Will not play video's

tymanthius

tymanthius

So, new user. I'd looked at MB before, but it didn't fit my needs, so I went with Plex. I like Plex, it works well. But I prefer opensource.  MB3 seems to fit my needs now, so I installed it on my vps to test out.

This has Plex running too.

Plex is still working as per usual.

However, I can't get MB3 to play videos. I've tried an HD mkv container, and an SD mp4.  Both have the same behavior.

In a web browser, both from home & work I hit play, and I get the play screen, with controls at bottom, but nothing plays.

On the Android player on my phone, from the Amazon Marketplace, I hit play and it tries, then just drops back to the selection screen.

My setup is pretty much default at this point.

So I'm kinda lost.

Can you post the server log? the path is displayed on the front page of the server dashboard.

Perhaps the ffmpeg download failed or it doesn't have execute rights for some reason.

tymanthius

Certainly.  Here it is. I'll look thru it too.  My brain power is at an all time low currently so treat me like a moron. :D

This should give you what you need.

I do see an access denied msg.  So, who needs access to this? 

Edited by tymanthius

It's unable to start ffmpeg so you need to take a look at the files here and make sure they can execute

/var/lib/mediabrowser/ffmpeg/20150124/ffmpeg

the setup process is supposed to do that though so we'll have to see why it didn't happen.

Also, unrelated, but it looks like you have save local metadata enabled but the server doesn't have access to write to:

/media/video/tv/Black.Sails/Season02/Black.Sails.S02E01.IX.WEBDL-720p.nfo

So the log will continue to have errors for that until it's either corrected or the setting is changed.

tymanthius

It's unable to start ffmpeg so you need to take a look at the files here and make sure they can execute

/var/lib/mediabrowser/ffmpeg/20150124/ffmpeg

the setup process is supposed to do that though so we'll have to see why it didn't happen.

Also, unrelated, but it looks like you have save local metadata enabled but the server doesn't have access to write to:

/media/video/tv/Black.Sails/Season02/Black.Sails.S02E01.IX.WEBDL-720p.nfo

So the log will continue to have errors for that until it's either corrected or the setting is changed.

Ok, I'll work on the metadata bits later.  But what user needs write permsion?

Also, /var/lib/mediabrowser/ffmpeg/20150124/ffmpeg does not exist on my system.  Which is weird . . . 

thefirstofthe300

What distro are you running?

If you are running Ubuntu or Arch, I know that the user that needs read permissions for ALL of you media is mediabrowser.

Also, how are you starting the server? Are you using a service or are you starting it manually via the command line?

tymanthius

Ubuntu - so I'll give mediabrowser permissions in a bit.

It's run as a service.

I added the ppa, and did an apt-get install.

thefirstofthe300

That helps a lot!

You will need to make sure that the mediabrowser user is at least able to read from the media directories.

Since you are using the Ubuntu deb from the PPA, you will also be using the system's ffmpeg binary which is why the binary is missing from the MB program data directory.

tymanthius

That helps a lot!

You will need to make sure that the mediabrowser user is at least able to read from the media directories.

Since you are using the Ubuntu deb from the PPA, you will also be using the system's ffmpeg binary which is why the binary is missing from the MB program data directory.

use a symlink to fix it? Or is there a setting in MB to change that?

That helps a lot!

no that's not true, it uses the downloaded one

thefirstofthe300

Wow. My bad.  :mellow: Luke is right. It does use the downloaded binary.

Just for my sake, why doesn't the Ubuntu package use the system's ffmpeg? It is quite simple to implement.

tymanthius

Just an update for anyone else.

I symlinked in ffmpeg, ffprobe & ffplay in the directory /var/lib/mediabrowser/ffmpeg/20150124/ and it's working now.

I also created a group 'media' and added anyone who touches my media to it (mediabrowser, plex, sonarr, etc) so that permission were easier.

tymanthius

And it gets more fun. I installed MB3 on my home server, and it complained about some mono bits.  So I let apt-get remove the bits it didnt' like, then reinstalled & it grabbed everything it did like.

Ran into the same 'it won't play' issues.

So I set up the media group, set permissions, and did a symlink of ffmpeg etc.  But it still won't play.  I'm guessing it's a mono thing, but would appreciate input.

Home system is same version of ubuntu 14.04, same updates. Similar hardware.

EDIT:

My VPS has mono 3.10.0.  Home system had 3.2.8.  Which should have worked.  Updated to 3.12, same issue.  Trying 3.10.0 now.

Edited by tymanthius

thefirstofthe300

Does the ffprobe symlink in the server's data directory actually work or is it broken?

