No connection after Beta update

roberthleeii

Della Dog

Check uPnp on your router. The beta version tries connecting on two ports now, 8089 and ?. I was manually forwarding port 8089, vice relying on uPnp.

When I turned on uPnp I saw that MB was trying to use an additional port.

I opted to revert back to stable vice figuring it out.

Something's different about the port(s).

Edit

(It seems this has been addressed in an update.)

Edited by Della Dog

fuzzthekingoftrees

I had the same issue. When I checked my windows 8 firewall I found that my network connection was set to public and mediabrowser only receives connections for networks marked private.
The firewall config for media browser seems to be correct, if I was running mediabrowser on a laptop I probably wouldn't want it to open ports when I was connected to unknown networks. So it looks like Windows is at fault. This seems to be a Windows 8 thing as the public/private connvention is hidden on Windows 8 and although that is how it is marked in the firewall config the actual setting is called "Find Devices and Content".

On Windows 8.1 to change this setting you need to

1. Click settings from the charms bar
  2. click you network icon
  3. click view connection settings
  4. click on the name of your network
  5. Flick the switch under "Find Devices and Content" to On

Only do this if you are happy with the internal security of your network as it will open other ports as well. If you're not happy with the internal security of your network but still want mediabrowser accessible on your lan. You'll need to go into the firewall and change the mediabrowser rules to allow for public networks.

Paddyboon1

I am just wondering if anyone can help me, I having some serious issue with media browser server, when I add my tv shows file to be scanned windows freezes and I have got to do a hard re start, this only happens with this file and media browser. I can play the files through vlc with no issues what so ever so ndon't think there is any issues with the disk itself or windows as everything else works absolutely fine, anybody any ideas?

Also when I go into the plugins catalog I can only see very limited options for themes and so on, is there anyway that I can see all of the themes and other plug ins available?

Angelblue05

@@Paddyboon1

Hi there, from what you are saying, it doesn't seem your issue is related to the one mentioned in this topic. Is it possible for you to start your own topic? http://mediabrowser.tv/community/index.php?/topic/790-how-to-report-a-problem/ This will ensure you get the proper help. :)

Edited by Angelblue05
  • Like 1

Hello,

I know I don't post often but after the last update I can not connect to my server from outside devices either. I did not realize this as my oldest was away on a School program. Tonight I see none of our ipad devices connect all have server not reachable. My ip did not change and nothing on my PC except the latest build. I did see earlier this week I had to update the local url to get to the server but did not realize at that time no outside device could not connect.

What changed here and it is not just me but not everyone?

****update***

checked my router and I am forwarding port 8096 and 8920 to my internal address.

Checked with Netstat -an and I listening on ports 8096 and 8920

Not sure where else to look on this but surely I am not the only one. Trying to connect with the iPhone app

***further update***

Tested from outside that application was not listening to the port. Compared my firewall setting to another MB server and see no connection to:

mediabrowser.serverapplicaiton.exe anymore. Enabled for Private and Public now my service is reachable.

Question is why did this change?

m

Regards,

Mark

Edited by Info1

CashMoney

I had the same problem (I think). The MB server was reporting it's IP address as 127.0.0.1 to everyone/every device on my internal network, so naturally only clients on the server could access; all the other clients were trying to access their localhost server which doesn't exist. I had to clear my old firewall rules and re-allow access on the server to fix it. Windows 7, 64bit. I also use Sphinx Firewall Control.

Edited by CashMoney