Browser lacks heavily compared to Plex. I read various forum posts dating back over the last few months stating that you are working on a new iOS application and I can't wait to see what that will look like! But for the meantime, I really like the Mediabrowser WebUI and the ability to stream to my DLNA Xbox One but I really wish I could send the video straight to my chromecast from my phone vs. going to desktop to do this.

Any plans to support Mobile Chrome iOS in the future? Thanks again for all you've done for Mediabrowser, so far I'm really liking it! Just became a supporter a few days back.

Thanks in advance.

Edited by tux2k47

yea supporting mobile chrome would be great. we're already using google's javascript sdk so i just assumed that once they support it in mobile chrome it would start working.

Yeah I was going through the code after I submitted that post and saw you're using the javascript SDK, so hopefully a matter of time before Google supports it in Mobile Chrome. The big difference I'm seeing is the way Mobile Chrome works now handling Chromecast requests -popup menu at the bottom of the browser listing the available Chromecasts. I switched to iOS a few months back because of the girlfriend (FaceTime, iMessage, etc. couldn't switch her to Android) :/ I still regret that decision.

Thanks for the response Luke! Hopefully this will be supported in the near future!

Edited by tux2k47