If it isn't broken, what is the output of running "ffprobe /path/to/a/video/file.ext" via the terminal?

The logs are filled with errors related to ffprobe.

Edited by DaBungalow

tymanthius

I noticed that. But I don't understand it.

Here's what I get if I run ffprobe as me. I'm in a group that includes mediabrowser, but I'm also the direct owner of the files.

ffprobe version 0.10.12-7:0.10.12-1~precise1 Copyright © 2007-2014 the FFmpeg developers
  built on Apr 26 2014 09:49:36 with gcc 4.6.3
  configuration: --arch=amd64 --disable-stripping --enable-pthreads --enable-runtime-cpudetect --extra-version='7:0.10.12-1~precise1' --libdir=/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu --prefix=/usr --enable-bzlib --enable-libdc1394 --enable-libfreetype --enable-frei0r --enable-gnutls --enable-libgsm --enable-libmp3lame --enable-librtmp --enable-libopencv --enable-libopenjpeg --enable-libpulse --enable-libschroedinger --enable-libspeex --enable-libtheora --enable-vaapi --enable-vdpau --enable-libvorbis --enable-libvpx --enable-zlib --enable-gpl --enable-postproc --enable-libcdio --enable-x11grab --enable-libx264 --shlibdir=/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu --enable-shared --disable-static
  libavutil      51. 35.100 / 51. 35.100
  libavcodec     53. 61.100 / 53. 61.100
  libavformat    53. 32.100 / 53. 32.100
  libavdevice    53.  4.100 / 53.  4.100
  libavfilter     2. 61.100 /  2. 61.100
  libswscale      2.  1.100 /  2.  1.100
  libswresample   0.  6.100 /  0.  6.100
  libpostproc    52.  0.100 / 52.  0.100
Input #0, mov,mp4,m4a,3gp,3g2,mj2, from '/media/video/tv/2.Broke.Girls/Season04/2.Broke.Girls.S04E01.And.the.Reality.Problem.SDTV.mp4':
  Metadata:
    major_brand     : isom
    minor_version   : 1
    compatible_brands: isom
    creation_time   : 2014-10-27 15:02:08
  Duration: 00:21:48.07, start: 0.000000, bitrate: 959 kb/s
    Stream #0:0(und): Video: h264 (High) (avc1 / 0x31637661), yuv420p, 720x404, 846 kb/s, 23.98 fps, 23.98 tbr, 24k tbn, 47.95 tbc
    Metadata:
      handler_name    : L-SMASH Video Media Handler
    Stream #0:1(und): Audio: aac (mp4a / 0x6134706D), 48000 Hz, stereo, s16, 109 kb/s
    Metadata:
      handler_name    : GPAC ISO Audio Handler

thefirstofthe300

What about the symlink in the server's program data folder? Does it work? Does ffprobe exist there?

tymanthius

Yes it exists, and if I specify the path to /var/lib/mediabrowser/ffmpeg/20150124/ffprobe to run on the same media file, it works the same (as expected).

thefirstofthe300

Is that a copy of the binary or a symlink?

What is the output of 

ls -l /var/lib/mediabrowser/ffmpeg/20150124/

tymanthius

It's a symlink - I had to create it by hand, just like I did on my VPS. VPS seems to be working fine.

Output:

tymanthius@home-server:~$ ls -l /var/lib/mediabrowser/ffmpeg/20150124/
total 4
lrwxrwxrwx 1 mediabrowser mediabrowser   15 Feb 12 11:03 ffmpeg -> /usr/bin/ffmpeg
lrwxrwxrwx 1 mediabrowser mediabrowser   15 Feb 12 11:03 ffplay -> /usr/bin/ffplay
lrwxrwxrwx 1 mediabrowser mediabrowser   16 Feb 12 11:03 ffprobe -> /usr/bin/ffprobe
drwxr-xr-x 2 mediabrowser mediabrowser 4096 Feb 12 10:38 fonts
You have new mail in /var/mail/tymanthius
tymanthius@home-server:~$

thefirstofthe300

What happens when you manually ffprobe this file: /media/video/movies/adults/Twilight.New.Moon/Twilight Saga 2 2009 New Moon.mp4???

tymanthius

What happens when you manually ffprobe this file: /media/video/movies/adults/Twilight.New.Moon/Twilight Saga 2 2009 New Moon.mp4???

My server might explode.  What can I say? I have teen girls.

But it does spit out normal output if I use quotes.

thefirstofthe300

Haha. Understandable.  :) Proud to say I have never seen Twilight.  :)

So it sounds like the file itself is fine and that MediaBrowser for some reason doesn't have the ability to probe the file for some reason.

What happens if you change the owner of the file to the mediabrowser user?